Is There Any Relationship Between Toilet Type And Distance Traveled?

system 4-50

67 members have voted

1. 1. My Main Toilet Option Is

• Pumpout and I always empty it at the same place
    • Pumpout and I empty it at one of two places
    • Pumpout and I empty it at one of three places
    • Pumpout and I empty it at random places
    • Cassette and I always empty it at the same place
    • Cassette and I empty it at one of two places
    • Cassette and I empty it at one of three places
    • Cassette and I empty it at one of four places
    • Cassette and I empty it at random places
    • Neither, I just practice restraint
    • Neither, I don't have a boat

Featured Posts

What is a portapotti?

Assuming that is a serious question-

It's like a cassette loo but it's free standing and not built in.

Generally the term 'cassette' is reserved for built in loos with a slide out cassette holding tank.

thetford-porta-potti-335-chemical-toilet.jpg

Just curious.

And I'm curious about what you mean by distance travelled. Distance travelled between each emptying/pump-out or distance to nearest sanitary station from home mooring?

Most toilet threads aren't worth reading, but here we have a poll .......... a cue for popcorn?

Why no inclusion of Portapottis in the poll? Is this deliberate discrimination or a troll?

:cheers:

What about those with older technologies......

1304-l.jpg

I said i was going to mind my own buisiness,but i had one of the originals on my converted lifeboat years ago.The galvanized steel job with a wooden seat. Trixie's dad is being towed at sea sitting on one in my story.

Sorry, the questions should say "Cassette or Portapotti etc", functionally they are very similar. Is there a generic term?

As for the "older technologies", my father-in-law provided these at a holiday cottage we went to every year, used by up to 18 people. They were emptied into a hole dug in the bottom of the garden at the beginning of each year. The garden though large was full of boats (sailing) and so after every four years it was necessary to dig the next hole in the same place as four years previously...

"Random places" means (proper) places that you don't visit frequently, not unauthorized places.

The last elsan point I visited (last Friday) was pre-loaded with **** to within 4" of the top and was clearly blocked. I had fortunately emptied earlier in the day elsewhere and I was just checking where the facilities were in case I needed them when passing another day, but what do you do if you are full? Do you always keep enough space in reserve to get to another station?

The last elsan point I visited (last Friday) was pre-loaded with **** to within 4" of the top and was clearly blocked. I had fortunately emptied earlier in the day elsewhere and I was just checking where the facilities were in case I needed them when passing another day, but what do you do if you are full? Do you always keep enough space in reserve to get to another station?

Ah, good old self pumpout. It will eventually make elsan type bogs extinct.

If it was at a sani station with a loo then you at least have the option of emptying down the WC - if not then if you are really stuck I would wonder which is the lesser of the two evils burying it or lobbing it in the cut - my preference would be the former but not sure TBH, luckily so far never experienced this. That said managing wees wouldn't present a big problem but the other .....

Don't forget you can pitch up at a PO machine at a marina which has broken down PO machine presenting you with the exact same problem only with a much bigger amount to deal with..

I wonder how many people actually choose the type of loo they end up with.

No doubt everyone sets out with a preference for one or the other, in the same way one might have a preference for portholes over rectangular windows, but surely the vast majority of people buying their first boat, buy second hand not new build.

I know from my own experience, that buying second hand means making many compromises to your list of ideal preferences and I wouldn’t be surprised if the type of toilet isn’t one of the most often compromised.

I imagine once you have lived with the type you end up with, you become a convert, whatever it is and however you use your boat.

If that is true, this poll is flawed.

Joshua

I imagine once you have lived with the type you end up with, you become a convert, whatever it is and however you use your boat.

Perhaps there should be a "I ripped out a perfectly good pump out system and replaced it with a cassette." option.

Don't think that I want to be the next one in to use the bog. :sick: Also in most toilets there is a 'don't do it' notice.

I agree - but faced with no alternative what's the other options??? apart from the two I suggested.

Well the hire boats in the 60s/70s used to provide you with a spade. :unsure:

I have a small 'army issue' surplus one in my my mooring kit locker - never used it for anything yet though...