A documentary made in the early part of 1970 following the Whitlocks

Roxy

Featured Posts

Oh dear, it was Carls was it..?? So what is it about my comment thats firstly so wrong and secondly requires someone to start swearing. There is no need for that kind of neglect to anything - regardless of your circumstances - especially if you are passionate about its heritage.

Whos post had swearing in it ?

Maybe its time you stopped digging the hole or you will soon be in Australia......... :rolleyes:

Oh dear, it was Carls was it..?? So what is it about my comment thats firstly so wrong and secondly requires someone to start swearing. There is no need for that kind of neglect to anything - regardless of your circumstances - especially if you are passionate about its heritage.

I would think that wooden spoon you're stirring with might need some TLC after all the use its getting

Most of us know exactly what circumstances led to the demise of Lucy, and it was not for the want of trying by Carl who spent years trying to find a new owner. It is a credit to him that he managed to stave off impending destruction until he did find someone who had the time and resources to restore her. Frankly if you do not know the circumstances, you are hardly in a position to criticise, regardless of your kneejerk reaction.

I actually saw Carl and his team when thet were raising Lucy in preparation for her short journey to Braunston, and I have seen her there since. It will be a long job to restore her but the fact that the last commercial wooden working boat to be built will be saved has a lot to do with Carl's passion for heitage.

I knew Lucy's first owner John Knill, who was passionate about canal carrying, and I am sure he would have been delighted to know that she was being restored, his son and grand daughter certainly are.

Edited by David Schweizer

Moronic trolling..!!! FFS take a look at those 2 pictures and you tell me what the average person would think. Its not that great a time period for that much decay. I'm not responding to the rest of Carls abusive crap, its all he seems capable of.

Oh I will ... yes I did get invloved with you before and I seem to remember after a few pages of abusive twaddle from you it was decided I was right all along and yes Umbriel is beyond repair, no, nobody is interested in rebuilding her, not even her wooden boat loving owner, and what would most likely happen is BW will come along with a dredger and hoik her out in bits. WHATS HAPPENING..!!!

Moronic trolling..!!! FFS take a look at those 2 pictures and you tell me what the average person would think. Its not that great a time period for that much decay. I'm not responding to the rest of Carls abusive crap, its all he seems capable of.

Oh I will ... yes I did get invloved with you before and I seem to remember after a few pages of abusive twaddle from you it was decided I was right all along and yes Umbriel is beyond repair, no, nobody is interested in rebuilding her, not even her wooden boat loving owner, and what would most likely happen is BW will come along with a dredger and hoik her out in bits. WHATS HAPPENING..!!!

Who are you accusing of trolling?

it was decided I was right all along and yes Umbriel is beyond repair

Umbriel is not beyond repair. it is in better condition than Lucy is, which is being repaired.

Umbriel's problem is nobody is interested in taking her on, for repair.

Why don't you get involved in a discussion that you have some knowledge of...if it exists?

Most of your posts contain some form of attack dont they... interesting.

Your initial post was an attack...interesting.

I gave my boat away before I could rebuild it, due to personal circumstances that were beyond my control.

It needed a complete rebuild when I got it and it needed a complete rebuild when I passed it on.

You obviously have not read the whole of this thread, or others, because I have explained the circumstances that meant I had to put my family before a boat.

If you have read the whole of this thread then your comments are an unprovoked attack from an insensitive twat.

Edited by carlt

My first post wasn't an attack, it was an observation. How could something become that decayed in such a short time if not neglected by an un caring owner. I have had all sorts of reasons for not doing things but decided that the real reason i didn't do them was because I didn't actually want to.

Dont be pedantic - Umbriel is beyond repair..she's not the last wooden, and she's not on some old film.

and another little dig eh.... tourette like.

Just ignore his threads Carl. Not worth getting worked up about.

I don't know you apart from on here, but I do know enough to know what you are saying. A slap of paint hides a multitude of sins. Rot in this instance.

I sold a house with dodgy window frames once. I bunged in a couple of lengths of timber in the appropriate places added paint and it sold with no mention of rotten window frames.

Martyn. PS. They were really rotten.

My first post wasn't an attack, it was an observation. How could something become that decayed in such a short time if not neglected by an un caring owner.

Because what Andy painted over was tinplate, covering the rotten wood (you can see the clout holes, in the second picture).

The snapped plank, in the second photo was where someone tried stealing the tunnel hook by ripping it off, with a mooring spike.

As I said, you don't know what you're talking about and, armed with the information that I had already provided, your comments are either an unprovoked attack, from an insensitive arsehole, or the words of a fool who hasn't bothered reading the whole of the thread.

Edited by carlt

...and, as my last post, before stopping feeding the troll...

Here is a picture of Lucy, a couple of weeks after I bought her....

LucyS.jpg

I would guess, from Evo's uneducated eye, it has deteriorated badly, between Andy's fresh paint job and the guy I got it off saying he was abandoning it.

mike_3.jpg

Edited to add: Is that "Harry", on the hard, in the background? If so then the photo dates back to the mid 80s, not the 90s.

Edited by carlt

FFS take a look at those 2 pictures and you tell me what the average person would think. Its not that great a time period for that much decay.

I might not be your average person, but I can tell you that a commercial wooden canal boat required a complete rebuild every twenty years, besides regular docking. They were not built for a long life, just a hard one. Once rot forms around the spikes, something which can only be prevented by using copper spikes or wooden trenails, there is little that can be done besides cosmetic hiding of the rot, and, to the knowledgable eye, the 1990s photo of Lucy suggests this has happened.

Whether it was Carl's boat or not, it makes no difference. The inference you have made is to deterioration of a boat (only a small part of which can be seen) that has deliberately been mutton made to look like lamb in one shot, old mutton in another, and heaping blame on unknown persons without knowing the individual circumstances surrounding either those persons and their relationship with the boat.

Before criticising anothers walk, try having their pins and plates in your leg and Arthritis in your bones. Got them already? Then you should know how it feels.

Twenty years apart? Get to sixty, and you'll be wishing you could do what you did when forty - and that could be with care and a good constitution.

Carl..Good job one of us has some self control then. No comment or inference was ever made about family circumstances.

Derek_R...I motorbike raced for 10-12 years, now at 51 I have my fair share of arthritic joints and broken bones - or are you making a weird point.

I meant by me. I'll say again..surely you didn't live on it in that state.

The back cabin was uninhabitable when Andy had it in the late 80s. I made it warm and dry enough to be the toilet room.

The photograph you seem to think reflects the period when I lived on it was taken after it had been left for 2 years and the doors and hatch had been removed after thieves had hacked at it with crow bars.

The main hold had a professional under-tarp conversion and was warm, dry and had as many mod cons as I needed.

I meant by me.

Your assertions indicated that you either hadn't bothered reading the whole thread, didn't have the intellect necessary to understand it or were so insensitive that you didn't care.

Edited by carlt

Ok, swearing and a couple of posts removed.

Please please can we keep this thread on topic rather than derailing it into nasty and personal territory? I don't want to lock it or remove it as there is some fascinating history here and it would be a shame for people to not be able to read it.

Please please can we keep this thread on topic rather than derailing it into nasty and personal territory? I don't want to lock it or remove it as there is some fascinating history here and it would be a shame for people to not be able to read it.

Well moderated, LM. Keep it up. In spite of the anger it has been a fascinating read.

Nick

Thank you Lady Muck also Thank you David for posting my pictures.

In post 41 the first picture I am asking for help.

This photo was taken i belive in the late 70's the Man in the middle is uncle Ben (Benny) Nixon,i think we

may have been in the Long Buckby or Braunston area.

The puzzle is who are the other two men as far as i can remember they where both ex working boatmen.

Does anyone recognise them?

The smaller group photo was @ Braunston in 2010.

left to right Violet Humphries nee Lane (her mother in law was on of my Grandads sisters.) myself,

Charlie= Violets brother, George Humphries his mother Emma was also another of my Grandads sisters

( see a canal people pages 30,94 & 95)Laura Carter, Joan Humphries these are all part of my family tree.

The larger group was taken at Braunston this year

left to right standing =

Lesley =Daughter to Ben Nixon,George Humphries, Pam = Grandaughter to John Harrison also linked to the Holt & Maunders,Septon boatmen,Jenny & her two Daughters linked to the Harrison, Maunders & Easthope line,Gillian & husband Geff she is daughter to Ted Bannister senior & Hilder Harrison,Dennis Monk g grandson to Lizzie Nixon nee Monk.

sitting

Laura,myself, Arther Monk, Ted Bannister junior.

• Greenie 1

I actually saw Carl and his team when thet were raising Lucy in preparation for her short journey to Braunston, and I have seen her there since. It will be a long job to restore her but the fact that the last commercial wooden working boat to be built will be saved has a lot to do with Carl's passion for heitage.

LUCY was not the last commercial wooden (narrow) working boat to be built. The last commercial wooden (narrow) working boat to be built was RAYMOND (and I do not think 'carlt' has had much to do with RAYMOND), with ELSIE and HAZEL built in the period between them.

For those who do not know LUCY (1953), ELSIE (1956), HAZEL (1957) and RAYMOND (1958) were all built at Braunston by Samuel Barlow Coal Company Ltd., with all but LUCY being for their own use.

LUCY was not the last commercial wooden (narrow) working boat to be built. The last commercial wooden (narrow) working boat to be built was RAYMOND (and I do not think 'carlt' has had much to do with RAYMOND), with ELSIE and HAZEL built in the period between them.

For those who do not know LUCY (1953), ELSIE (1956), HAZEL (1957) and RAYMOND (1958) were all built at Braunston by Samuel Barlow Coal Company Ltd., with all but LUCY being for their own use.

It is widely suggested, though, that Elsie, Hazel and Raymond were actually rebuilds of existing Barlows boats, reusing old ironwork.

Lucy was, I am led to believe, the last scratch built boat, using new ironwork.

I'm not sure why my involvement with Raymond has to do with anything though I was invited to be a trustee on 2 occasions. I declined both invitations.

Edited by carlt

It sis widely suggested, though, that Elsie, Hazel and Raymond were actually rebuilds of existing Barlows boats, reusing old ironwork.

Lucy was, I am led to believe, the last scratch built boat, using new ironwork.

I'm not sure why my involvement with Raymond has to do with anything though I was invited to be a trustee on 2 occasions. I declined both invitations.

And that is certainly what John Knill told me.

Edited by David Schweizer