Another problem!

Featured Posts

I

Iain - thanks - ive tried pumping the primer on top of the fuel filter, as suggested in the manual and by another user here on CW. However, i'm not getting the fuel coming out of the top of it ...all I do hear when I pump it up and down is a trickling noise from somwhere (cant figure out where its coming from?)

This cross posted: have you loosened the bleed screw? What comes out? Air, air bubbles in diesel, diesel?

Thanks Chris - to be honest I was thinking along these lines myself after reading the troubleshooting etc in the Beta online manual.

Id given up tonight as its too dark down there even with a torch , plus when the fitter installed it, the way it's positioned means I have to take some of the surrounding floor/woodwork out to get to that bleed screw!

Oh and yep, I do know where the alternators are - all hope isn't lost!

EDIT IN RESPONSE OF C PINK:I didnt open the screw Chris no. I just tried the priming pump until i realised re-reading the beta manual that i also have to open the bleed screw too - guessing nothing WILL come out til I open that screw up will it?

Edited by lewisericeric

Ive had that beta manual up today Quo - trying to find all the bits and pieces and trying to find everything thats in the pics! ive located the filters now, but as I said I just cant get it off (which is probably a good job anyway, as I havent got one to replace it with yet)

Going back to my comment about it being a "crunching" noise, that was mostly when it was on yesterday. It was running normally, and then started to make a lot more of a noise than just the usual revs. Now its just not firing, it'll start but not fire into full ignition. Give it four or five attempts and it does fire into full igntion - but then you hear the revs slowing down and it completely cuts out now.

Iain - thanks - ive tried pumping the primer on top of the fuel filter, as suggested in the manual and by another user here on CW. However, i'm not getting the fuel coming out of the top of it ...all I do hear when I pump it up and down is a trickling noise from somwhere (cant figure out where its coming from?)

Trickling noise is the fuel return running back into the tank.

These engines are fairly good at self-bleeding so ignore any suggestions of undoing injector pipes etc. - not necessary.

It does sound like air in the fuel still. If the separator is full of air, it can be difficult to get rid of just by pumping the primer on the engine-mounted filter. You might need to undo the bleed on the separaor to let the air out. If the separator is above the current level of the fuel tank, you might have to turn the fuel off, remove the bleed screw and pour in fuel using a small funnelled until it is full, replace the screw and of course turn the fuel back on before trying to start.

When operating the manual pump, it should feel and sound very smooth and quite firm. If it is pulling in air you can normally feel/hear bubbles coming through - a suggestion of crackling or fizzy sound. I suppose if you continued pumping for a very long time you might eventually get rid of all the air further upstream but it is easier to get the air out at the separator as mentioned above. It would be best to ensure that the tank is reasonably well filled before doing this.

Are there really people incapable of checking the oil level with a dipstick or is this a windup?

A few years ago now,when i used to do a milk round,i pulled up at a customers house and he was changing the oil in a morris minor.he had filled it up right to the top of the rocker cover.so to answer your question,yes.

A few years ago now,when i used to do a milk round,i pulled up at a customers house and he was changing the oil in a morris minor.he had filled it up right to the top of the rocker cover.so to answer your question,yes.

Lol. So you put him right then??

Did the gent listen?

Bet it put a smile on your face

Col

I remember milkmen! Cheerful souls who delivered on time every day and left the milk on the step, where it stayed, untouched, until it was brought indoors.

Hats off to the chap who accepted your advice with good grace, presumably he had managed to drain the old oil and found where to fill with new without recourse to the yet to be invented internet and would have eventually found the dipstick.

It is very difficult to give advice to someone who purports to know absolutely nothing about the most basic operations, the best advice seems to be keep quiet and let the o/p find out for himself. Or call in the experts. Both these have already been suggested.

Hi Guys

OK, so we bled the fuel filter and there was air in it - started the engine and hurray! It works!!!! We're still of course going to change the fuel filter but just so, so pleased we got it going. Its been going about half hour now so definately on my way to having some hot water.

Thanks to all you guys who helped - you really did, and if nothing else gave me a boost of morale at a very low point!

We're still going to hook up the calorifier to 240v just incase and might even probably use that rathetr than having the engine on to heat the water. If nothing else, all this has taught me a bit more about my engine (and what level to fill the oil up to! Ha!) and also made me find out about being able to hook up the calorifier to 240v.

Thanks again guys - was really great the amount of replies that were on here.

Lewis

Hi Guys

OK, so we bled the fuel filter and there was air in it - started the engine and hurray! It works!!!! We're still of course going to change the fuel filter but just so, so pleased we got it going. Its been going about half hour now so definately on my way to having some hot water.

Thanks to all you guys who helped - you really did, and if nothing else gave me a boost of morale at a very low point!

We're still going to hook up the calorifier to 240v just incase and might even probably use that rathetr than having the engine on to heat the water. If nothing else, all this has taught me a bit more about my engine (and what level to fill the oil up to! Ha!) and also made me find out about being able to hook up the calorifier to 240v.

Lewis

Well done, you did it despite the cynics. Now make yourself a diesel tank dipstick with an old broom handle or similar, and get some diesel in the tank :)

Hi Guys

Lewis

:cheers: :cheers: Well done that novice.

Three thing from your post 1: Are you running in gear? prop hitting the bottom or something wrapped round? 2:(only the bottom of the engine needs oil then it is pumped round)use the dipstick on the engine to check oil level (do this weekly) same with checking cooling water (don't forget antifreeze) 3: if your fuel tank is almost empty then any boat movement will cause small waves to run from side to side in the tank stirring up the mud.

**** Woops didn't notice that this thread was 7 pages long****

Edited by The Bagdad Boatman (waits)

Glad you're sorted Lewis

There's lots of good info on here about what maintenance is needed eg here discussion on maintenance schedule

And if you search the "boat building & maintenance" or 'new to boating' section there are lots of tips about how to do the various tasks.

ignore the scoffers, we all had to start somewhere. To amuse you heres my first oil change