Another problem!

Featured Posts

Hi guys

Its me again - with another daily problem/issue!

Last night I had the engine on to heat the calorifier (after kindly using the neighbour's engine key as mine still isn't replaced from snapping it!). Anyway, it was on about an hour, and then the engine started making a really horrible crunching noise/choking noise.

I thought perhaps I'm low on diesel (which i am - just looked this morning). Didn't think anything more of it last night. We went to turn on the engine this morning, and it's not coming on just making a coughing noise when turning the ignition. We finally got it going, but what the hell is wrong with my engine!?!?!? Could it be something serious? Could it be that we're just really low on diesel????

Edit: its almost like it's strugging to keep the speed of the usual engine turnover , if that makes sense?

Edited by lewisericeric

Hi guys

Its me again - with another daily problem/issue!

Last night I had the engine on to heat the calorifier (after kindly using the neighbour's engine key as mine still isn't replaced from snapping it!). Anyway, it was on about an hour, and then the engine started making a really horrible crunching noise/choking noise.

I thought perhaps I'm low on diesel (which i am - just looked this morning). Didn't think anything more of it last night. We went to turn on the engine this morning, and it's not coming on just making a coughing noise when turning the ignition. We finally got it going, but what the hell is wrong with my engine!?!?!? Could it be something serious? Could it be that we're just really low on diesel????

Ignore me I see you have checked the fuel level.

if you are low you could be sucking in crud from the bottom of the tank and/or water.

Not sure that would give the symptoms you describe mind .

Whats the oil pressure gauge saying when it's running? and what is the oil level?

Edited by MJG

We dipped the tank this morning and there's there was about an inch of diesel showing on the piece of wood we used. Too little?

I'm pretty sure that will be the problem - I never let mine get anywhere near that low.

I would do what LoneWolf has suggested renew the filters and put a good load of fresh diesel in the tank. You may be lucky and not have caused any damage to the injection system that requires rectification.

I never let mine go below a quarter full and even then I get twitchy....

Thanks guys we'll try adding a few litres of diesel, got a jerry can so will head off to fill up - ordinary diesel from a garage is ok isn't it? We're no where near anywhere that has red diesel?

Ordinary diesel is just fine (Just expensive!!)

Thanks guys we'll try adding a few litres of diesel, got a jerry can so will head off to fill up - ordinary diesel from a garage is ok isn't it? We're no where near anywhere that has red diesel?

The only diference between red diesel and normal is the dye added, oh and the price.

Sounds like your going to have to do all the above.After putting in fresh fuel let it rest for a half hour or so to let any muck settle.I always recommend this whenever you refuel. Then if your engine has an electric fuel pump it will probably self bleed providing your engines batteries are charged right up.

As I have only run out of fuel once after someone helped themselves to a majority of it and the tank was clean, can someone please explain how when the tank starts to get empty you start to suck up water and crap that may be in the tank. Surly if this was up to the level of the dip tube you would be drawing it in all the time as the diesel is on top of it and it its below the dip tube how does it suddenly increase in volume to reach the dip tube when the diesel is low?

Mystified in Lowestoft

• Greenie 1

As I have only run out of fuel once after someone helped themselves to a majority of it and the tank was clean, can someone please explain how when the tank starts to get empty you start to suck up water and crap that may be in the tank. Surly if this was up to the level of the dip tube you would be drawing it in all the time as the diesel is on top of it and it its below the dip tube how does it suddenly increase in volume to reach the dip tube when the diesel is low?

Mystified in Lowestoft

Modern diesels return a fair bit of fuel back to the tank, especially if they are "self bleeding" so the lower the fuel level goes the easier it is for that return fuel to stir up the muck - especially if it returns to the top of the tank.

As most of us have no real idea where the bottom of any dip tube is I always recommend assuming 4" on the dipstick is empty.

Mystified in Lowestoft

Dear Mystified in Lowestoft.

I was wondering about that too.

Mystified in Lowestoft

I think the suction starts to disturb it and sucks it up like a vacuum cleaner.

It started and seemed to be keeping the same "tempo" as what it used to, then it started slowing down again and now won't "ignite" at all.

The oil alarm then started bleeping (like it does when you switch the ignition to "heat" )

When we opened the oil cap it looks empty - im guessing it shouldnt look empty? So guessing we need a top up of oil too - but do we just fill all the way to the top??????

It started and seemed to be keeping the same "tempo" as what it used to, then it started slowing down again and now won't "ignite" at all.

The oil alarm then started bleeping (like it does when you switch the ignition to "heat" )

When we opened the oil cap it looks empty - im guessing it shouldnt look empty? So guessing we need a top up of oil too - but do we just fill all the way to the top??????

Wooooooooha stop!!!!!

What does the dipstick tell you?

Roger

Don't fill it with that much oil whatever you do.

Only fill it to the max on the dipstick.

No offence but you sound like a real novice with anything engines and I would advise getting someone a bit more knowledgeable to have a look over it - you are likely to cause more problems than you solve.

The oil pressure warning beep will have kicked in as your engine started to falter.

I also take it you haven't renewed the filters as suggested so you are likley to be still sucking crud and or water into your system.