Another problem!

Featured Posts

Glad you're sorted Lewis

There's lots of good info on here about what maintenance is needed eg here discussion on maintenance schedule

And if you search the "boat building & maintenance" or 'new to boating' section there are lots of tips about how to do the various tasks.

ignore the scoffers, we all had to start somewhere. To amuse you heres my first oil change

How true.

Edited: Way too late!

I think you ran out of diesel.

I did the same the first time we ever went out in our boat. We now know a full tank of diesel will last about 9 days cruising with our Beta 43.

The engine ran started running roughly about two miles from Calcutt locks, causing a couple of bumps when it wouldn't rev enough to stop the boat at critical times. We were able to proceed but it kept faltering and running roughly.

We got through the top lock and finally the engine died. That night I checked the filters and tried to bleed the fuel system with the little priming pump on top of the engine fuel filter. I was watching for fuel coming out of the bleed screw at the top of the filter housing. All that came out was a kind of diesel foam. After 20 minutes it struck me I should check the level of fuel in the tank. There were about two inches on the dipstick but the take-off for the engine was obviously above this level. IN the morning we hauled the boat back down the top lock to Calcutt marina and filled up the tank. I was able to bleed the system in less than 5 minutes and the engine ran fine after that.

Edited by aread2

I've read some but not all of the posts... (Sorry!)

However the fuel problem reminds me of Dads boat a few yrs ago - ran fine forever until he ran it low on fuel, then trouble trouble trouble!

It was the infamous diesel bug - Didnt cause any probs until the tank was low , then up the intake it went !

The contents of the lift pump....

26082010047Small.jpg

This took a massive amount of bleeding to get running & get her home where we could treat the problem.

Dont want to worry the OP but something else to think about :help:

If the OP is a troll, he's come to just the right place to feed him.

90 responses for a question about an unspecified crunching noise from an OP who admits he can't even find his filters.

I am in awe of this guy.

Erm excuse me but I was like lewis and didnt even know where the dipstick was for my engine. You may be clued up on it but thats why we come to this website to find out these things. So if your not going to be helpful I suggest you keep your stupid sarcastic comments to yourself.

Regards

Rachel

• Greenie 4

Thanks guys - and thanks Rachael for your comments and support!

That's exactly the point - yes some of us do have boats and yet don't know the first thing about engines. It doesn't mean we shouldn't have a boat in the first place, or that we are morons and stupid. We just need patient people, like most of the guys who did offer advice here, and to be taught. Doesn't make me a troll

Thanks again ;)

Given you a greenie too roxie ;) - thanks for making me feel not so stupid :cheers:

Thanks guys - and thanks Rachael for your comments and support!

That's exactly the point - yes some of us do have boats and yet don't know the first thing about engines. It doesn't mean we shouldn't have a boat in the first place, or that we are morons and stupid. We just need patient people, like most of the guys who did offer advice here, and to be taught. Doesn't make me a troll

Thanks again ;)

Given you a greenie too roxie ;) - thanks for making me feel not so stupid :cheers:

No worries Lewis, just glad you got your engine running again with the help of most of these forum members bless em..You will always get one or somebody that will try to put you down, but there mostly the ones with the small willys hahaha

Im in the process of changing the oil on my boat at the mo with the help of my neighbour who bought the wrong oil filter, so my engine is in bits until he gets the correct one sometime this week, then will add new oil. If it wasnt for him I would be asking the same sort of questions on here, wheres my oil filter? how do I drain old oil out? but Ive now been shown and will know nextime how to do it myself.

Good luck and best wishies...

Rachel :cheers: