A lovely old photo! - at a price

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

While browsing eBay I spotted this. Having picked myself up off the floor after reading the price I realise it is possibly quite an interesting photo for the historians among you. The problem is it is very hard to make out much detail in the image

Old Photo

This is a well known and much published photograph. It depicts an unidentifiable Shropshire Union Railway Railways & Canal Company 'fly boat' at Owen Street, Tipton in about 1900. The master is apparently Charlie 'Flimpey'. I have got this detail from Black Country Canals where the photograph appears on page 20.

Personally I would not pay £1.00 for this photograph.

HOW MUCH??????!!!!!smiley-shocked016.gif

WTF....

The guy has several others. all much cheaper but just of boats and tunnels etc. I suspect the people in this one is what makes the seller think it has some more value - I know nothing about postcards - just thought it was an interesting picture for the historians - I suspect of it turned out the boat is one that is now fully restored then the current owner may well be happy to pay that sort of figure (if they have any money left after restoring the boat that is!)

While browsing eBay I spotted this. Having picked myself up off the floor after reading the price I realise it is possibly quite an interesting photo for the historians among you. The problem is it is very hard to make out much detail in the image

Old Photo

Whilst that might be an original its a very well known picture of a Shropshire Union boat at Owen St Tipton, you can still take the same image today as the cottages still exist. Boatmans Cabin Co reproduced the picture as apostcard in a series in the late 1980's, I must say the price is ridicolous for the one on ebay! Its been in my archive for years.

So here it is for just asking!

BCNSURCCHBTIPTONFAMILY.jpg

Oh and if you contact John Bolsom at High Line Yachting (Boatmans Cabin Co) he may still have some stock (01753 651496)

Edited by Laurence Hogg
  • Greenie 1

Whilst that might be an original its a very well known picture of a Shropshire Union boat at Owen St Tipton, you can still take the same image today as the cottages still exist. Boatmans Cabin Co reproduced the picture as apostcard in a series in the late 1980's, I must say the price is ridicolous for the one on ebay! Its been in my archive for years.

http://i490.photobucket.com/albums/rr267/LAURENCEHOGG/BCNSURCCHBTIPTONFAMILY.jpg[/img

Oh and if you contact John Bolsom at High Line Yachting (Boatmans Cabin Co) he may still have some stock (01753 651496)

Thanks for tha Lawrence - I wondered if it was a widely available image - it is as lovely as I thought it would be without the scrawl across it

BCNSURCCHBTIPTONFAMILY.jpg

i really do like you laurence.....atleast your version dosnt have "needless" written on it :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Strangley enough an old friend of mine who has dealt in antiques for years and very successfully too has recently made it clear of his new found interest in purchasing any old postcards especially those that would attract people with a local historic interest.

This particular genetleman wouldnt waste any time with something that doesnt yield a profit somewhere along the line. I suspect this to be the case with the ebay seller and maybe he is trying to exploit someone not quite in "the know"

Just as crabs will be enticed to a piece of red cotton bait, there will be someone somewhere who may fall for it.

Anyone researching their families history would (I think) be savvy enough to have researched enough published material to have found any such photographs, copied, or obtained them cheaply especially as they are so widely known.

'Dr. Who' scripts on the other hand, will appeal to collectors. What price? Xxx knows.

I wonder what my original Dr. Who scripts are worth?

:)

Priceless, ESP the William Hartnell era, the proper Doctor. I remember the first episodes in B& W. wonderful

You really have to be careful on eBay. There are so many chancers there. I have seen the same item at prices ranging from £3 or £4 up to £70 odd. Caveat Emptor

Ah! William Hartnell as the Doctor - I too remember the first, though now not in detail. Having looked again at some early versions, it is easy to cringe at the flimsiness of the props. A flight of steps would have stopped any Dalek invasion (perish the thought!). But then Saturday morning pictures always had space ships easily recognised as baked bean cans hung on fishing line with sparklers in the ends, and 'ray guns' of concentric pieces of wood. Loved them all the same.

Likewise with Star Trek. Then came Babylon Five.

Woops! Digressing again.

Priceless, ESP the William Hartnell era, the proper Doctor. I remember the first episodes in B& W. wonderful

You really have to be careful on eBay. There are so many chancers there. I have seen the same item at prices ranging from £3 or £4 up to £70 odd. Caveat Emptor

The scripts

The 3 Doctors (Working title "Black Hole"

3doctors_0001.jpg

Invisible Enemy

invisibleenemy.jpg

I remember the first episode "An unearthly child" very well. Hartnell for me will always be the best Doctor.

Barry Letts, now there's a name I had forgotten, a name which used to appear in the credits of numerous TV programmes.

Laurie, I gather you are a business associate of Bob Baker, but what was your connection with Dr. Who?

Ah! William Hartnell as the Doctor - I too remember the first, though now not in detail. Having looked again at some early versions, it is easy to cringe at the flimsiness of the props. A flight of steps would have stopped any Dalek invasion (perish the thought!). But then Saturday morning pictures always had space ships easily recognised as baked bean cans hung on fishing line with sparklers in the ends, and 'ray guns' of concentric pieces of wood. Loved them all the same.

Likewise with Star Trek. Then came Babylon Five.

Woops! Digressing again.

It is the same with Star Trek. When the first series were broadcast they were obviously State of the art at the time. But when you have grown up with the series and have seen the latest ones, it makes the originals look very amateur low budget productions.

Barry Letts, now there's a name I had forgotten, a name which used to appear in the credits of numerous TV programmes.

Laurie, I gather you are a business associate of Bob Baker, but what was your connection with Dr. Who?

The only connection I have with Dr Who (apart from being a Time Lord) is that I work/worked with Bob Baker and the late Dave Martin.

Me with a Dalek at the BBC.

I wanted a go in it but was told "You're too fat!"

lardalek1.jpg

Hard at work at Aardman Bob Baker & Nick Park

bobnickpark.jpg

Thank you Laurence, have a greenie.

Back in 2001 the "test" crew of NB "Barnet" on its first trip fully loaded paused to recreate the postcard (and have a few pints) at Owen St bridge in Tipton. The Fountain Inn is very reccomended!

Left to right, Stuart Hooper, Laurence Hogg, John Hodgkinson, Bob Williams, Nick Hill, David Lindon.

themobatTipton.jpg

The only connection I have with Dr Who (apart from being a Time Lord) is that I work/worked with Bob Baker and the late Dave Martin.

Me with a Dalek at the BBC.

I wanted a go in it but was told "You're too fat!"

lardalek1.jpg

We didn't get around to buying a TV till probably early 80s so never saw the programmes, but when we had the Toll House and ex GRW layby/sleeper depot at Bull's Bridge we were told that the very first Dalek appeared out of the underpass at the railway bridge at the end of our moorings on the beginning of the Paddington Arm. I peered in but could not see any more, and if there were they didn't ever bother our moorers. Their canal heritage is a bit tenuous though.

Edited by Tam & Di

We didn't get around to buying a TV till probably early 80s so never saw the programmes, but when we had the Toll House and ex GRW layby/sleeper depot at Bull's Bridge we were told that the very first Dalek appeared out of the underpass at the railway bridge at the end of our moorings on the beginning of the Paddington Arm. I peered in but could not see any more, and if there were they didn't ever bother our moorers. Their canal heritage is a bit tenuous though.

In the dreadful feature film they come out of the Thames. Pulled by ropes but we are not to know that.