Who do some people think they are ??

kiki

Featured Posts

Would it not be in the interests of said club to be accommodating to folk who arrive after some of their members have arrived, let them moor between you, you might actually encourage an increased membership and make some new friends.

It seems to me that the easy answer is for the club to get rid of the little man with a stick calling himself a commordore (a psychologist would have fun with someone having this title and not in the military - a bit like a chap calling himself an alpha male).

It seems to me that the easy answer is for the club to get rid of the little man with a stick calling himself a commordore ...

I can think of a better name for him, also beginning with "c".

I don't know whether there is enough space available in 'their arm' but as they all know each other, couldn't they have doubled moored ? thereby leaving space for others.

David

Would it not be in the interests of said club to be accommodating to folk who arrive after some of their members have arrived, let them moor between you, you might actually encourage an increased membership and make some new friends.

I made this point at the beginning of this thread, and if as the member of club has stated, many are suffering for the behaviour of a few, intead of taking the moral high ground why not get your house in order, strutting commodors ex and current should be more concenred about the image of their club.

Our complaing is not about overstaying, its about the arrogant attitude of reserving spaces, please see Dave Mayall comment re the 2 meter by 2 meter gazebo erected only to keep the rain from piddling on our heads, not to hire a DJ, PA system and hold a full on event in. Try and see the difference if you can.

This whole business of the title "Commodore" in a little boating club is nothing short of hilarious. Who the f*ck does he think he is? Little tinpot arsehole.

It's like the chairman of the local neighbourhood watch scheme calling himself the Chief Constable.

This whole business of the title "Commodore" in a little boating club is nothing short of hilarious. Who the f*ck does he think he is? Little tinpot arsehole.

It's like the chairman of the local neighbourhood watch scheme calling himself the Chief Constable.

or CAPTAIN MANNERING.:lol:

Brill, 'Nail head hit the' - Boat clubs are a bit like water based Golf clubs - parking space reserved for the Captain - (or Commodore). Interview before you can join.

Leo.

Now you're just putting ideas into their heads.

When i was looking for cheap moorings I contacted a yacht club (it might as well remain nameless because they're pretty much all the same).

"You'll be very welcome but you must meet the commodore, before you can be accepted."

"Sorry, who?"

"The commodore. Very nice chap, shouldn't be a problem."

The next sound he heard was a click and the dial tone.

It reduces a serious and enjoyable hobby to the level of playing with little plastic soldiers.

I declined an invitation to join the Masons, for pretty much the same reasons, which is a shame because I think a white lambskin pinny would have suited me.

>>>If I was to go to any of the busy and popular mooring locations on bank holiday weekend I would expect to find it full of people enjoying themselves in whatever manner they like to, whether as part of a club or not If I'm sensible I'll go somewhere else that weekend and go there the weekend after.<<<

I agree completely, especially when the Bank Holiday weather lives down to expectations. The Macc and UPFC are always (comparatively) busy on August BH weekend so I chose to do something that wasn't boat related.

Now you're just putting ideas into their heads.

When i was looking for cheap moorings I contacted a yacht club (it might as well remain nameless because they're pretty much all the same).

"You'll be very welcome but you must meet the commodore, before you can be accepted."

"Sorry, who?"

"The commodore. Very nice chap, shouldn't be a problem."

The next sound he heard was a click and the dial tone.

It reduces a serious and enjoyable hobby to the level of playing with little plastic soldiers.

I declined an invitation to join the Masons, for pretty much the same reasons, which is a shame because I think a white lambskin pinny would have suited me.

So we won't be meeting on the level.

:)

To Chris Pink

You are, probably on purpose, missing the point completely. It was not that the place was crowded at all, on a party weekend the more the merrier and it would have been lovely to join in with them and their disco, but when you are greeted with a waving stick it somehow puts you off joining in.

I made this point at the beginning of this thread, and if as the member of club has stated, many are suffering for the behaviour of a few, intead of taking the moral high ground why not get your house in order, strutting commodors ex and current should be more concenred about the image of their club.

Our complaing is not about overstaying, its about the arrogant attitude of reserving spaces, please see Dave Mayall comment re the 2 meter by 2 meter gazebo erected only to keep the rain from piddling on our heads, not to hire a DJ, PA system and hold a full on event in. Try and see the difference if you can.

Hypocrites.

Of course your complaint is not about overstaying, You arrived on Wednesday and did not leave until Monday. You overstayed by three days. Your tame barrack room lawyer said:

So, the club gave £300 to an organisation that manages 48hr visitor moorings on behalf of BW, and that organisation turned a blind eye to blatant overstaying by the club.

I would like to see him condemn his cronies for doing the same before I take any of his comments seriously.

I repeat. The club had permission from Ian Edgar of the IWPS to erect the marquee and hold the event. The club was requested to try to keep all the disruption confined to the lower basin.

Your barrack room lawyer will claim that thwe IWPS has no authority to issue such permission but they think that they have and so does the NCCC. The IWPS manage the site for BW.

You entered Bugsworth basin and when you attempted to go into the lower basin a disabled man asked you not to do so because he was trying to comply with IWPS instructions. You took umbrage at this because you saw this basin as ideal for your own small gathering and spent most of your time at Bugsworth composing and posting silly complaints about the NCCC instead of relaxing and enjoying yourself.

Then we got this:

In answer, we are the winging pathetic licence payers of British waterways who choose to avail ourselves of the facilites available to us, freely when we choose to, I would not join this group of bullies if it was the last club on the waterways, their behaviour belies everything that boating stand for, freedom of movement, of occupation for a legal lengh of time, respect for others on thewaterways, and why the hell should I go somehwere else, i will not be pushed out of the only pleasant and relaxing space provided for us within a large radius.

and now to add to our joy that it is well past the legal hour for noise control, the marquee, which was erected in defiance of BW explicit instructionn is now regurgitating a repeptitive durge that can only be likened to a conga line of flatulant orangutangs[

Utter nonsense. All the club members are licence payers too. What is the difference between them trying to have a good time together and you doing the same with your three boats?

And you were occupying the upper basin moorings for a legal length of time? I think not. So you were just as guilty as the five boats in the vanguard of the NCCC gathering of preventing others from mooring there. I repeat - hypocrite.

So you don't like the music. Neither do I much but there were a few dozen licence paying people attending the evening in the marquee including some non members of the club who did like it.

I visited the upper basin at 10pm on Saturday night and I had to strain to hear the music so you must have moved nearer in order to evaluate its quality.

The club HAD permission despite your claim that it did not.

Stamping your little foot, jumping up and down in frustration, and condemning the NCCC on these forums will have little effect and will not prevent club members enjoying themselves.

Edited by AlanH

I repeat. The club had permission from Ian Edgar of the IWPS to erect the marquee and hold the event. The club was requested to try to keep all the disruption confined to the lower basin.

Your barrack room lawyer will claim that thwe IWPS has no authority to issue such permission but they think that they have and so does the NCCC. The IWPS manage the site for BW.

You entered Bugsworth basin and when you attempted to go into the lower basin a disabled man asked you not to do so because he was trying to comply with IWPS instructions. You took umbrage at this because you saw this basin as ideal for your own small gathering and spent most of your time at Bugsworth composing and posting silly complaints about the NCCC instead of relaxing and enjoying yourself.

Alan, you can leap to the defence of the NCCC if you wish.

However, it might be wiser if you and the club were to stop and take stock. Ask yourselves the question "Do non-members really think about the club in this way?"

I have to tell you that the answer to that question is "yes, a number of them do".

Now, you can either delude yourselves with the notion that all those who think that way are wrong, or you can accept that there is no smoke without fire, and that the antipathy is born of a genuine dissatisfaction with the attitude that the club as a body displays towards other boaters in the area.

As I am condemned by you as a barrack room lawyer, let me deal specifically with that area specifically.

I am interested to learn that IWPS gave permission and that they gave instructions that non-members should be directed elsewhere. You state that IWPS believe that they have the right to give permission. I am afraid that this assertion doesn't stand up to scrutiny. I have written confirmation from BW that IWPS (and specifically Ian Edgar) have been told that they are not allowed to grant permission for events, and that they are not allowed to reserve parts of the basin for particular groups of boaters. It has been made clear to IWPS that any requests to hold events such as the one organised by NCCC this weekend require written application for permission, as described at http://www.britishwaterways.co.uk/be-part-of-it/planning-an-event

So far as overstaying goes. I'm afraid that I don't know the exact times and dates when Kiki and the other two boats arrived and departed. As I have posted elsewhere, the birth of our grandson meant that we could only visit by car. I have no reason to doubt your assertion that they stayed around the same length of time as some of the club boats.

You will be delighted to learn that I also have correspondence from BW on the subject of staying beyond the 48 hour limit (a limit which is, I believe, currently unsigned). Here, BW say that they are happy to delegate first line management of the limit to IWPS, and that provided that boats staying longer than 48 hours do not prevent new arrivals finding a mooring, they are happy that boats should stay longer. When mooring space runs out, boats that have been there longest should be asked to leave to provide space. When I was there on Saturday Evening, three boats arrived and found moorings in the Upper Basin, including at least one member of NCCC, and I counted a couple of other mooring spaces. Doubtless if the moorings had become completely full, IWPS would have asked all the longest overstaying boats to move on.

If there was enough mooring in the other arms what was the problem. Friends usually want to sit next to each other in a pub and save spaces. Would you insist on sitting on a chair in the middle of them. Our boat club has a commode door, her insignia is a tastfully painted toilet seat. It is a very exclusive club.

Sue

If there was enough mooring in the other arms what was the problem. Friends usually want to sit next to each other in a pub and save spaces. Would you insist on sitting on a chair in the middle of them. Our boat club has a commode door, her insignia is a tastfully painted toilet seat. It is a very exclusive club.

Sue

People have favourite spots to moor, and each part of the complex has its own attractions.

The question on this occassion wasn't a lack of moorings (it WAS a problem at Easter), but a lack of choice.

There was mooring space in a location which arriving boats wanted to use, and they were not allowed to use it, because somebody with no authority to do so sent them away.

I guess I can understand where Kiki is coming from, even though it might all see a bit petty. A couple of years ago I was on The Lancaster canal and during the period I was there a cruising club based on The Bridgwater decided to have there annual cruise on The Lancaster. When I arrived at Tewitfield they were all there as I pulled into one of the very few moorings vacant a guy came running up to me and said I could not moor there as they were keeping the space for "The Commodore" I naturally took no notice and continued to moor. I was told that if I continued to moor in that space they would untie my boat as soon as said "Commodore" arrived. Now as stupid as this might seem had they just come up to me and said they were waiting for a friend to arrive I would have happily moved to one of the other few moorings left (not as nice as the one I was mooring at) but the fact that they came up to me all superior saying that was the space reserved for "The Commodore" as if I should bow out of respect to his station in life made me stay where I was. I know silly and petty but these things can rub me up the wrong way!!!