Worsening Water Situation on the Leicester.....

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Restriction: Grand Union Leicester Line - Lock 18 Kibworth to Lock 30 Kilby

02 Aug 2011 until further notice

Associated Regional Office: South East Waterways

Further to the restriction that commenced 1st August from Kilby Lock 30 northwards (ref no. 5622), we are now extending the length of canal to be locked overnight southwards to Kibworth Top Lock 18.

These measures are necessary given the extremely low water levels in reservoirs that supply the Leicester section of the Grand Union Canal.

Customers are advised that passage between Kibworth Top Lock 18 and Kilby Lock 30 will take a full day and therefore they are likely to be held within the locked section.

It is essential that boats double up when using locks in this location, we ask that boaters be patient and wait for other boats in order that we can conserve the little water we have available.

BW apologises for any inconvenience this may cause.

(Enquiries: Steve Morgan 01908 302 500)

We are starting to wonder where it is sensible to go for our big summer trip.

This was one possible route, but it is not sounding good.

I probably won't be able to moor at my mooring when I get back to the Lee - what a bummer after being away for three months! Last I heard a few days ago was that it was about 6 inches deep there!

(N.B. that's not the navigation channel, which is on the opposite, towpath side).

Edited by Lady Muck

Hope the rest of the Leicester line is OK this weekend, moving Ariel off the Leicester line back 'oop north' (well at least back on the Bridgewater).

Not much water oop north, Harecastle down about 6" found the bottom of the tunnel today, Got stuck at the northern end too.

Andrew

Oh lovely. That's the route I'd decided on taking.

Ariel is a bit lighter now after unloading all of the iron and steel but it doesn't sound very welcoming.

Hope it pishes it down before the weekend.

don't worry Liam take your time and you'll get there, we used to run Communicator,Coleshill and Baldock across the summit, rarely did we get into trouble, doubt much has changed in the meantime.

if you get stuck, just wait, either someone will come along or the level will rise slightly over night

Hope the rest of the Leicester line is OK this weekend, moving Ariel off the Leicester line back 'oop north' (well at least back on the Bridgewater).

I am not sure where you are on the Leicester Arm, but we were on it last week and the water levels were decidedly low. It was ok from Norton Junction to Crick, but from there through Yelvertoft we were dredging the bottom for much of the way, it got increasingly worse the nearer we got to Foxton. We gave up on the second day and turned at Downton bridge.

I guess that, even unloaded, Ariel is deeper than us at thirty three inches, so be prepared for some mud stirring, and a lot of keeling over when passing other boats, good luck.

Edited to add:- just realised that you will probably be going the other way, so my comments will be irrelevant! :blush:

Edited by David Schweizer

just hide in the massive reed beds below the Welford Arm (if they are still there) no one will see you! :lol:

I am moored in Welford Arm at present but moving today. Have had no problems so far coming from the South going North. Why is it you go ages not seeing another boat then as soon as you hit a narrow bit with the Reeds they appear!!!!

I am moored in Welford Arm at present but moving today. Have had no problems so far coming from the South going North. Why is it you go ages not seeing another boat then as soon as you hit a narrow bit with the Reeds they appear!!!!

One of my favourite bits of canal there John, make sure you take a walk round the resovoirs above the Wharf,you will see how little water is left.

I am not sure where you are on the Leicester Arm, but we were on it last week and the water levels were decidedly low. It was ok from Norton Junction to Crick, but from there through Yelvertoft we were dredging the bottom for much of the way, it got increasingly worse the nearer we got to Foxton. We gave up on the second day and turned at Downton bridge.

I guess that, even unloaded, Ariel is deeper than us at thirty three inches, so be prepared for some mud stirring, and a lot of keeling over when passing other boats, good luck.

Edited to add:- just realised that you will probably be going the other way, so my comments will be irrelevant! :blush:

Ariel is at Crick at the moment. I'll be heading towards Norton Junction so it sounds as though it shouldn't be too much of a struggle.

Ariel probably isn't any deeper really, but when under way the back end digs in a fair bit, probably heading upto the late 30's!

Just a query about the restrictions, which I hope someone actually there can answer. How many locks are locked between Nos 18 and 38? In other words, will it be poossible to use the locks within the restricted section(s) outwith trhe prescribed hours? And will this result in drained pounds if no water is coming down from the top, ie Lock 18?

Mac

Apparently the summit pound was noticed to be a big higher than yesterday, today.

I was speaking with my parents the other day who were passing Middlewich and noticed a BW bod with a measuring stick which was being used to measure the distance between the top of the coping and the water line, they were also looking quizically at the bywash weir.... maybe they had just found it and didn't know what it was.

I shouldn't be so synical.

If we get much more water our koi will be swimming on the lawn! The water level in the pond was well down on Tuesday due to evaporation over the last week - today its almost level with the top of the wall that surrounds it.............Plenty of water here. Flash floods in Goole not far from us.