Worsening Water Situation on the Leicester.....

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Saw you on the water point yesterday afternoon.

Hi

I've only just read this.

You should have waved :)

Jean

We got stuck several times on the Leicester Arm.

Now back on the Main Grand Union and still hitting the bottom and getting stuck on occasions if we veer from the centre, though its much better than the Leicester section.

The lock-keeper at Foxton yesterday said that they were thinking of putting restrictions on the locks there.

Warnings by BW about water levels in the Northamptonshire, Leicestershire, Warwickshire areas of the Grand Union, South Oxford, North Oxford, and GU Leics Line are due to a serious shortage of water in the resevoirs that feed the canals into their top pounds. The pumping facilities that BW have can back pump water to a degree but cannot top up the resevoirs. Steve Morgan of British Waterways - South East Region has kindly supplied me with some pictures taken at these resevoirs this week. He appreciates that the restrictions and the delays they cause are unfortunate but is keen to confirm how necessary they are in order to conserve the limited stocks there are. Extra care in using and sharing locks is the only way we can survive this current problem

lowwater2011044-Saddington.jpg

Saddington Resevoir

lowwater2011024-Suly.jpg

Sully Resevoir

lowwater2011020-Welford.jpg

Welford Resevoir

wormleightonreservoir2260mon14-08-11.jpg

Wormleighton Resevoir

Boddingtonreservoirpeg1northdamlevelat2650munderweir.jpg

Boddington Resevoir

lowwater2011016-Nasby.jpg

Naseby Resevoir

a boat went through Loughborough today towards Barrow, returned some time later saying BW wouldn't let them through as the pound was 18" lower than normal. I assume Barrow deep possibly?

Apparently what this boater told us was a load of bunkum...BW say it's not restricted Barrow area!

Foxton Locks are closed to the majority from Friday. On waterscape:

Waterway: Grand Union Canal Leicester Line »

From 24/08/2011 until further notice

With effect from Friday 26th August passage through Foxton Locks will be restricted to essential passage ONLY.

Essential passage is defined for those boats who have a home mooring or are a hirer based between Foxton Locks and Kings Lock 38 (GU Leicester Line) Passage will continue to be allowed between the hours of 9.00am - 4.00pm daily.

Lock Keepers will have lists of boats in the above categories and will be enforcing strictly against this.

Further Information - Saddington Reservoir is the main feed for the current restricted section (between Kibworth Top Lock and Kings Lock) on the GU Leicester Line.

Existing stocks at Saddington will last only 3-4 weeks based on current use, when this supply is exhausted a full stoppage will result in this location.

We would advise that only boats with a draft of 2ft 4inch and less attempt to navigate through this restricted area given restrictions in supply and fluctuating levels.

Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

Apparently what this boater told us was a load of bunkum...BW say it's not restricted Barrow area!

only problem we found in Barrow on Sunday was that no pubs serve food after 4pm!!!!!

Looks like I'm stopping put for a while yet then.

Since doing the Lee and Stort in Feb/March I have only seen decent rainfall once and never seen any pounds higher than normal at all.

only problem we found in Barrow on Sunday was that no pubs serve food after 4pm!!!!!

Looks like I'm stopping put for a while yet then.

Since doing the Lee and Stort in Feb/March I have only seen decent rainfall once and never seen any pounds higher than normal at all.

Yes, the Hunting lodge is the only place on a sunday eve in Barrow....sad but true.....

Yes, the Hunting lodge is the only place on a sunday eve in Barrow....sad but true.....

Ally should me and my daughter still travel to Loughborough at the weekend? Im getting a bit worried as I really dont want to get stuck on the bottom or in Loughborough for that matter as I have to be back work for Tuesday, not that I would mind like but my boss may beg to differ :lol:

Ally should me and my daughter still travel to Loughborough at the weekend? Im getting a bit worried as I really dont want to get stuck on the bottom or in Loughborough for that matter as I have to be back work for Tuesday, not that I would mind like but my boss may beg to differ :lol:

You'll be fine, your on a river, a placid one, and it may not exactly be freeflowing, but it will have enough water for your trip.

The Soar is roughly at the level of the water table, so when it dries up, there will be problems far worse than it not being navigable.

You'll be fine, your on a river, a placid one, and it may not exactly be freeflowing, but it will have enough water for your trip.

The Soar is roughly at the level of the water table, so when it dries up, there will be problems far worse than it not being navigable.

Awwww thankyou, I was thinking we was going to be stuck in our moorings all weekend then. :(

Would the correct advice be though due to the current water situ - too wait for another boat to share the locks with? I was going to do this anyway....

Thanks again MP :cheers:

Awwww thankyou, I was thinking we was going to be stuck in our moorings all weekend then. :(

Would the correct advice be though due to the current water situ - too wait for another boat to share the locks with? I was going to do this anyway....

Thanks again MP :cheers:

I would try to share on that stretch as some of the paddles and gates are heavy and stiff,I came through that stretch a couple of weeks ago and it was hard work on my own. There's no lack of water though, if it's still going down the wiers,it'll fill the pounds.

I would try to share on that stretch as some of the paddles and gates are heavy and stiff,I came through that stretch a couple of weeks ago and it was hard work on my own. There's no lack of water though, if it's still going down the wiers,it'll fill the pounds.

OK thanks for that, I certainly will struggle then if you did, so I will wait for another boat.

Hi Roxy....as said before, Kegworth deep,& Bishops meadow are big locks single handed on a cruiser, so try and share....good practice anyway.....Loughborough lock is very heavy bottom gated too. For some reason Loughborough moorings have really filled up yesterday...dunno if people are staying the w/e or not. Water levels are indeed ok between you and loughborough, bit shallow in places but not enough to create any problems.

Hi Roxy....as said before, Kegworth deep,& Bishops meadow are big locks single handed on a cruiser, so try and share....good practice anyway.....Loughborough lock is very heavy bottom gated too. For some reason Loughborough moorings have really filled up yesterday...dunno if people are staying the w/e or not. Water levels are indeed ok between you and loughborough, bit shallow in places but not enough to create any problems.

Thanks again Ally...I haven't got my daughter with me now but will still have my friends dog with me for company. So will cruise to Loughborough on the Sunday Morning. I have internet access on the boat so if you could keep me posted regarding mooring space nearer the time I would appreciate it.

thanks again

Rachel

Moorings very full, bit folk coming & going all the time, you should be fine somewhere I would think

Ok thanks for that Ally, going to watch the start of the F1 first then travel down. Hoping I can get moored up somewhere

Was at Kings lock on Tuesday, Lenghsman said water was 18" down. We got stuck every rew yards. I think our draft is 31".

Lenghsman had to flush couple of inches though but very hard going. We did phone before leaving and wasn,t given much help.

Tried to turn around but couldn,t. After bumblebee lock things were easier and only dragged a few times.

did you not make it then Roxy? Not seen you here......

After all that, no I didnt Ally, got hassled by a bloke who had just bought a boat at Redhill, he kept coming to me while I was 'trying to watch the F1' bringing me sambuca, bannana's, strawberry's, books....He was pissed out his face and got told he had been since 8am in the morning, anyway I decided to go to sawley for a shower and some peace and quiet! When I got back to my moorings he came over and asked me if I would take his boat out because he hadnt got a clue how to drive it etc. If he hadnt of been so drunk and kept telling me I had nice eyes and trying to cop off with me I probably wouldve done. I had, had enough when he came back yet again asking if he could join me on my boat I said NO IM MAKING DINNER! :angry: I closed all the curtains and shut the flaps down on the hood. Not sure if he came back later as after I had dinner I put my jim jams on and layed in bed in the dark watching TV until I fell sleep which was quite early on.

Oh and forgot to mention while he was annoying me one of his 2 dogs had jumped off his boat but it was tied down and was hanging over the side of his boat by it's collar!!!!!!!! Some campers in a nearby tent alerted a canoist who paddled round and untied it, I heard someone shout who's dog is this? and it was his.

Saw him go out on his boat yesterday and he nearly grounded it and couldnt get it into gear, probably still pissed!!! I was thinking I hope youve got insurance.....anyway I came home as I'd had enough and to be honest spoilt my weekend.

Wish I had come straight to Loughborough now :lol:

Serves me right for wanting to watch the F1 - Sorry gone of topic but just thought I would explain.

no explanations required Roxy....but what an eventful day for you !!!! :rolleyes:

We have returned to base now for some time to get the engine sorted, hopefully once and for all...explore the other end of the soar sometime!.....friendly...but nice folk, even if we haven't so much water! ;)