Worsening Water Situation on the Leicester.....

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

If the summit pound is the bit between Watford Locks and Foxston Locks then yes their is plenty of water, well my boat is floating ok!!

Yes the summit pound seems perfectly normal, but I think it doesn't get its water from the same source as further north where the restrictions are.

Edited to say that nobody's answered my query about the locked locks - 3 posts back. Anybody there?

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

Just a query about the restrictions, which I hope someone actually there can answer. How many locks are locked between Nos 18 and 38? In other words, will it be poossible to use the locks within the restricted section(s) outwith trhe prescribed hours? And will this result in drained pounds if no water is coming down from the top, ie Lock 18?

Mac

it used to be kibworth top and bottom, and a couple on the way down to leicester, but don't know if its still the same.

Edit to add lock 30 Kilby and 38 kings used to be locked

Edited by hamsterfan

• 2 weeks later...

Travelled through Leicester today and now moored in Wigston. Coming out of the city, the levels are very low and a slow speed was the only speed to go ¨) I´m just glad the canal was quiet as there just wasn´t enough water for us never mind anyone else!

On another note I have twice got out of my boat to close the gates at Dunn Lock, which the local kids take delight in keeping open. After my last walk up to the lock to close the offending gates, no sooner had I got back to the boat then a group of kids came out of the bushes and opened them again. Maybe BW should consider locking them?

Travelled through Leicester today and now moored in Wigston. Coming out of the city, the levels are very low and a slow speed was the only speed to go ¨) I´m just glad the canal was quiet as there just wasn´t enough water for us never mind anyone else!

On another note I have twice got out of my boat to close the gates at Dunn Lock, which the local kids take delight in keeping open. After my last walk up to the lock to close the offending gates, no sooner had I got back to the boat then a group of kids came out of the bushes and opened them again. Maybe BW should consider locking them?

Or send Dave Mayall up their with a snipers rifle :rolleyes:

Nooooo ---- not more locks on that flight.

Can't really see the problem with the gates being open, but if you wanted to stop them, you could always let a few inches of water out. I know it's wasting water, but it would leak out anyway.

Wouldn't be a problem if the water levels weren't so low and if the back gate wasn't leaking so badly. Its cascading out like a waterfall.

We've been stuck a few times. The boat was hitting the bottom even in the middle channel.

According to Waterscape BW were locking the gates at 4pm but they obviously changed their minds

Came through a few days ago, and to answer my own query above, the locks locked between 4PM and 9AM were 18, 29, 30, 31, and 38. BW staff were present at 18, 29 and 38 to ensure that locks were shared and make boats wait for up to 2 hours for another boat.

Mac

Brother-in-law rang me from our boat yesterday saying they had flown through Foxton with only a 5 minute wait, unbelievable he said for a Staurday. However, then he ran into the low water stuff. He said some folk had gone down through the locks and then turned around and come back again because "its too shallow and kids were chucking stones at us". He was expecting a very long decent into leicester with a huge amount of waiting and lots of bottom dragging.

I wish he wouldn't tell me this stuff, i'd rather he just got on with it and brought the boat back asap..!!!!

We are stuck at Kilby until 9.00am tomorrow morning.

From today the hours are restricted to 1000 to 1400 hours, and BW are doing trheir damnedest to stop anyone going trhrough at all:

"Boaters are advised that locking down through Kilby or up through Kings Lock after

1000 hours will result in them being locked within the flight, as passage takes

approximately four hours. Please be advised that within this section we are aware

that there are areas where anti-social behaviour takes place.

British Waterways apologises for any inconvenience this may cause"

From today the hours are restricted to 1000 to 1400 hours, and BW are doing trheir damnedest to stop anyone going trhrough at all:

"Boaters are advised that locking down through Kilby or up through Kings Lock after

1000 hours will result in them being locked within the flight, as passage takes

approximately four hours. Please be advised that within this section we are aware

that there are areas where anti-social behaviour takes place.

British Waterways apologises for any inconvenience this may cause"

Hi Mac it was nice to meet you in Foxton.

This seems a bit crazy not sure how much water it saves to shorten the hours by 3. I would agree it is an attempt to stop boats without closing the canal. The hours could be even shorter as they will only let boats through in pairs and will hold you for 1 hour if they need to wait for another boat, meaning you could arrive at 10:00 am and not go through until 11am. I hope for boaters and BW's sake that nothing serious happens in Leicester during this crazy restriction.

Thankfully our lot made it through unscathed...but when I spoke to them on the phone they said it was horrendous. Boat ploughed its own trench through the mud most of the time, it definately dragged the bottom all the way. A very worrying experience and they suggested that if stays as bad as that they may aswell close it completely, its a joke.

Thankfully our lot made it through unscathed...but when I spoke to them on the phone they said it was horrendous. Boat ploughed its own trench through the mud most of the time, it definately dragged the bottom all the way. A very worrying experience and they suggested that if stays as bad as that they may aswell close it completely, its a joke.

To all intents and purposes, they have closed it, and no matter how much people dislike BW, the simple fact is that the water has effectively run out.

They are now in the position that they have just enough water left to provide a daily "wash though" so as to prevent stagnation, so that is what they are doing. They are allowing however many boats can pass through on the back of this necessary water movement to pass.

The only other alternatives that I can see would be;

1) Bury head in sand, until there really is no more water left, then close the canal and spend shed loads of money on aeration to keep the water from becoming stagnant.

2) Close the canal immediately and run water about as needed to keep the environment healthy, but allow no boats to pass.

Bloody hell, what a shame, its a popular ring aswell.

I was talking to the local farmer the other night and he said he hadn't know it this dry since 1976. It hasn't actually rained and by that he meant sustained rain since February he said.

Edited by Evo

To all intents and purposes, they have closed it, and no matter how much people dislike BW, the simple fact is that the water has effectively run out.

They are now in the position that they have just enough water left to provide a daily "wash though" so as to prevent stagnation, so that is what they are doing. They are allowing however many boats can pass through on the back of this necessary water movement to pass.

The only other alternatives that I can see would be;

1) Bury head in sand, until there really is no more water left, then close the canal and spend shed loads of money on aeration to keep the water from becoming stagnant.

2) Close the canal immediately and run water about as needed to keep the environment healthy, but allow no boats to pass.

Then close it!!! Still I can get a taste of Long Term Mooring have a very nice spot at Kilby Bridge so happy to stay here for the duration.

Then close it!!! Still I can get a taste of Long Term Mooring have a very nice spot at Kilby Bridge so happy to stay here for the duration.

If they closed it, but continued to run some water down to prevent stagnation, you can bet your life that people would complain about that as well!

You couldn't be in a better spot for the facilities.

Do they still do the 'Pauper's' night at the pub?

yes it is good, I am opposite the water point and elsan disposal. Bus into Leicester or Wigston every half hour and like having a permanent mooring for free!!! Not that I want a permanent mooring will sit it out for maybe 1 month and if I still can not get through will have to turn round, if that is possible as water also short on upper level.

We came through from the Loughborough end last week and were aware of the restrictions so timed our journey to suit them (we had 7 hours allowed between locks 30 and 38 then). Can't say we touched the bottom at all although a couple of pounds were low and we had to stay in the middle,our draft is only about 2ft though. Currently just north of Yelvertoft. This is the first time for us on the Leicester arm and we have enjoyed the rural remoteness of much of its length and the Market Harborough and Welford arms. Enjoyment enhanced by the small number of boats on the move no doubt because of the restrictions

Mick

Edited by zodiak

Any further news on its condition,, weve had some rain but would think that this dosnt make an immediate or that bigger difference quickly..

we were hoping to do the Leicester late next week... but we draw 3ft so figure we may struggle round.

so may opt to run around B'ham instead..

feedback - updates appreciated

cheers

Came through from Kibworth top to king's today. First pound and pounds above and below lock 35 were around 14 inches low but passable. Last pound ran around under 103b. BW let down a couple of inches to get me to King's. I draw 2ft3in. Reservoirs are very low and depths will vary from pound to pound from day to day.