What do you put in your loo?

Davo_Willow

Featured Posts

Some boater friends of mine told me to use any cheap bio-washing powder in my cassette loo, breaks down bio waste and kills nasty smells. I hate the blue stuff so think this is a good alternative, even if used between blue rinses ... not seen this on here so ...

What does the team think?

Thanks - Davo

We dont use anything in our holding tank and it doesnt smell but then again it is vented in a proper fashion.

The toilet bowl gets cleaned with a dot of disinfectant in fresh water but other than that no chemicals go in the tank.

We dont use anything in our holding tank and it doesnt smell but then again it is vented in a proper fashion.

The toilet bowl gets cleaned with a dot of disinfectant in fresh water but other than that no chemicals go in the tank.

Have not tried it, but saw on a Liveaboard section somewhere, that Brewer's yeast did the trick, not for holding tanks though, start with a clean cassette and add four tablets, (cost about £5 per 1000), let it do it's stuff for about two days, little or no smell.

We don't use anything in our holding tank and it doesnt smell but then again it is vented in a proper fashion. The toilet bowl gets cleaned with a dot of disinfectant in fresh water but other than that no chemicals go in the tank.

Same here - except that I use a tiny drop of Elsan Green to clean the bog since I have some left over from before the macerator and holding tank conversion last year. The installer recommended no additives to the tank - and that seems to work just fine!

Thanks for all the responses!

Has anyone else tried the bio washing powder and do you think this is a good idea and will do the job?

Not sure what it would do to the seals TBH.

We've (well, PB has; I haven't inspected it closely) have been impressed with Thetford Organic.

Where did you hear about washing powder? It has a ring of plausibility to it.

From some long time live aboard friends - the bio powder from Aldi is very low cost and loo smells like ... well laundry most of the time. It only needs a couple of egg cups per load cycle, so a large box goes a long way.

I know there is a lot of talk about toilets on this forum but have never seen this mentioned, so thought I'd share and ask for the collective wisdom of this forum.

I watched a TV program once about conducting the perfect murder. They showed how bio washing powder would dissolve a dead body (they used a pigs trotter) by immersion at the right temperature for a few days. The trotter, including bones, turned into gloop! Imagine this would work with richard the thirds too.

Have not tried it, but saw on a Liveaboard section somewhere, that Brewer's yeast did the trick, not for holding tanks though, start with a clean cassette and add four tablets, (cost about £5 per 1000), let it do it's stuff for about two days, little or no smell.

Why not for holding tanks?

Just don't ever be tempted to put it in the top (despite the name) - It encourages grey sludge to grow in the flush-level indicator tube.

I'm using the same stuff as Lady M at the moment - Fenwicks (thanks, I'd forgotten the name), because I found it in a discount store in Newark at about a third of the price of any of the chandleries' offerings. I do put it in top and bottom. I don't have a flush-level indicator tube, so that'll be alright then?

We've (well, PB has; I haven't inspected it closely) have been impressed with Thetford Organic.

Me too. Much less stinky than the green chemicals that both Elsan and Thetford do.

Never heard of the washing powder thing, but my two concerns about trying it would be a) What it might do to the seals? and B) Could it cause expansion and make the tank puff up? This has happened a few times to us when using Thetford chemicals, usually on very hot days.

edit: I'm gonna leave the accidental smiley in B)

Edited by Doug Scullery

Me too. Much less stinky than the green chemicals that both Elsan and Thetford do.

Never heard of the washing powder thing, but my two concerns about trying it would be a) What it might do to the seals? and B) Could it cause expansion and make the tank puff up? This has happened a few times to us when using Thetford chemicals, usually on very hot days.

edit: I'm gonna leave the accidental smiley in B)

Ill let you know as ive just primed my spare cassette with washing powder as a tester.

I wouldnt think it would cause any more damage to the seals than other chemicals.