Priority at Bridges

jelunga

Featured Posts

It's a race to the death is it not - as soon as you spot a boat coming the other way equidistant from the bridge - the boat with the fastest most powerful engine wins....full throttle...easy...

Narrow-boat jousting we call it...

I have just been in a small discussion with an arrogant anal opening over who had priority at a bridge. We were both approaching a bridge only qide enough for one. There were boats moored my side of the bridge. I think if we had both carried on at the same speed we qould have met dead centre. I therefore enfagwd astern and stopped as soon as I could. The wind caught my boat and she startwd to slew sideways. Hiwever, this anal orifice continued through the bridge at speed When I asked him why he had not slowed or made any attempt to avoid collision he states that "I had the bridge".

So my question is what are the rules / niceties governing who has priority at bridge holes?

At the moment it seems to be whoever gets there firsr or has the biggest or oldest boat.

Any thoughts?

ME :cheers:

Ok so if both boats are equidistant from the bridge and one is reversing, what common sense would you use?

My point wxactly. Obviouly the nearer boat goes through first, but whar if equidistant? I think it would be near impossible to suggest a rule that covers all. I was interested to know why the other ignoramus thought "he had the bridge"?

I was interested to know why the other ignoramus thought "he had the bridge"?

Because you gave it to him by reversing?

I'm just trying to reason his thought processes. Maybe he didn't have any ;)

Tony

Now that does make sense

This seems the most sensible answer so far and is actually logical. I say this because using musdywaters rule of bridge hole priority In my case today I was in the right and the anal orifice should have given way and not steam rollerwd his way through!

Hurrah we will adopt this rule

Because you gave it to him by reversing?

I'm just trying to reason his thought processes. Maybe he didn't have any ;)

Tony

It was in the discussion after when I asked him why he had not even slowed the answer was "because I had the bridge".

Now I know that having sexual relations with an animal is lookwd down upon, but what about with a bridge? Maybe it was a bridge over troubled waters?

I was taught that, all things being equal ie. in this case boats being equidistant from the bridge, that the boat that passes on the towpath side should be the one to give way -assuming that the boats would pass on the right as usual. This is supposed to be so that the towpath side boat has somewhere to jump off and hold the boat if necessary.

Now that does make sense

Also the towpath side hopefully has deeper water

So when you are presented with this situation just erect a small sail on the roof ( mini washing line with tee shirt ? ) and claim sail over power.

Simples

That made me chuckle - have a greenie

We must be the only boat here who ends up in a Mexican stand-off at bridges then

'After you', 'no, after you'

Richard

Nope that's us too. Let's just hope Iona and Tawny Owl never meet at a bridge hole cos we'll be there all day :D

Generally I find progress is quicker (if there is even the slightest doubt) to slow down and wave the other boat through from as far back as possible, so he will clear the bridge without the need for any reversing.

Obviously this doesn't work for bridges on bends etc. But then it is best to apply Sod's Law which says even if you have not seen another boat all day you WILL meet one in the bridge, and approach accordingly.

I have the opposite problem - Chertsey (I'm told) looks so intimidating front end on that people try and give way (or run away) when really they shouldn't. Either I engage in a pointless game of 'after you... no after you...', or I go for it and get labelled an arrogant (former) working boat owner. But yes, when I do give way, or when passing an oncoming boat, the most common fault on the other's part is to go too bloody slow. I've adjusted my speed so as to pass at a suitable spot, and they bugger it up by slowing down too much instead of getting out of the way. There really is no need to slow down to pass an oncoming boat, unless the circumstances are such that you would slow down anyway (such as bridgeholes). If there was any doubt over whose bridge it was, I would hold back because I know Chertsey can stop pretty efficiently and in a straight line.

And just for the record, in the unlikely event of me hitting something head on, Chertsey, with its rivets, would probably come off worse. On the other hand, that high stempost can do damage if it hits something broadside, so just keep going, stay straight, and trust me to steer round!

Lots of talk of horn signals on this thread - OK two posts - were they ever adopted on canals?

Yes:

BW Bye-Law 12 (part of) 1965

12.(1) Every power-driven vessel navigating on any canal shall be furnished with an efficient whistle.

12.(2) When vessels are in sight of one another the master of a power-driven vessel under way in taking any of the courses hereinafter referred to in this Bye-law shall indicate that course by (the) following signals on such whistle, namely: One short blast to mean "I am altering my course to starboard", two short blasts to mean "I am altering my course to port", three short blasts to mean "my engines are going astern", four short blasts to mean "I am about to turn or to turn round". This signal shall be followed after a short interval by one short blast if turning to starboard or two short blasts turning to port and shall be repeated to any approaching vessel, whereupon such approaching vessel shall take action to avoid collision.

So, the first vessel to "whistle" one short blast has the right of way because then "such approaching vessel shall take action to avoid collision". Or he / she can chose 3 short blasts to let the other boat pass however it still remains the responsibility of such approaching vessel to take action to avoid collision - get your blast(s) in first - simple!!

I would say priority has to be with the metal one,plastics should give way.;-)

Correct - We usually do ,

1) We can stop Quickly

2) We can maneuver easily in reverse

3) In general we are a friendly bunch

4) If we are owners of a splitter & a member of CWF we are humbled in the presence of the superior Sewer tube owners

But truthfully we dont want 20 tonnes of Steel making a bloody mess of our craft !

To be fair , even if skippering Dads Tube , I will adopt the same & stop, A wave 'forward' & a smile is usually concurrent to a happy days boating. Even tho we are usually on a tight schedule if on our main yearly trip , the odd bridge hole holdup is ok......

I wonder if the folks th OP met shout 'Come On Come On ' at Zebra Crossings when driving ?

I wend my way along the canal.

I see a bridge.

I wonder if anyone is coming the other way.

I get close to the bridge and see someone equidistant

I stop and wave them through if they have not already waved me through

As we pass we wave and say hello/thank you

I have never, never had a problem with this approach

• Greenie 1

So, the first vessel to "whistle" one short blast has the right of way because then "such approaching vessel shall take action to avoid collision". Or he / she can chose 3 short blasts to let the other boat pass however it still remains the responsibility of such approaching vessel to take action to avoid collision - get your blast(s) in first - simple!!

Which is also why one should also sound one's whistle without an approaching boat - to prevent motor vehicles from crossing the bridge whilst you are passing under it; both to prevent it collapsing onto your vessel and to generally confound the landlubbers.

Which is also why one should also sound one's whistle without an approaching boat - to prevent motor vehicles from crossing the bridge whilst you are passing under it; both to prevent it collapsing onto your vessel and to generally confound the landlubbers.

I have to admit a few times when going under a bridge and a car approaching the bridge has (needlessly) blasted his horn disturbing the peace, it have returned that blast. Naughty I know rolleyes.gif

Edited by john6767

In the case of arriving at the same time, both skippers should do rock, paper, scissors. :help:

When we are out on Sickle, I tend to think that double plated reinforced bow for ice-breaking can beat "rock", "paper" or "scissors"........

Unless it's "Tycho" coming the other way, when I'd definitely pull over!.......

Guest wanted

This seems the most sensible answer so far and is actually logical. I say this because using musdywaters rule of bridge hole priority In my case today I was in the right and the anal orifice should have given way and not steam rollerwd his way through!

Hurrah we will adopt this rule

It was in the discussion after when I asked him why he had not even slowed the answer was "because I had the bridge".

Now I know that having sexual relations with an animal is lookwd down upon, but what about with a bridge? Maybe it was a bridge over troubled waters?

Or trouble over bridgewater? (one for all the hmhb fans out there!)

When we are out on Sickle, I tend to think that double plated reinforced bow for ice-breaking can beat "rock", "paper" or "scissors"........

Unless it's "Tycho" coming the other way, when I'd definitely pull over!.......

I would give way to Sickle because I can stop in a straight line :D

I tried giving three blasts and going astern a while ago only to find the boater coming the other way thought I was letting rip at him on the horn for coming on, rather than politely saying "I am going astern" ... by the time I realised why he was shouting at me he was passed and gone! Oh well you can't win them all!

I wend my way along the canal.

I see a bridge.

I wonder if anyone is coming the other way.

I get close to the bridge and see someone equidistant

I stop and wave them through if they have not already waved me through

As we pass we wave and say hello/thank you

I have never, never had a problem with this approach

Yes, on canals with no current, as long as the intentions of the respective boats are made clear to each other then does it really matter who goes though a bridge hole first? Is there some rush? If we're equidistant I usually signal the other boat to come through first - being 12' wide I have to take some canal bridge holes fairly slowly.