Composting toilets

jonk

Featured Posts

It had better not be. It's a breach of the bye-laws, will fail your BSS and is bloody disgusting

Richard

That is an interesting response! The canals would probably be cleaner if they were 100% wee, wouldn't they?

How does weeing in the canal legally differ from weeing in the hedge? On what grounds would a BSS fail?

Not that I am advocating pumping straight into the canal, just giving one possible option!

Everything connected with loos can be thought of as disgusting, but they are an important part of life, especially on a boat :lol:

Composting toilet anyone?

John

That is an interesting response! The canals would probably be cleaner if they were 100% wee, wouldn't they?

How does weeing in the canal legally differ from weeing in the hedge? On what grounds would a BSS fail?

Not that I am advocating pumping straight into the canal, just giving one possible option!

Everything connected with loos can be thought of as disgusting, but they are an important part of life, especially on a boat :lol:

John

Many might be surprised to learn that urinating in rivers is actually good for plant life and pollution in general. I suggest that those with sepatate tiolets pump their urine directly overboard and help clean up our rivers and canals :rolleyes:

http://www.howtodothings.com/home-garden/how-to-use-urine-as-a-fertilizer

John

Do you want quotes?

Bw Byelaws section 40

Boat safety scheme, section 9.2

The disgust is my own

Richard

<snip>

Disgusting? There speaks a townie.

<snip>

Oh, OK then.

Richard - ex-chairman Kenilworth Young Farmer's club

Edited by RLWP

I first travelled on a canal boat in the late 1960's...as a scout.

It was a 72 footer and there were about 12 of us on board in hammocks...along with a 'bargie' and his helper.

We were on there 15 days..I seem to think from Warwick/lymington area..(may have been a Kate boat ??) ...and went up to Llagollen.

At that time...this boat and many others had a hand macerator sea toilet...YUP...it all went in the canal. Being 'lads'...we often marvelled at the bits coming out the side of the boat !

I fell (was probably pushed in) at some point...and within a day had glands that swelled like a football...and had to go onto antibiotics...

Ah...the good old days...

bob

Clearly BW is very out of date with it's rules.

There should be a serious rethink as urine in the canals and rivers would obviously be an assett and help prevent pollution.

It makes their rules an ass, like making it against the law to help an old lady across the road LOL

ETA

I think I'll install a urinal.

Edited by Julynian

On boats, what you have in mind may be a cassette toilet for urine only.

Richard

Jokingly I was insinuating a pub toilet urinal :lol:

However if my compo loo doesn't cope with urine in the future a cassette would the perfect solotion, and I would probably throw it over board knowing what I know now, I really don't think BW would prosecute in light of this information.

It strange to think that all the hassle and effort of disposing of boat generated Pee over the years could well have had a very positive effect on river water quality as it stands today, or at the worst caused no harm at all. It would also have resulted in a big reduction in the total amount of sewage to be refined and probably have saved lots of money in the process.

I thought BW was supposed to look after our waterways, surely they have scientists or ecologists in their midst who know the science of this.:wacko:

Edited by Julynian

Many might be surprised to learn that urinating in rivers is actually good for plant life and pollution in general. I suggest that those with sepatate tiolets pump their urine directly overboard and help clean up our rivers and canals :rolleyes:

I think you have misread the info given in yuor link - I read it as "use your wee on your garden, it will prevent it being released into rivers and polluting them".

• Greenie 1

I think you have misread the info given in yuor link - I read it as "use your wee on your garden, it will prevent it being released into rivers and polluting them".

Using urine also cuts down on river pollution -- urine is a major source of nitrogen that contributes to river eutrophication if expensive denitrification is not used at the water treatment plant. And it's not a backwards step, it's space age technology -- NASA has used urine in hydroponics systems!

Edited by Julynian

While I am not squeamish about people putting wee in the cut (it's people shovelling in dog crap that annoys me), the fertiliser aspect might be the problem - where there is a lot of fertiliser, weed growth can seriously hinder navigation. Having said that, run off from agriculture would mean that a bit of wee was almost literally a drop in the ocean.

While I am not squeamish about people putting wee in the cut (it's people shovelling in dog crap that annoys me)...

I'd rather people put (bidegradable) dog crap in the cut, than in non-biodegradable bags and hang it in the hedge!

(Although I would prefer that they dispose of it properly to either of the above)

David

The BW bylaws do not specifically prohibit urine and it could be argued that urine is not covered by the following:

"No person shall throw or discharge into or on to any canal any

animal (whether alive or dead) or any rubbish, stones or other

material of any kind whatsoever or deposit such materials so as

to be washed or carried into any canal by floods or other means,

or in any wise cause obstruction in any canal"

After all the above could not be argued to prevent you discharging clean water or even grey waste into the canal, because BW specifically allow that.

The BSS wording:

"Any sewage discharge... is prohibited by law"

could be argued to only relate to fecal matter or water and other materials contaminated with fecal matter.

Given that urine is sterile (in a healthy person) and generally non-toxic and composed primarily of water, it is hard to see how it could be included in the above, unless it had been mixed at some point with fecal matter.

Using urine also cuts down on river pollution -- urine is a major source of nitrogen that contributes to river eutrophication if expensive denitrification is not used at the water treatment plant. And it's not a backwards step, it's space age technology -- NASA has used urine in hydroponics systems!

It is poorly written, I agree.

The point is that eutrophication in rivers is a bad thing,it reduces the oxygen in the water so fish die. Your link is saying that only expensive denitrification (nitrogen removal) at water sewage works will cure this - unless you solve the problem by peeing on the garden instead of the toilet. Otherwise it will contribute to eutrophication or to expensive denitrification.

Read it again and you will see.

It is poorly written, I agree.

The point is that eutrophication in rivers is a bad thing,it reduces the oxygen in the water so fish die. Your link is saying that only expensive denitrification (nitrogen removal) at water sewage works will cure this - unless you solve the problem by peeing on the garden instead of the toilet. Otherwise it will contribute to eutrophication or to expensive denitrification.

Read it again and you will see.

Cool I see what you mean denitrification occures naturally through the soil but not when directly in to a river or canal. I think LOL

I'll not throw it in the cut then ;)

• 2 years later...

Hi all.

I'm a full time liveaboarder, with my partner and son.

On the subject of loos, one of the most talked about topics amongst boaters, I'm really keen to transfer over to a compost toilet from a Techma pump out variety.

It's so called 30 gallon holding tank simply isn't sufficient for our needs and the awful weather we've been having has meant we've simply not been able to cruise to the pump out station, (we have a Broads GRP river cruiser, light as a crisp bag).

A guy we met has a Seperatt compost toilet and we're really keen on the idea of going over.

Our plan is to sell ours with holding tank, once cleaned!!

Then to hopefully get hold of a second hand compost toilet, either a Seperatt, Biolet but not the dead basic add sawdust soak and go!

A swap wouldn't be out of the question either!!

So to all you lucky people out there, if anyone knows anyone that knows about an available compost pooing receptacle with pumps, pipes and all the necessaries, please get in touch.

Thanks and look forward to hearing from you.

Hi all.

On the subject of loos, one of the most talked about topics amongst boaters, I'm really keen to transfer over to a compost toilet from a Techma pump out variety.

It's so called 30 gallon holding tank simply isn't sufficient for our needs and the awful weather we've been having has meant we've simply not been able to cruise to the pump out station, (we have a Broads GRP river cruiser, light as a crisp bag).

A guy we met has a Seperatt compost toilet and we're really keen on the idea of going over.

Then to hopefully get hold of a second hand compost toilet, either a Seperatt, Biolet but not the dead basic add sawdust soak and go!

So to all you lucky people out there, if anyone knows anyone that knows about an available compost pooing receptacle with pumps, pipes and all the necessaries, please get in touch.

We have a sun-mar, we got it 9 years ago, it's bulky and doesn't look like a conventional loo. It does what it says on the tin though and we just don't have to think about it, now full time live aboard we need to do an empty every 6 to 8 weeks, no smell either as many seem to assume.

You mention the Seperatt compost toilet. Should have this been available when we purchased our Sun-Mar we would have gone for it. It seems pretty popular and as we understand the workings of a compost loo understand why it's popular.

Several members have one, so their best to comment. But basically separating urine from poo makes the process work more efficiently. Ok you have to empty the urine quite regularly, but it's a much better than swilling down piss and poo together. The remaining solids dry up, you can add compost quick to speed the process up, the site says cover with soil and store for 6 months in the separatte containers, if you want it composted. (bit tricky on a boat) I would just take it to the elsan or bury it.

Hi all.

Towpathtalk January edition page 86 column 1.

Airhead for sale £350

At that discount it`s worth travelling.

We like our Airhead but people use what they are comfy with. Live your life and let others live theirs.

Link to our Airhead hope it helps your decision.

http://boatlife.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/what-every-woman-wants-for-her-birthday_20.html

I suspect the two main topics on this site are loos and heating? It makes me smile every time they re appear I have a composting loo and both bubble stove and solid fuel stove plus wispergen which does heating had a pumpout in the last boat and wont go back their again in a hurry

Peter

I suspect the two main topics on this site are loos and heating? It makes me smile every time they re appear I have a composting loo and both bubble stove and solid fuel stove plus wispergen which does heating had a pumpout in the last boat and wont go back their again in a hurry

Peter

Hi Peter,

not long ago in another thread I wrote about how impressed I was a long time ago at a boatshow in Holland when I asked a salesman of a stand that sold Whispergem machine, if they were noisy when running, and the guy told me that it was running while we were talking, only with my hand against the machine, I could feel that it was running, but I didn't buy one because of the high price.

Later I heard of a few people that had one of these magic machines that they had quite a few problems with them mainly due to the burner sooting up, do you have that sort of problems too ?

The ones they have in NZ seem to be working on gas, and are (supposedly) trouble free.

Peter.

Hi Peter,

not long ago in another thread I wrote about how impressed I was a long time ago at a boatshow in Holland when I asked a salesman of a stand that sold Whispergem machine, if they were noisy when running, and the guy told me that it was running while we were talking, only with my hand against the machine, I could feel that it was running, but I didn't buy one because of the high price.

Later I heard of a few people that had one of these magic machines that they had quite a few problems with them mainly due to the burner sooting up, do you have that sort of problems too ?

The ones they have in NZ seem to be working on gas, and are (supposedly) trouble free.

Peter.

In a word no! I am running it on kero which is cheaper and cleaner than diesel I do service it at the end of the season which involves cleaning the burner. Its easily done so cant complain I am in my 3rd year it starts on a timer so I wake up to a warm boat and come back from work to a warm boat. It only runs flat out if the batteries need the charge so if the solar panels have done their stuff it doesnt use much fuel. I bought mine secondhand from Tipos marine in Rotherham he does have them for sale time to time

Peter

In a word no! I am running it on kero which is cheaper and cleaner than diesel I do service it at the end of the season which involves cleaning the burner. Its easily done so cant complain I am in my 3rd year it starts on a timer so I wake up to a warm boat and come back from work to a warm boat. It only runs flat out if the batteries need the charge so if the solar panels have done their stuff it doesnt use much fuel. I bought mine secondhand from Tipos marine in Rotherham he does have them for sale time to time

Peter

Thank you very much for your reply Peter, which means that they can work reliably when running on kero, I would like 1 for their silent operation, but I'm afraid I can't afford even a secondhand one, and when I looked on Tipos web-site, the price of spare parts scared me off too. I will go on with my 4Kva diesel genny in it's soundproved box that was built into my boat when I bought her, and if there will be a problem that is too expensive to cure, I'll probably buy a Kipor.

Peter.