What's the most unusual thing you've ever been asked for

Dominic M

Featured Posts

The two most unusual things I have been asked is:-

1. When I was moored at Stoke Bruerne, two old dears came past and asked "does the tunnel go all the way through"; and

2. On talking to a hire boater about my living on a boat him saying, "well of course you don't work do you?". Reply, "yes I do". "Well, how do you get to work?", reply - "by car"!!!

The two most unusual things I have been asked is:-

1. When I was moored at Stoke Bruerne, two old dears came past and asked "does the tunnel go all the way through"; and

2. On talking to a hire boater about my living on a boat him saying, "well of course you don't work do you?". Reply, "yes I do". "Well, how do you get to work?", reply - "by car"!!!

How many bridges cross this river ----------------------All of them

Once at Stoke Bruerne (on a wide beam) My wife and I was asked if we could stand up inside!!!!!!

I said that we wet arround inside on our knees

Im not sure if they understood I was joking!!

Colin

Edited by bigcol

The most unusual thing I was asked for, was to repair a vandalised security shutter free of charge, seeing as I'd serviced it two weeks previously..! :wacko::wacko:

Mike

Edited by Doorman

The most unusual thing I was asked for, was to repair a vandalised security shutter free of charge, seeing as I'd serviced it two weeks previously..! :wacko::wacko:

And all this time I thought you were a bouncer at a night club. Seriously.

:lol: I couldn't bounce a tennis ball off a wall.

I'll bet many people are of the same conclusion, given the forum name. Hopefully, now that you've 'outed' me, I'll get less attitude on the forum in future! :cheers:

Mike: 5'7", 12 stone, baldy with bandy legs and totally wrinkly :P

Awfully posh people visiting their massive and expensive Dutch barge to see how their small army of workmen were doing looked over towards us in our small and rusty 80 year old Dutch barge and enquired..''Are you surviving''?? then walked off <_<

Whilst working a public bar doorway in Manchester a customer enquired "Does the suit come with the job mate" in a deep scouse accent , "Only for court appearances" was the quiet smug reply from my long term workmate. A 6"8 ex para with the temperament of a retired vicar, and the dignity to match. A true gentleman ...lol Bouncers are paid thugs and bullies ,,Doormen are very different and on most occasions very forgiving people ...Being sobber in a manc club after 2 am is a strange place at times ....hahaha

Yours Slammer (ex manc doorman but a gentleman) Theres always more to a name .. :cheers:

Not asked for as such-

but we are most oft asked.

'are you in it again..'

'which one of you is in it....'

'is the dog in it....'

We never mind though - it's a conversation starter when we are moored or when sharing a lock or just when somebody is just passing us.....can't see us ever changing it.

Awfully posh people visiting their massive and expensive Dutch barge to see how their small army of workmen were doing looked over towards us in our small and rusty 80 year old Dutch barge and enquired..''Are you surviving''?? then walked off dry.gif

I like that :), It's not until after they've gone that you think of the the perfect put-down.

I tend to horde spare wood on the roof of the boat, if I've run out of room in the cratch. There can be quite a lot of wood up towards the pointy end. Two years ago my friends Mark and Mick obtained a small lorry load of wood, for free, which we split up. Then last Christmas a work colleague gave me all of her old kitchen woodwork in component form.

This is all good. A little stockpile of wood gives a nice feeling of security.

However I was lost for words one day when we passed a boat and one of the guys at the stern nodded towards the stockpile and said,

"Got a wood burning stove, have you?"

I'm not sure which one was Holmes and which was Doctor Watson. :P

<The scene, bloke in shorts wanders up to NB Earnest, moored above Keadby Lock - que heavy Russian accent>

"Can I look about your thin vessel?"

(we let Russian bloke have a look)

"Ah Miele vashing machine...I have one on board my vessel!...would you like to have a look round and a glass of vodka?"

<we get invited aboard MV Lagoda 17, parked on the wharf above Keadby Lock. John Chapman (speaks fluent Russian) and captain get on like a house on fire>