Smallest liveaboardable boat.

Water Rat.

Featured Posts

I lived on a 45' narrow boat for 3 years and that was enough for me. The internal cabin was probably only 25' once you subtracted the decks, engine room and bathroom.

It's obviously worse in winter than in summer when you can put a small table and chairs outside.

Edited by blackrose

I think if you have a couch area, a galley, a permanent bed, and a bathroom, mentally you can live on it fine...so a 35ft would probably do. If it is more than just yourself on board..40+

We are planning 3 adults and 3 children on a 57ft .

We did 6months one as 2 adults and 3 kids in a 6metre campervan...through the winter in France.

Life was hard, but it was the highlight of our otherwise dreary existances.

I'm finding that buying an older boat that lets me easily rip out things and re-arrange things is best. No use buying a boat fully fitted out unless it is fitted exactly the way you like it.

Me and swmbo lived on a 30' Walton boat that was plenty big enough.

Double bed in the back, with a chest of drawers and South Northants Council recycling boxes underneath, for clothes and tools. couple of chairs and the Torgem, in the middle with kitchen in front of that and heads in the bows.

Before we met I lived on a Dawncraft 27, for a year. Big enough for me but not for 2.

Snip

I think if you have a couch area, a galley, a permanent bed, and a bathroom, mentally you can live on it fine...so a 35ft would probably do. If it is more than just yourself on board..40+

/Snip

I reckon this hits the nail on the head. Discussing this last night with a friend (who lives on her 70f boat alone) we came to the conclusion that it's not about space for belongings, but the need for personal space. She claims she couldn't live with anyone else on her boat - me and OH live happily on our 46' semi trad. We just don't mind living in close quarters - I reckon we could survive a smaller boat.

My neighbours live aboard their boat, it is the same size as mine, 34/35 foot. They love it but it must be very snug. I have discounted spending long periods of time on my boat because it is so small, but does anyone else live on a smaller boat and how do you manage?

Lots of boaters use to live in a pair of back cabins so that would have been about 12 - 14 feet in total complete with kids

Lots of boaters use to live in a pair of back cabins so that would have been about 12 - 14 feet in total complete with kids

We're living in 44ft of tug - which includes an engine room and back cabin. It's snug but do-able (just) because the main bed is under the tug deck. The back cabin bed is 3ft 6in wide so okay for two more if necessary as well.

Edited by starman

I lived part time (i.e. Monday - Thursday) on a 32' boat for eighteen months, BUT I was on my own, I was at work most of the time, and I didn't have to store all my possessions.

I am absolutely gagging to live on Chertsey for an extended period, and that would just be in the back cabin; however, I would still have storage space on land and in the hold. TBH I reckon back cabin living will be more comfortable than the 32 footer because it's better designed for it and easier to heat. From which I conclude that design and layout is as important, if not more important, than overall size.

Throwing another person into the equation probably changes things a lot. Which is why Chertsey's second cabin, when we build it (nothing permanent, don't worry!) will be right at the other end of the boat.

Water Rat, you've already got the boat, so why not just give it a try and see how you get on?

Edited by Chertsey

I know people that live on cruisers - a single guy on a 22' (& his son stays most weekends), and a couple on a 26'. Wouldn't do for me, but they're happy enough. Must know a dozen singletons on 30-40' boats, and a similar number of couples on 40 - 50'.

Edited by dave_2A_

It's all relative but having lived on a 57' x 12' boat for the last 5 years I can say that this is the smallest boat I'd be prepared to live on and I wouldn't want to live on a narrow boat again. For me it's not about an ever increasing living space - I wouldn't want to live on a bigger boat either because this is the biggest boat that I'm comfortable handling alone. However, once you increase your living space I think it's difficult to downsize again.

When it warms up I am going to start by spending a few days a week there - just to get out of London for a while.

I have 50ft and tried it for a few weeks in the autumn when I was having work done in the house. It was excellent although I still did washing at home so the only thing for me would be sorting out a small twin tub. However I think it would be a bigger trial to do it through this long stretch of ice!

Been on my 33ft cruiser stern for 2.5 years now. It's the perfect size - you can wind it anywhere and I don't use too much fuel to keep it warm. There is definitely no room for anyone else, though (one ex-boyfriend could barely fit in the loo!).

Used to live with a partner on a 42 footer.

My bf, me and our dog live on our 42ft for the past 2.5 years. I think the worst thing is that we are still living with what I call holiday storage so alot of things are just pilled up in boxes and bags making it hard to get to use stuff because its such a faf to get stuff out. If we could do without alot of the stuff or fit better storage i don't think space would be an issue.

saying that we have been looking at wide beams and small dutch barges we don't need the extra space but i'd like it and i'm not ready to move back to land just yet.

I'd like to be able to have a full size freezer and washing machine aswell.

It's a piece of cake. I'm on a 32 footer and it's a cruiser stern so not much living space at all. The secret is spartan living by not allowing baggage to clutter up the boat. You have to keep it tidy as well and keep cleaning. I store my tools on another fibreglass boat I own on hard standing so that helps. It's strange as everybody feels sorry for me and reckons I'm in dire straits but I figure I'm one of the few not to have suffered cracked pipes this winter and I don't even have central heating. I got by blasting my boat stove to get 90 farenheight at intervals and that kept my boat (and even plants) free of major stress.

I had 2 girls visit on Christmas. They got on in sub zero temps and I gave then a lesson on fire lighting. They watched it slowly go up to 40, then to 60 and in time it was up to 80. One advantage of a small boat is you can get it warm.

My neighbours live aboard their boat, it is the same size as mine, 34/35 foot. They love it but it must be very snug. I have discounted spending long periods of time on my boat because it is so small, but does anyone else live on a smaller boat and how do you manage?

All true but I think many of us have a very different idea of the essentials of living these days and of course those people were to coin a phrase "living above the shop" (or rather behind it!) so it was their place of work too.

I also think it was a different mind set for most. Many of the working boatman and women would not have seen themselves living in a cramped space. they lived out doors so had lots of open space even in winter. they used the cabin to cook, wash and sleep and one or two other things I imagine. Reading some accounts it seems often there were comments on these lines from the boaters who saw the people living in small houses the ones who were living in a confined space and did not wish to live on the bank.

I knew a couple with three large dogs who lived on a cruiser that couldn't have been more than about 27ft. And we met a family with 3 kids on something about 45ft in Oxford a few years back. I find 52ft just about big enough for me and the cat! But then it all depends how minimalist your living is. Try it and see.

• 2 weeks later...

I lived for years out of a tent and cheap pensions and hotel rooms travelling around. The thrill was being mobile and running into different and interesting people and situations, and at other times just being a recluse, self-supportive with everything you need to hand. Karen and I lived out of a 2.5-person dome tent for 3-5 month stretches doing the same. The bigger the backpack (or suitcase) ... the more you carry (you always fill what you have). So, start with the smallest you can shoulder.

Same with narrowboats. Except, compared with a tent, our 53-foot narrowboat is a FANTASTIC luxury. You can get it nice and warm, the cooker doesn't live in a bag, comfy bed that doesn't require any huff and puff, running water and hot showers (!), book shelves, ...

Haven't worked out how to get it up a mountain yet, but you can take it through towns and forests.

Seriously, how much stuff do you need? I always think of Alexandra David Neel who wandered off for years into the Himalayas and Tibet. When she arrived back in Calcutta many years later, and discovered trunks of stuff she'd stored, she couldn't remember why.

I think it must also depend on what size you and the crew are. I'm 5'11" and weigh 16st. My wife is 5'6" and weighs (classified). Our boat is 40ft cruiser stern (giving 28ft internal) don't think I'd want to go any smaller than that.

I have spoken to many boaters about this and generally their feeling seems to be 50 - 57 ft is ideal for permanent live-aboard continuous cruising but that it is possible to get away with much less. Even 30ft with a makeup bed or 40-45 ft with a bedroom is possible but you do lose a lot of 'breathing room'. Remembering that each additional foot of length gives a full 1' x 6'10" area and that the bow and stern areas are outside and of 'strange' shape (but can be used for some storage/seating etc with a cratch cover and pram hood).

Personally I would consider 40ft with a bedroom my minimum and 50ft ideal for CC, 72ft for CM.

John

My first liveaboard boat was a 20ft Norman with 2 dogs and partner which we lived on for around 3 years, the second was a 23ft Norman. It was snug living on board and we only had a small heater to warm us up in winter time which could only be put on when we were there, but I fell in love with the life and am still loving it now that I own a much larger boat (52ft) with full facilities which I didn't have with the two Normans.