Patrol Boat on the Grand Union

andy the hammer

Featured Posts

It passed us last week at the bottom of the Napton Flight. We had moored up for a brew and it came up from Napton, turned and headed back. Later found it moored up at Stockton Top Marina for the night.

I was walking back to the boat at Bugbrooke/Nether Heyford when I saw this black and white Patrol Boat complete with blue light on top cruised by,I am sure the crew were B.W.

Is this the canal version of the fourth emergency service.

Regards

Andy

Probably Debbi out for a spin

Never seen it that far up, but there is at least one.

IIRC, boat name "Verulam" possibly ?

Yep, that's the one. This patrol boat isn't new. Years ago it used to patrol the southern GU. BW now has a national enforcement team with local officers. At a recent user group meeting we were told that the priority had changed from chasing non-licence payers to clamping down on overstayers. The boat will be moored at Bulbourne.

We passed it at the top of Calcutt locks the afternoon of Thursday 28th, it looked really strange. So does anyone know what it actually does?

The one on the Lee tows the smaller section 8's to Enfield to be crushed. :wacko:

Our marina has a space kept free for the patrol boat, sometimes it is better to use it than drive as so many London moorings are on the offside. I think they should keep them, I like seeing them.

Does anyone know what it is actually able to do that someone on bikes or a moped couldn't do quicker ?

May I suggest that by using the system, the crew will be able to report any maintenance problems to HQ for immediate attention?

Maybe not.

The foot patrol passed me on Tuesday and the floating patrol yesterday so they are really checking up,we have heard that they are getting very strict on overstaying and the distance you move between moorings.

Possibly connected to the winter mooring booking as foot patrols are cancelled for health and safety reasons during cold snaps,but a patrol by boat could continue.

Regards

Andy

Am I right that they now have a hand held computer things so they can upload to a big computer and keep a record of when you are spotted.

Also have the wardens the ones who got free mooring or similar benefits for the work of patrolling have they been replaced with people on bikes covering a longer distance or do they have both.

I don’t get to see the wardens as always at work during the day and for the most keep to the 14 days then move.

Thought the 'hit squad' always turned up by van but perhaps they are making the diesel go further these days

Could be a practice run for handing over patrol work to volunteers - I'm sure lots of people would love to take a boat out on a regular basis

Probably NOT a good idea.

Greater Manchester Police used to have a patrol boat on the Ashton Canal.

It was quietly withdrawn, when it became clear that the main use of the boat was pleasant afternoon jollies for the local hobby bobbies.

Am I right that they now have a hand held computer things so they can upload to a big computer and keep a record of when you are spotted.

Also have the wardens the ones who got free mooring or similar benefits for the work of patrolling have they been replaced with people on bikes covering a longer distance or do they have both.

I don’t get to see the wardens as always at work during the day and for the most keep to the 14 days then move.

Iam afraid I have seen all you mentioned and now the patrol boat.

Regards

Andy

I was told that these 'tablets' have GPS so they also upload your exact position and thus can log 'overstays'

Bob

I was walking back to the boat at Bugbrooke/Nether Heyford when I saw this black and white Patrol Boat complete with blue light on top cruised by,I am sure the crew were B.W.

I'm not entirely sure of the legality of flashing blue lights on a boat, that is not an emergency vehicle, but I would most definitely ignore any requests to stop, made by a BW pseudo-cop.

Is this the canal version of the fourth emergency service.

Regards

Andy

Are you sure it wasn't the Royal Navy hunting down that 'U-Boat'? This is probably all they can afford following the cuts!

And from the frequent sitings of that patrol boat, it must be obvious that the 'U-Boat' has, thus far, escaped detection - we had better keep up the 'Zig-Zag cruising pattern' . . .