Leeds & Liverpool Canal Restrictions and Closures

Dalesman

Featured Posts

We went through the area yesterday with no problems. We arrived at Appley lock at 9. We had to wait a few minutes for the BW guy to unlock it but then he didn't seem bothered about water resources - we were coming up, the lock was full and he told us that 3 boats were coming down from Dean lock, but that it was no problem if we turned the lock round instead of waiting. The only low pound we saw was between Ell Meadow and Pagefield and that was as a result of the boat in front of us trying to fill Ell Meadow from both ends for 15 minutes before they realised.

We used some water completely unnecessarily going down the Rufford Arm , as that is the only refuse disposal in over a weeks boating. Very nice it was too

Refuse disposal is possible at what i think is MOSS FARM LANE BRIDGE or what we call the fish park bridge , a bw skip is always in place though it is hidden from open view , it is behind the concrete circular fish feature opposite the farm that has the large needle made from a tree trunk amongst other great works in progress.

I dont have my map to get bridge number but this skip is on the right (towpath side ) after the first swing bridge heading to burscough from parbold ,good place to moor but a walk to tesco in village with chippie ,p.o and bank ect.

We used some water completely unnecessarily going down the Rufford Arm , as that is the only refuse disposal in over a weeks boating. Very nice it was too

I wouldn't worry Sue, that pound is about 44 miles long and the evaporation on a summers day will way way outstrip the lock use!

More problems on the L&L today

Apperley Bridge - DobsonLock 14 & 15

Monday 21 June 2010 - Tuesday 22 June 2010

Stoppage to through navigation

The locks will be dewatered in order to investigate and ascertain reason for water loss in the bottom chamber and if possible undertake repairs.

Stop planks will be put in place and bottom chamber will be dewatered

Boaters will be able to moor at the top and bottom of the lock flight.

winding can be found.

Below Bridge 114 and above Bridge 211a

Enquiries: 01942405700

The deep lock is part of the problem, as clearly it used twice the water per boat (or pair of) than any other. With the two half height (stnd hight) locks not currently in commision despight the fact that our 2004 guide stated them as having recently been returned to operation.

Daniel

The deep lock is the original one as, when first opened in 1774, water came directly from the River Douglas at Dean. The two shallow locks were built because of water supply problems following the construction of the canal from Dean to Wigan circa 1780.

What worries me more is that BW are looking to lower water levels in order to reduce leakage on a canal that already needs dredging. They have applied for permission to lower Bank Newton bywash by a couple of inches to lower the level of the Marton Pool. This length has already had its depth reduced when the wooden boards on the bywash were removed some time ago. BW are trying to cut maintenance costs in the short term by lowering water levels, something which will be virtually impossible to reverse. Lowering water levels will cut leakage for a short time, but leaks will inevitably start again over time, making their whole scheme futile. Surely addressing current leakage is much cheaper than the dredging which will ultimately be necessary if water depth is reduced. What is happening on the L&LC could spread to canals nationally as a cheap short term solution to leaks, with water depths being reduced even more.

Still piddling down - this is good news! Maybe we'll have some chance of getting the back end of the boat near the bank and correct that list that irritatingly opens cupboards and more annoyingly makes the front doors threaten to renew that horrible black mark on my thumb that has taken months to grow out after I last shut it in the doors! (For anyone who's not aware of it steel vs flesh leaves only one clear winner!)

• 2 weeks later...

I heard last night that the locks on the summit pound are to be closed, from Holme Bridge lock (No 30) to Barrowford Locks ( No 45 )as there is now no water left, so the canal is closed to through traffic.

Closed at wigan too... apparently they might be doing some repairs at the same time as they've been closed... or so the rumors say!

Is the rumoured closure just the 21 flight or does it include the Wigan town locks? Bad news if it does as I need to get back to Tarleton from T&M for Aug 15th crossing and I'd prefer not to be stuck over this side of the Ribble for the winter!

Is the rumoured closure just the 21 flight or does it include the Wigan town locks? Bad news if it does as I need to get back to Tarleton from T&M for Aug 15th crossing and I'd prefer not to be stuck over this side of the Ribble for the winter!

Please somebody start doing a rain dance or the start of our boat ownership will be just sitting on our home mooring!!

She is being surveyed today and hopefully we can complete the deal later this and then take her back up the Johnson Flight to her mooring at Wheelton

Nigel

Closed at wigan too... apparently they might be doing some repairs at the same time as they've been closed... or so the rumors say!

Wigan flight was definitely not closed yesterday cos i came down it - i ache today but hurrah i wont be trapped

Please somebody start doing a rain dance or the start of our boat ownership will be just sitting on our home mooring!!

She is being surveyed today and hopefully we can complete the deal later this and then take her back up the Johnson Flight to her mooring at Wheelton

Nigel

It has rained at some point every day for the last week where i've been - perhaps we need a different kind of rain

Good luck with the survey, i reckon you'll be ok.

I'm confused - very confused.

I've just left Lancashire, where I've been rained on persistently from the day I arrived just over a year ago, and particularly during the last few weeks.

I've arrived in Kent to a heatwave, the ground is parched and brown compared to the lush lawns of Lancashire. It's raining now, but apparently this is the first rain for weeks.

There's a hosepipe ban in Lancashire and the canals are so low that BW are seriously considering shutting them.

There's no hosepipe ban in Kent and no threat of one. I should add that in the 20 odd years I lived in Kent before I took myself up north a hosepipe ban was almost inevitable in the summer. Apparently this is the first one in about a decade in Lancashire.

Am I missing something?

The latest forecast from BW is that the canal WILL close from Wigan to Gargrave from 2nd August.

Which will present a number of challenges to us and many other boaters/hire fleets

Now confirmed. Sadly. Just got this in my inbox.

Lock 30 Holme Bridge Lock Gargrave to Lock 85 Railway Lock Wigan

Monday 2 August 2010 until further notice

Due to a prolonged period of dry weather, we will no longer be able to sustain the supply of water to the Leeds & Liverpool Canal. As such, the canal will close on 2 August 2010 from Lock 30 (Gargrave) to Lock 85 (Railway Lock) on the Wigan Flight and navigation will not be possible along this stretch of the canal. This is in order to protect the integrity of the canal and reservoirs and safeguard the aquatic habitat.

All flights will be locked West of Holme Bridge Lock (30) and East of Railway Lock (85) Wigan will be padlocked and stop planks will be installed at the top of each flight from 2 August 2010.

Please be advised that the current restrictions on the Leeds & Liverpool Canal will remain in place for the remainder of the canal.

We will continue to monitor the situation and will keep you updated of any significant changes as and when they occur.

Please be advised that pounds will naturally drain once the feed from the reservoirs is no longer in place. We advise caution when accessing your boat during periods of low water and that you regularly monitor and adjust your mooring ropes.

Please follow instructions of BW staff at all times.

An update will be issued on Monday 9th August 2010

(Have edited thread title to take this into account).

Edited by Lady Muck

Similar from Waterscape:

Drought forces partial closure of Leeds & Liverpool Canal

13th Jul 2010

With some of the worst drought conditions for 100 years British Waterways has today announced that it is taking the highly unusual step of partially closing a canal in the North West.

The planned closure of almost half of Britain’s longest man-made waterway – the 127-mile long Leeds & Liverpool Canal – will take effect from Monday 2 August, and will close for boating for 60 miles from Wigan in Lancashire to Gargrave in North Yorkshire.

The remainder of the canal will stay open for navigation, however there will be a restricted lock schedule to minimise impact on neighbouring waterways.

Towpaths unaffected

The towpaths are unaffected by the closures, although British Waterways is asking all visitors to take extra care to stay away from the towpath edge as water levels fall.

Vince Moran, operations director for British Waterways, explains: “Canals depend upon a complex system of reservoirs and rivers to remain topped up with water however, the lowest rainfall in almost a century combined with high temperatures has left the regions’ water supplies at record low levels. We have been doing all we can over the last three months to conserve water levels within what is a popular and 200-year old working canal, and we would only close it as a last resort. However, our reservoirs are expected to have fallen to 10 per cent of their capacity by the start of August, at which point we must close off the water supply so as to be better able to manage the impact on navigation and wildlife.

“Unless we have significant rainfall within the next fortnight therefore we will be forced to put in stop planks along the canal, and shut off the water supply to the canal from all seven reservoirs from 2 August. We anticipate the restrictions continuing through the current drought but will reopen the canal as soon as sufficient water supplies become available. In the meantime we are contacting all affected customers, including boaters, hireboat companies and angling clubs and will do all we can to minimise the impact on them during this difficult period.”

Similar from Waterscape:

Drought forces partial closure of Leeds & Liverpool Canal

13th Jul 2010

With some of the worst drought conditions for 100 years British Waterways has today announced that it is taking the highly unusual step of partially closing a canal in the North West.

The planned closure of almost half of Britain’s longest man-made waterway – the 127-mile long Leeds & Liverpool Canal – will take effect from Monday 2 August, and will close for boating for 60 miles from Wigan in Lancashire to Gargrave in North Yorkshire.

The remainder of the canal will stay open for navigation, however there will be a restricted lock schedule to minimise impact on neighbouring waterways.

Towpaths unaffected

The towpaths are unaffected by the closures, although British Waterways is asking all visitors to take extra care to stay away from the towpath edge as water levels fall.

Vince Moran, operations director for British Waterways, explains: “Canals depend upon a complex system of reservoirs and rivers to remain topped up with water however, the lowest rainfall in almost a century combined with high temperatures has left the regions’ water supplies at record low levels. We have been doing all we can over the last three months to conserve water levels within what is a popular and 200-year old working canal, and we would only close it as a last resort. However, our reservoirs are expected to have fallen to 10 per cent of their capacity by the start of August, at which point we must close off the water supply so as to be better able to manage the impact on navigation and wildlife.

“Unless we have significant rainfall within the next fortnight therefore we will be forced to put in stop planks along the canal, and shut off the water supply to the canal from all seven reservoirs from 2 August. We anticipate the restrictions continuing through the current drought but will reopen the canal as soon as sufficient water supplies become available. In the meantime we are contacting all affected customers, including boaters, hireboat companies and angling clubs and will do all we can to minimise the impact on them during this difficult period.”

Since there will not be any boats along here can I now put on my lycra and cycle very fast on the towpath?

Edited by Matthew Knowles

The bit in bold confuses me...

At the Wigan end there are two locks falling towards leigh and then probably the longest sump on the canal system (if you ignore Pomona Lock), there are also six locks falling to the liverpool level

At the Gargrave end there are 29 locks (22 of them in various staircase formations) falling to a major river navigation...

How, exactly does use of either of these impact on neighbouring waterways?

The bit in bold confuses me...

At the Wigan end there are two locks falling towards leigh and then probably the longest sump on the canal system (if you ignore Pomona Lock), there are also six locks falling to the liverpool level

At the Gargrave end there are 29 locks (22 of them in various staircase formations) falling to a major river navigation...

How, exactly does use of either of these impact on neighbouring waterways?

The canal carries a compensation feed from the streams feeding the canal in Skipton to the River Aire. This is where streams which would otherwise naturally feed the Aire in the Yorkshire Dales are diverted to BW reservoirs.

The canal carries a compensation feed from the streams feeding the canal in Skipton to the River Aire. This is where streams which would otherwise naturally feed the Aire in the Yorkshire Dales are diverted to BW reservoirs.

In other words, the rest of the canal isn't exactly overflowing either...

Are you going to move your fleet down the locks to the Skipton Pound?