Leeds & Liverpool Canal Restrictions and Closures

Dalesman

Featured Posts

Today's update from BW

Leeds & Liverpool Canal & Leigh Branch

Wednesday 2 June 2010 until further notice

UPDATE (03 June 2010): Following on from the stoppage notice issued on 02.06.10 pumps have been installed to supplement the Scholes feeder from the River Douglas into the canal. This will need at least 24 hours before any significant improvements will be seen. The locks will remain closed to through navigation during this time.

Once again British Waterways apologises for any inconvenience this will cause.

We were one of two boats that travelled up the locks today, we could not not enter lock 67 as there was not enough water to get us over the cill.

Also as I reversed out I hit an underwater obstruction that stalled the engine. we only could enter by opening the paddles and cruise on the water flowing out.

As we came out of the top lock the B.W. guys put on the padlocks this was approximately 2.30pm.

So we were the only boats to travel the locks today.

Regards

Andy

Hi Andy

I didn't realise you were a CWF member when I was talking to you yesterday morning as you started the Wigan flight. My 5 year old grandson gave up cycling half way up the flight so we had to turn back.

Enjoy the rest of you trip.

Steve

Well all the water is going to Manchester. It took us 9 hours from Dukinfield to Castlefield. From Ducie the canal was wiering a foot above the gates so a job to open the top gates and then impossible to open the bottom gates as the water was coming in so fast. Don't try it in a 70ft boat. I got wet enough on a 58ft. Never again.

From Ducie the canal was wiering a foot above the gates so a job to open the top gates and then impossible to open the bottom gates as the water was coming in so fast.

Perhaps Dave Mayall will be along shortly to explain the technique for getting through these locks that involves having paddles open at both ends for part of the time...

BW have done a great job this afternoon at Wigan; they mobilised the troops, manned every lock through the town and got at least four boats through on to the Leigh branch and two the opposite way. They hope to be able to get more boats through tomorrow.

BW have done a great job this afternoon at Wigan; they mobilised the troops, manned every lock through the town and got at least four boats through on to the Leigh branch and two the opposite way. They hope to be able to get more boats through tomorrow.

Nice to know they care!

One boat was heading for Poolstock locks when I passed at 9.30am this morning and the water level was back to normal in this section.

Not sure about the water levels on the Appley Bridge to Wigan section though.

Steve

Just received this update from BW: -

UPDATE (04 June 2010): PASSAGES WILL BE RESTRICTED AS FOLLOWS:

There will be ONE supervised passage on Saturday, Sunday & Monday starting at 10am PROMPT between Locks 65 (Wigan Top Lock) & Lock 85 (Railway Lock). Any boats arriving after this time will have to wait until 10am the following day for the next available passage.

Poolstock (Locks 1 & 2) through to Ell Meadow (Lock 89) will be open between 8am and 1pm only. Any boats arriving after this time will have to wait until 8am the following day for the next available passage.

Passage between Dean Lock (Lock 90) & Appley Lock (Lock 91) will be strictly monitored. Passages will only be permitted if water levels allow.

Please note: BW will not guarantee passage if water levels are not sufficient to permit navigation.

Please do not contact Freefone Canals for updates relating to these restrictions. This number is for EMERGENCIES ONLY.

A further update will be issued on Monday 07.06.10 at 2pm.

Today's further update: -

UPDATE (07 June 2010): The following restrictions will remain in place until further notice:

There will be ONE supervised passage each day starting at 10am PROMPT between Locks 65 (Wigan Top Lock) & Lock 85 (Railway Lock). Any boats arriving after this time will have to wait until 10am the following day for the next available passage.

Poolstock (Locks 1 & 2) through to Ell Meadow (Lock 89) will be open between 9am and 4pm only. Any boats arriving after this time will have to wait until 9am the following day for the next available passage.

Passage between Dean Lock (Lock 90) & Appley Lock (Lock 91) will be available between 9am and 4pm (strictly 2 boats each lock in). However these locks will be monitored and passages will only be permitted if water levels allow.

Please note: BW will not guarantee passage if water levels are not sufficient to permit navigation.

Please do not contact Freefone Canals for updates relating to these restrictions. This number is for EMERGENCIES ONLY.

A further update will be issued on Thursday 10.06.10 at 2pm

Update from BW - restrictions as above to stay in place for another week. whilst there seems to have been a lot of rain in other parts of the country we haven't had all that much up here in the north west - certainly not enough to amend the general restrictions on lock opening on the rest of the L&L.

Separately BW have announced reduced opening hours for Plank Lane lift bridge. In June and September the bridge will be open winter hours - 8.30 to 4.30. July and August will be 8.30 to 6.00. These are measures to save overtime payments to BW staff.

Has there been any improvement to the situation?

I'm still hoping to do my three weeks holiday, starting Friday, incorporating the leeds/Liverpool, but really can't afford to be stuck anywhere for too long.

Or is it better that I try the Rochdale and take on the Calder and Hebble with a sixty footer? :lol:

Any suggestions

Has there been any improvement to the situation?

I'm still hoping to do my three weeks holiday, starting Friday, incorporating the leeds/Liverpool, but really can't afford to be stuck anywhere for too long.

Or is it better that I try the Rochdale and take on the Calder and Hebble with a sixty footer? :lol:

Any suggestions

They seem to be issuing updates every Thursday - I'll post it as soon as I get it tomorrow. Whilst it's possible that there could have been some improvement to the particular problems in the Wigan area I can't see the general restriction on lock movements along the L&L changing. There has been no rain of any consequence in the area in the last week.

Having siad that a cruise along the L&L is still perfectly possible with some careful planning but it you're concerned and can go elsewhere then that might be easiest right now.

Thanks for that.

I'll continue with the number One Plan, but I have to make the, do I turn left? or do I turn right? decision around next Wed/Thursday.

I have already put a nice piece of mahogany in the back of my car for a lock spike.

In the meantime I have the River Trent to look forward too and of coarse the sunshine! :lol:

Nipper

Edited cus i'm a muppet!

Edited by nipper

Thanks for that.

I'll continue with the number One Plan, but I have to make the, do I turn left? or do I turn right? decision around next Wed/Thursday.

I have already put a nice piece of mahogany in the back of my car for a lock spike.

In the meantime I have the River Trent to look forward too and of coarse the sunshine! :lol:

Nipper

Edited cus i'm a muppet!

The trent is also looking low due to the lack of rain :lol:

The trent is also looking low due to the lack of rain :lol:

Well Phylis, at least it has a bit of salt water added, just to top it up a bit!

And if i run out of water, I'll just have to put the kettle on and wait for a while. :lol:

Nipper

Well Phylis, at least it has a bit of salt water added, just to top it up a bit!

And if i run out of water, I'll just have to put the kettle on and wait for a while. :lol:

Nipper

That of course depends which bit you are on :lol:

Thanks for that.

Nipper

Edited cus i'm a muppet!

Might pass you then as we bring our new barge Phoenix down from Brighouse en-route to the Trent for the passage to Newark Marina (which is just en-route to France). We aim to leave Brighouse on Fri 25th.

Roger

Might pass you then as we bring our new barge Phoenix down from Brighouse en-route to the Trent for the passage to Newark Marina (which is just en-route to France). We aim to leave Brighouse on Fri 25th.

Roger

Well, Canal planner has us at Bighthouse on the 26th, but as it does not know about the Trent Tides, nor my wifes shopping habits, I would hazard a guess that we should pass on the Aire and Calder.

I'll look out for you, I'll be wearing my sunglasses just in case your new paintwork dazzles me! :lol::lol:

Nipper

Edited by nipper

We used some water completely unnecessarily going down the Rufford Arm , as that is the only refuse disposal in over a weeks boating. Very nice it was too
Yes, but you where taking water from the large lower pound that runs all the way into liverpool which does not have water problems, certainly the handfull of times ive been past the top of the rufford branch recently the amount of water going down it was quite significant anyway.

The deep lock is part of the problem, as clearly it used twice the water per boat (or pair of) than any other. With the two half height (stnd hight) locks not currently in commision despight the fact that our 2004 guide stated them as having recently been returned to operation.

Daniel

Yes, but you where taking water from the large lower pound that runs all the way into liverpool which does not have water problems, certainly the handfull of times ive been past the top of the rufford branch recently the amount of water going down it was quite significant anyway.

The deep lock is part of the problem, as clearly it used twice the water per boat (or pair of) than any other. With the two half height (stnd hight) locks not currently in commision despight the fact that our 2004 guide stated them as having recently been returned to operation.

Daniel

There wasn't a lot of water going down the Rufford Arm and it was low in places.

Sue