Leeds & Liverpool Canal Restrictions and Closures

Dalesman

Featured Posts

24 May 2010 until further notice Restriction: Leeds & Liverpool Canal

Associated Regional Office: North West Waterways

Restricted Passage / Reduced Operating Hours (9am till 4:30pm) on the following lock flights:

•Appley Bridge to Pagefield (Lock 91 to 88)

•Wigan Flight (Locks 87 to 65)

•Poolstock Locks (Locks 1 to 2 on Leigh Branch)

•Johnsons Hillocks (Locks 58 to 64)

•Blackburn Flight (Locks 52 to 57)

•Barrowford Flight (Locks 45 to 51)

•Greenberfield (Locks 42 to 44)

•Bank Newton (Locks 36 to 41)

•Gargrave (Locks 30 to 35)

•Bingley Five Rise (Locks 29 to 25)

•Bingley Three (Locks 24 to 22)

•Field Locks (Locks 16 to 18)

•Newlay (Locks 11 to 13)

•Forge (Locks 8 to 10)

•Spring Garden to Office Locks (Locks 1 to 6)

Following an exceptionally dry start to the year, we have had to rely on our reservoirs to feed the canals earlier in the season than normal.

As a result the reservoirs supplying the summit of the Leeds & Liverpool Canal all have holdings below their long term average for this time of year. Analysis indicates there is a moderate to significant risk that the reservoirs supplying the Leeds & Liverpool Canal will not have sufficient water to supply the canal throughout the boating season.

We are imposing these restrictions in an attempt to mitigate this risk and prolong the availability of resource for the remainder of the boating season.

A review will be undertaken in three weeks and an update will be issued on Monday 14 June 2010.

Boaters should ensure that they have passed through the affected lock flights to a mooring point before the 4:30pm lock up time.

Please follow instruction of Lock Keepers and adhere to ‘Thrift’ notices posted at the lock side.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.

(Enquiries: 01942 405700)

Has the Skipton Water festival used all the water then..?

Edited by Lady Muck

Has the Skipton Water festival used all the water then..?

No I don't think so - IIRC there were similar restrictions put in place last year at around this time (think it might have been later last year) - when we went on the L&L last August the levels were very low, though some if not all the restrictions had been lifted.

Edited by MJG

Last night down in liverpool and all for free THE PAGEANT OF POWER no more than fifty yards from the boats in salthouse dock and in the dock itself power boats of all shapes and sizes displaying.

All free and plenty more events over the summer so shortage of water or not book the link trip.

vintage cars and bikes as well as top racing cars and even a super duper souped up jcb burning up the road adjacent to the dock ,fantastic show , lots of pics on liverpool echo website .

strangely when we were driving over the top of Derbyshire last weekend the reservoirs there seemed to have plenty of "beaches" which I commented on to the OH. Very early in the year for water levels to be so low. Does'nt bode well for our trip down the Chesterfield in a couple of weeks - a notoriously shallow canal at the best of times!

strangely when we were driving over the top of Derbyshire last weekend the reservoirs there seemed to have plenty of "beaches" which I commented on to the OH. Very early in the year for water levels to be so low. Does'nt bode well for our trip down the Chesterfield in a couple of weeks - a notoriously shallow canal at the best of times!

Yes, I went over the Woodhead Pass last week and was surprised to see how low the water level was in the reservoirs.

As an aside, does the proliferation of marinas improve the water supply situation, providing side pounds where there were only fields before?

Edited by journeyperson

As an aside, does the proliferation of marina's improve the water supply situation, providing side pounds where there were only fields before?

Yes and no. The extra volume of water means that level on that pound is less likely to fluctuate and it would take a lot of water draining off to make a big difference to the level. On the other hand, if something bad happens and the water levels go seriously down, it will take a lot more water to bring the level back up again.

I thought it had been said that we have had the wettest winter and spring for decades?

If so how come they are starting these earlier?

Someone is telling porkies!!

That might be the case where you live but it has been exceptionally dry here in Preston for all of 2010. Apart from a couple of weeks in March there has been little or no rain in the north west for five months. Foulridge reservoirs are not very far from here so I assume it's been much the same. To be honest, given the weather we have had, I'm surprised it has taken this long for restrictions to come in.

Yes and no. The extra volume of water means that level on that pound is less likely to fluctuate and it would take a lot of water draining off to make a big difference to the level. On the other hand, if something bad happens and the water levels go seriously down, it will take a lot more water to bring the level back up again.

Perhaps all new marinas should be forced to build with a single lock down into the existing canal with the new marina owner told to arrange his own water supply?

George ex nb Alton retired

Foulridge reservoirs are not very far from here so I assume it's been much the same.

I was just outside Foulridge today (Sunday dinner up at the Langroyd, not that great to be honest!!), the upper reservoir looks ok, a little bit of beaching, but otherwise full of water, couldn't see the lower one though, but I'm sure that one's ok too... :lol:

Dunno what the Barrowford one's like though, but that's never been 100% full, maybe the one time, but the rest of the time I've seen it with a lot of the cobbles on the edge exposed... :lol:

Yes, i got an email about this as it effects our getting to liverpool for the mersey crossing.

I guess the way it is ment to work, to save water, is that at the end of each day boats will congregate at the first lock they come to after 4.30, and will then (becuase the l&l is broad) travelling pairs and thus save water. Its a grouping of boats thing.

Otherwise its save nothing. Except by prehaps putting off people who arnt that fussed where they go, moving them to other waterways?

Certainly prevents us 'catching up' with our schduale by doing some 15hour days should we have any issues at all.

Daniel

We have just passed through Appely bridge to Gathurst bridge pound and it is virtually empty!! at 29" we were bumping along the bottom and could not get to the bank luckily the boat we are travelling with is much shallower draft very worrying!

We have just passed through Appely bridge to Gathurst bridge pound and it is virtually empty!! at 29" we were bumping along the bottom and could not get to the bank luckily the boat we are travelling with is much shallower draft very worrying!

Bums!

I was planning to use my three weeks holiday cruising from Pillings Marina, down the Trent, turning left at Keadby Junction and then along the Aire and Calder via the Sheffield and then across the Leeds/Liverpool in a big circular route, getting perhaps as far as Heritage Narrowboats on the Macclesfield.

Someone else has volunteered to complete the last bit for me. :lol:

Last thing I want to be doing is giving them too far to return the boat in their week onboard.

What now? Is it busy up there in June /July? I'm leaving on the 18th June

Any suggestions?

Nipper

Barrowford Locks Stoppage: Lock 46

28 May 2010 until further notice

Associated Regional Office: North West Waterways

UPDATE (01 June 2010): Repair works are still in progress and the cement will need to set before the lock can be re-opened. It is anticipated that the stoppage will be lifted on Thursday morning. A further update notice will be issued on the 3rd June.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An emergency stoppage is required due to a damaged cill and floor at the tail gate of Lock 46. Investigation & repair works will be undertaken over the weekend.

British Waterways apologises for any inconvenience this may cause

An update will be issued on 01.06.10

(Enquiries: 01942 405700)

More problems..!!

Bums!

I was planning to use my three weeks holiday cruising from Pillings Marina, down the Trent, turning left at Keadby Junction and then along the Aire and Calder via the Sheffield and then across the Leeds/Liverpool in a big circular route, getting perhaps as far as Heritage Narrowboats on the Macclesfield.

I don't see any reason why you can't do that, as long as you confine your planned locking to the hours of 9.30 to 4.30. Most of the locks on the L&L are in groups with long stretches between so you can plan the trip to enjoy some evening or earlier morning cruises along these sections outside the "opening hours".

I don't see any reason why you can't do that, as long as you confine your planned locking to the hours of 9.30 to 4.30. Most of the locks on the L&L are in groups with long stretches between so you can plan the trip to enjoy some evening or earlier morning cruises along these sections outside the "opening hours".

Thanks Martin.

Well after dreaming of this cruise most of the winter, it does seem a shame to abandon it and we still have at least 8 hours a day cruising and Nicks Canal Planner is predicting 7.5 Hours a day. I am expecting some hold ups, but a lot I could well do without.

Mind you, it hasn't helped discovering, this week, that we are going a week later than at first thought. I put that mistake down to age.

Still, it does give us neap tides going down the Trent, were I was anticipating a hold up or two!

Here's hoping we all have water to float in this year.

Nipper

I wish not to be the harbinger of bad news - - but just a precautionary note:

Yorkshire TV News this morning had an article that highlighted the likely shortage of water in the Yorks & Lancs areas - asking peeps to take the (normal) precautions of not using hoses, showering (with a friend?) instead of baths etc . . . . with a possible prognosis of stand-pipes later this year . . .

Followed by Wigan Locks closing due to lack of water.

To be fair this happened last year and then it p*ssed down for the whole of June.

If it doesn't and the canal closes, our business will be in some degree of mess.

Followed by Wigan Locks closing due to lack of water.

To be fair this happened last year and then it p*ssed down for the whole of June.

If it doesn't and the canal closes, our business will be in some degree of mess.

Leeds and Liverpool is CLOSED no water gathurst to Appely bridge No water Ell Meadow and above Hire boat stuck and 11 boats trapped below El Meadow lock at 12.00noon!!!!!

I think perhaps we'll scrub our attempt to take our 4 foot draught over the L&L this summer....

I think that perhaps any draught will have a problem by the sounds of it. :lol:

Maybe I'll go south instead.

Happy days! :lol:

Nipper

I think that perhaps any draught will have a problem by the sounds of it. :lol:

Maybe I'll go south instead.

Happy days! :lol:

Nipper

Now 16 boats stuck and BW Hoping that doing nothing for 24 hours will work!! also the reaction when asked what about the stuck boats needs for water and other services was to shrug shoulders!!! and offer no answers!!

Now 16 boats stuck and BW Hoping that doing nothing for 24 hours will work!! also the reaction when asked what about the stuck boats needs for water and other services was to shrug shoulders!!! and offer no answers!!

TBH, they've got a big problem, the canal is short of water, the pound above Ell Meadow is fed from Wigan Locks, and they don't fare to well in water shortages, water would have to be passed down all 23, potentially causing problems on the main line to Leeds. The Appley to Dean Pound similarly is quite long. Big question is why did these ponds empty themselves in the first place.

The L and L always suffered in it's commercial heyday from water shortages, it survived okay for may years of leisure use because it was relatively little used but now it's getting more popular.