Using old Tyres as protection for a bow fender

Featured Posts

Well that stirred things up a bit....

What I am planning on doing was using just the tread of the tyre turned inside out then wrapped round the outside of the button....something that quite a few working boats did...personally I think it looks tidier than worn rope but each to there own...and yes I do leave the boat in gear resting on the top gate...saves a lot of revvving and gearbox wear but that's my choice too...each to their own!!

Cheers

Gareth

p.s. You mean you don't use fender socks phylis??? Shame on you..you might mark that gleaming hull you know......

The same thought crossed my mind...

It does seem a bit odd to buy a bow fender to protect the boat and then put a tyre on top to protect the fender!

If you don't mind tyres on your boat (and they do make good fenders), then why not just have a tyre instead of a bow fender in the first place and save your money?

Go kart tyres are a good size.

How do you fit a tyre as a front fender?

I can see the reasoning for a tyre covered rope one - the rope absorbs the impact and the tyre protects it from abrasion. Maybe this is not such an issue with synthetic rope?

How do you fit a tyre as a front fender?

I can see the reasoning for a tyre covered rope one - the rope absorbs the impact and the tyre protects it from abrasion. Maybe this is not such an issue with synthetic rope?

I fitted a go kart tyre by cutting the sidewalls off, cutting across the "tread", turning it inside out and securing by cable ties at the back throgh holes drilled in the tyre.

Synthetic rope still wears if it makes a habit of ridin up lock gates. An alternative form of protection is a Turk's head, which can be done in (cheap) non synthetic rope.

Iain

If you must start cutting up old tyres then at least try and make them look the part ... that should slide over the bow nicely!

3069082583_70b73975b8.jpg

Yes...

You know, sometimes you see something on here that really makes you think - why?

Richard

It was bought for me from a chandlers, not cheap either.. It was rope colour, manila I think.

Some big name Chandlers sell fenders that they discribe as "manila" but are in fact "manila coloured" sisal, which is a much cheaper and inferior rope when compared with proper grade 1 manila, in terms of rot resistance and wear resistance.

Fenders from Chandlers vary greatly in terms of core construction, materials, and cover construction.

Edited by NB Alton

Hi all

Here's my two pennworth, for what it's worth...

If you're working a boat in the style of the old boaters - boat on the top gate when working uphill, down by the bottom gates when going down (saves the risk of catching the cill) and nudging open bottom gates going uphill in an empty lock, then a tyre over the button on the front will prolong the life of it. I've just canged ours after 8 years of hard use, using all of the above practices.

I've covered quite a few fenders over many years, this is how I do it.....

I cut the tyre in half, using an angle grinder to get through the steel cords where the tyre fits to the rim. A jigsaw then removes the steel cord section. This makes the remaining tyre much more flexible and easy to fit.

I then turn it inside out and take a measurement of about half of the bow fender's circumference. I cut the tyre to this length then cut out a d shape at each end to accommodate the stem bar. I drill 4 holes one on each "flap" and fit the tyre around the fender. I splice a rope through one drilled hole and pull it up tight thro its opposite number and do the same on the other side.

Joe Hollingshead, an old boatman who produces fenders of renowned quality, adds a patch of tyre nailed to the front of the fender before fitting the tyr to "bulk it out" a bit and also works the tightening rope that holds the tyre in place throught the covering ropes. This helps keep the tyre cover in position.

I hope this helps

Cheers

Dave

If the fender fender starts to get worn do you then add a fender fender fender

Silly Billy! if it's a radial and run at the right pressure, balanced properly and the tracking is OK they last for ages.

Be careful you don't mix Radials and cross ply's though.

Leo

Silly Billy! if it's a radial and run at the right pressure, balanced properly and the tracking is OK they last for ages.

Be careful you don't mix Radials and cross ply's though.

Leo

Actually, you can put a radial on the rear fender, and a cross ply on the front one. The other way around is not legal.

Would a fender fix Paul's reversing box?

I miss that thread...

T :lol:

It will be back soon, I promise. I've made him get busy with welding so far this week, but he will be sent back in the engine hole over the next few days (potentially with a fender or two - we'll try anything).

It will be back soon, I promise. I've made him get busy with welding so far this week, but he will be sent back in the engine hole over the next few days (potentially with a fender or two - we'll try anything).

Perfect :lol:

I shall wait patiently then.

Tony

Hi all

Here's my two pennworth, for what it's worth...

If you're working a boat in the style of the old boaters - boat on the top gate when working uphill, down by the bottom gates when going down (saves the risk of catching the cill) and nudging open bottom gates going uphill in an empty lock, then a tyre over the button on the front will prolong the life of it. I've just canged ours after 8 years of hard use, using all of the above practices.

I've covered quite a few fenders over many years, this is how I do it.....

I cut the tyre in half, using an angle grinder to get through the steel cords where the tyre fits to the rim. A jigsaw then removes the steel cord section. This makes the remaining tyre much more flexible and easy to fit.

I then turn it inside out and take a measurement of about half of the bow fender's circumference. I cut the tyre to this length then cut out a d shape at each end to accommodate the stem bar. I drill 4 holes one on each "flap" and fit the tyre around the fender. I splice a rope through one drilled hole and pull it up tight thro its opposite number and do the same on the other side.

Joe Hollingshead, an old boatman who produces fenders of renowned quality, adds a patch of tyre nailed to the front of the fender before fitting the tyr to "bulk it out" a bit and also works the tightening rope that holds the tyre in place throught the covering ropes. This helps keep the tyre cover in position.

I hope this helps

Cheers

Dave

Many thanks Dave.....At least someone takes it seriously!!

Thought I wasnt dreaming that I had seem similar on working boats...if its good enough for Joe then I'm sure its good enough for me!

Have fitted as you have suggested and it looks great...Well I think so anyhow and its on my boat so I'm the only one what matters!!

Cheers

Gareth

PS The sign-writing and decoration is still looking good....keep getting nice comments about it!!...will be in touch about redoing the scumble in the back cabin when we know will be away for a bit!

Many thanks Dave.....At least someone takes it seriously!!

Thought I wasnt dreaming that I had seem similar on working boats...if its good enough for Joe then I'm sure its good enough for me!

Have fitted as you have suggested and it looks great...Well I think so anyhow and its on my boat so I'm the only one what matters!!

Cheers

Gareth

PS The sign-writing and decoration is still looking good....keep getting nice comments about it!!...will be in touch about redoing the scumble in the back cabin when we know will be away for a bit!

Thanks Gareth

I'm still busy...manic at the moment, in fact. Glad you like the finished product. Don't rush to finish the cabin undercoating - Iv'e scarcelytime to boat myself, at th moment!!

Cheers

Dave