Dog Buoyancy Aids

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Our recently arrived rescue dog, "Charlie", (one year old Cocker Spaniel), needs to be introduced to canals and boating.

Whilst I have little doubt he'll quickly become a strong swimmer, (he's a Spaniel, after all!), we are less confident about getting him out where banks are higher, or if he needs to be got back directly on to a boat or pontoon.

I am therefore looking at the buoyancy aids that come complete with a "shopping bag" handle on the back.

It's hard to judge quality or effectiveness from Internet photos, and clearly not all are same quality.

A common offering is from Baltic, at around £15-£20, and I know Baltic make reasonable "people" ones.

Baltic Link

Apparently up-market is the Crewsaver Pet Float, in the low to mid £30 range - I quite like the look of these.

Pet Float Link

But this, "Up Buoy", much less widely sold, looks OK too, if it's anything like as good as they claim....

Up Buoy link.

Other upmarket ones can set you back £60 to £70, it seems.

But I've found the odd reference on various types to "handles not really being up to lifting a dog from water", which would rather dfeat the object, as that's exactly why we want one.

Charlie is largish for a Cocker at around 15KG, I think.

Does anybody have practical experience, and in particular, any to explicitly recommend, or to warn us away from. How do your dogs feel about wearing them ?

Thanks in advance.

We've got a Crewsaver that appears good quality with a strong handle.

We've lifted our dog up and made sure he doesn't fall out (tripods aren't best suited to wearing clothes) and all seemed secure.

He's 14 now though, so we haven't tested him wet, but I'm sure the handle would cope with the added weight.

A firm grip on the scruff of the neck is all you need for a handle to lift a dog out of the cut - works for us frequently.

If you buy a bouyancy aid you can guarantee the dog won't be wearing it when it falls in!

Main thing is to keep them shut below when doing locks, big rivers, tidal etc.

A firm grip on the scruff of the neck is all you need for a handle to lift a dog out of the cut - works for us frequently.

If you buy a bouyancy aid you can guarantee the dog won't be wearing it when it falls in!

Our English springer has an Up Buoy. The handle is robust and does the job perfectly. It will keep him afloat for as long as required and he's fine about wearing it all day although he does have a good shake and scratch when it comes off. In the summer we took him with us on the Thames ring and while on the canals he falls in most days so the lifejacket gets plenty of use.

Our English springer has an Up Buoy. The handle is robust and does the job perfectly. It will keep him afloat for as long as required and he's fine about wearing it all day although he does have a good shake and scratch when it comes off. In the summer we took him with us on the Thames ring and while on the canals he falls in most days so the lifejacket gets plenty of use.

Ah good news!

I had started to think I was not going to get many more replies, so took a flier and ordered the "Up Buoy" just a few hours ago.

I thought it looked fairly good, given a relatively low price.

I just hope they have their sizings better than "Pets at Home". I just bought a new simple collar for Charlie that says it is the size for a Cocker Spaniel. Some people must have Cockers that are immensely larger than ours is, as it would come straight off over his head on the smallest set of holes!

Guest wanted

Whilst not wishing to hijack the thread, any ideas on how to keep our cat afloat! Sindbad falls in with alarming regularity, which is somewhat scary. Last week our neighbors dragged him out as he was clinging to the rudder of the boat next to us!

:lol:

Hi

We have a loopy Welsh springer spaniel. True to his nature, loves to swim, so buoyancy is not really the problem!

Getting him out of the cut is.... So we fit him with a harness when boating. Built in handle, simples.

I have tried dragging a 25 kilo dog out of the cut by "the scruff of the neck". Not easy.

John Mck

Edited by johnmck

I defy anybody to scrag my 7 1/2 stone Landshark by the neck to haul him out. All our dogs have had life jackets although only our blind Yoodle put it to regular use. Many occasions she would just walk into the river and the other dogs would alert us so I could go after her downstream (often in the dark) and haul her into my dinghy.

Phil

Whilst not wishing to hijack the thread, any ideas on how to keep our cat afloat! Sindbad falls in with alarming regularity, which is somewhat scary. Last week our neighbors dragged him out as he was clinging to the rudder of the boat next to us!

I'd be interested to learn of this too - - as our cat is due to spend the rest of her life on the canals too, (later this summer!)

Edited by Grace & Favour

We have never had a problem getting our German Shepherds out of the canal and back on the boat. We put a hand on the back of their necks to steady them and they do the rest themselves.

Sue

Does'nt work like that on The Broads I'm afraid.

Phil

Guest wanted
Buy him a dinghy :lol:

Where's my scotch egg!

I'd be interested to learn of this too - - as our cat is due to spend the rest of her life on the canals too, (later this summer!)

Like wotever said. they are supposed to be good swimmers, only ours has never bottherd, prefering to lol about wailing until we run out grab the net and have near heart attacks, I did see these but figured that I'd be effecting his qulity of life and street cred, you gotta be cool round these parts!

customertoyhayleypebble.jpg

or a catamaran

(I'll go via the cloakroom . . . . )

BOOM BOOM :lol:

Where's my scotch egg!

Like wotever said. they are supposed to be good swimmers, only ours has never bottherd, prefering to lol about wailing until we run out grab the net and have near heart attacks, I did see these but figured that I'd be effecting his qulity of life and street cred, you gotta be cool round these parts!

customertoyhayleypebble.jpg

I thought to deliver it personally sometime... :lol:

Dennis has been in twice...once wearing this....

DSC00377.jpg

Second time it was as barge sara suggested he was wearing nothing...... :lol:

The first time he went in the handle was a handy way to ship him out, the second, it was a 'scruff of the neck' job.

With a large hairy wet spaniel rather than a small JRT it's going to be a lot more difficult, so I would say the same,

Guest wanted
That is not a bad idea, a wheel and tyre tethered to the boat floating flat in the water

We have bread baskets hanging around the pontoon but he hasn't realised quite what there about! but anything to help I guess

BOOM BOOM :lol:

I thought to deliver it personally sometime... :lol:

Even better! :lol:

Lit the burner tonight after a week as I got cold last night and am now swelltering, off to the pub to cool down! never thought I'd be saying that!

Edited by wanted

We've got Up Buoys for our Border Collies. Youngest doesn't wear his much as the only water he likes are muddy puddles or rain, but he does if we are out on tidal rivers. The oldest will have to wear his this year as im afraid hes now deaf and his cataracts are much worse than last year. Having said that he will probably sleep all day in the cabin out of the way like he did last year. We did ponder about leaving him with a carer for the week but he gets so stressed when away from us that we decided its better to take him with us. We're quite happy to lift him on and off the boat because he doesnt go anywhere hes not sure of himself now. Neither particularly like wearing them but its better to be safe tham sorry.

Dennis has been in twice...once wearing this....

DSC00377.jpg

Second time it was as barge sara suggested he was wearing nothing...... :lol:

The first time he went in the handle was a handy way to ship him out, the second, it was a 'scruff of the neck' job.

With a large hairy wet spaniel rather than a small JRT it's going to be a lot more difficult, so I would say the same,

I have a soft spot for terriers and he is grand little fella.I bet he gets all his own way.

We have bread baskets hanging around the pontoon but he hasn't realised quite what there about! but anything to help I guess

Even better! :lol:

Lit the burner tonight after a week as I got cold last night and am now swelltering, off to the pub to cool down! never thought I'd be saying that!

Any excuse or as we say up north ,Canny crack..

We always did without with pippa (terrier/greyhound/mongral mix) and the great danes.

Although a handle/harness might have helped to get them out when they fell/jumped in they could all swim well enough and generally got themselfs out anyway.

Daniel