100 Norton Canes Narrowboats

sarahavfc

Featured Posts

Hi Sarah... don't know if you have them but just emailed you a couple of nice shots of Railay taken at Alrewas a few weeks ago, hope they're useful to you.

Good luck fulfilling your collection.

Edit: Just found a couple of shots of Adrastea... i'm not 100% certain it's the same Adrastea but think it's a pretty good bet, they're on their way to you.

Edited by The Anonymous Bard

• 3 years later...

Sarah

Just wondered what happened to the register. It disappeared when the new website arrived. Do you intend to reinstate it? Collected quite a few pics of NC boats, and continue to do so as I travel about :)

Sarah

Just wondered what happened to the register. It disappeared when the new website arrived. Do you intend to reinstate it? Collected quite a few pics of NC boats, and continue to do so as I travel about :)

Hi FD, can you share your pics with the forum?

Hi all,

I've redeveloped the website from scratch after a pretty fatal error.

I still have the register and all the photographs, but I've not decided how I want to present the information yet. The website is work in progress and I've learnt as I've gone along in terms of building it so there are still things to go on, I've just not worked out how to do half of it yet. I'm also trying to fit it all in between work / boating / Aston Villa games / taking Lamprey to bits, etc. wink.png

If anyone has any photos then I'd love to have them to put on the website (eventually).

Sarah

• Greenie 2

Hi FD, can you share your pics with the forum?

Will put em up on here when I'm on my 'puter .. Just on my iPad this eve.

Good to hear the register will be reinstated in the future.. Used it quite a bit to put name to number in the past. Must arrange to come by some time and try to figure out if my boat was 1017, 1015 or 1027 (IIRC) from some of your photos. I have a photo from 1999 which may help.

What's up with Lamprey? Saw Ling at Paul Barbers a few weeks back. Has new back cabin and front box.. Looking beautiful. Didn't know you'd parted company :(

• 3 weeks later...

As Promised.. (not that many, - thought I'd got a few more. Often don't have time to get the phone out. Apologies for crap photography skills!!))

1017 Rivendell (my boat)

IMG_0505.jpg

From above:

IMG_0903.jpg

1020 Kookabura at Fradley

IMG_0512.jpg

1080 Manitoba at Shobnall Gardens, T+M

IMG_0917.jpg

1076 Kano at Market Harborough Wharf

IMG_1045.jpg

1044 Tesla, at Thrupp

IMG_1100.jpg

1098 Jeanie Deans at Foxton Historic Boat Gathering 2014.

IMG_1123.jpg

1089 Montmorency (Tyler Wilson Shell, but Norton Canes Adaptation into hotel boat).

IMG_9553.jpg

1086 Railay

IMG_9557.jpg

IMG_9556.jpg

FD, were you in the Napton area over the Easter weekend? We passed, I'm sure, a Rivendell at least twice during our journey from Banbury to Napton and return. I can't imagine two boats sharing this quite unusual name.

Nope.. There is a hotel boat called Rivendell, and about another 7 or 8 according to Jim Shead. We were down the Soar last week.

I might change the boats name this Summer when I paint it to Tiddy Mun. fenland water spirit. There are no other boats called that! We bought e boat in the Fens, thus the idea of the name.

Great, thanks Rob.

I'm always taking photos of NC boats when I'm out on the cut too :)

It's a bit more selective than train spotting!

Quick work on the boat register, BTW! :-)

It was hand painted by Richard Corbett who used to work at Norton Canes.

And still looking pretty good despite its years. When we get around to repainting we want to redo the portrait but dread to think what it might cost!

FD, were you in the Napton area over the Easter weekend? We passed, I'm sure, a Rivendell at least twice during our journey from Banbury to Napton and return. I can't imagine two boats sharing this quite unusual name.

We have around three "Rivendells" on our local patch.

The "boat listing" currently shows 14 boats called "Rivendell".

I'm amazed, but pleased to be corrected. Does the name mean something? I assumed it was a word made up by the owners.

RLWP, your photo of hector interests me, as our boat Trojan wears an approximation of the Chance & Hunt livery as depicted in Paget-Tomlinson's 'Colours Of The Cut' book (see my avatar). But Hector appears to be maroon and either dark green or black; was this another C&H livery or is it the owners' own design?

Looks like a handsome boat in either case (actually bearing some resemblance to Trojan).

Rivendell is a place in the Lord of the Rings trilogy

Hector is dark green panelling with maroon edging and white stripes. I don't know if that is correct or not, I can find out from Jim if you want

Jim's cornet playing in Gosty Hill was superb

Richard