100 Norton Canes Narrowboats

sarahavfc

Featured Posts

Hi All,

My father, Graham has owned and run Norton Canes Boatbuilders since 1986. He is currently building his 100th boat for Norton Canes, NB. Honesty.

Inspired by Sarah's Town Class Sticker Album I have set myself the challenge of finding a photograph of every boat that he has built. While I'm at it, I might as well make a gallery for the Malcolm Braine boats that he built too!

I've made a start by creating an owners gallery on our website, which can be found here:

http://www.nortoncanesboatbuilders.co.uk/register.html

As you can see I'm quite a way off my target, so I need a bit of help… If anyone on here owns, or knows someone who owns a Norton Canes or a Malcolm Braine boat could you please send me some information about your boat? I am looking for the following information:

Name (If re-named, both original name and new name)

Build Date

Build Number (Norton Canes will start with 10 ie. 1001 for number 1)

Length

Other Info (Engine, Fitter, Mooring, whatever you want to tell me)

Photo (either current or old photo)

Please sent any information that you have to: sarah (at) nortoncanesboatbuilders (dot) co (dot) uk

Thanks!

Sarah

• Greenie 1

Hi,

there is a Norton cannes NB on the Erewash it's on an end of garden mooring adjecent to the Tamworth Rd Bridge at Long Eaton - I know the owner Derick to say hello to but have moved away from the area. I do pop into Long eaton now and then so will give him a copy of your email if i do

Cheers Bill and Denise NB Indulgence

I'll get you a picture next time i'm walking the dogs that way.

Paul

Thanks, Paul :lol:

A Malcome Braine is moored below Wooton Rivers, on the K & A, named Brutus

Thanks for that, I have a feeling that the Braines are going to be harder to Catalogue as they went by job number rather than build number!

Are you after just newbuilds or conversions too?

I'm sure I can find a few pics!

Ask Malcolm - he still has all the files - and ,I think, pictures of every boat.

(Thanks for your message on the 'other' forum. I don't check on their very often and only saw it last night. I have now managed to get some. :lol: )

Edited by Speedwheel

Hi Sarah

We are lucky enough to have been asked to fitout this 100th boat for the owners and can't wait to get started. We look forward to seeing the shell and meeting you and the team when we pop down a week tomorrow with Jan & John.

I always know when they've been down to look at the boat as they come back with a wide grin on their faces! :lol:

See you soon.

Justin.

Conversions would be good too!

I sold "Adrastea" last year, which was the stern end of the Little Woolwich butty, Satellite, that Malcolm B converted and stuck a Kelvin J2 in. His wooden top was allowed to deteriorate too far unfortunately so a new steel top and fit was done by Barry Hawkins. I can send you a pic if you'd like, if it fits in with your collection. Or maybe it's undergone too many changes?

I know you have one of Apopantos aka Kookaburra, because you kindly provided some photos for me when I couldn't get a decent exterior shot :lol:

Adrastea is a popular boat, I've already been sent info on her. Haven't had any photos yet, so anything that you have would be good!

Edited to add:

Dominic, do you have any photos of Avalon Mist?

Edited by sarahavfc

John and Sue Cooke own Braine boat Aegir. Its normally to be found at Shardlow moored on their private wharf. There is also a one that looks like one of Malcolms moored at Bishops Meadow, Loughborough, I'll take a photograph next time I go that way.

John and Sue Cooke own Braine boat Aegir. Its normally to be found at Shardlow moored on their private wharf. There is also a one that looks like one of Malcolms moored at Bishops Meadow, Loughborough, I'll take a photograph next time I go that way.

Thank you, much appreciated.

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far and also to those who have e-mailed me info and photos.

• 5 months later...

We're well on the way with the fitout of Graham's 100th shell. I'm trying to keep the blog updated regularly as lots of people have been keen to see the work progress, particularly with the Boatman's Cabin. To follow the fitout just click the Blog link below.

Cheers

Justin.

The Pirate Viscount was originally The Prospect of Birmingham built by NC in the late 80's. (Ask your Dad Sarah,you're too young to remember!)

I remember The Prospect of Birmingham, it was our old trip boat!! Happy memories, thanks for your reply :lol: