• BW won't object, but it is rather cheeky
    • Seriously extracting the proverbial
  3. 3. Whaley Bridge, Marple, Congleton, Kidsgrove, Macclesfield

• Perfectly OK
    • OK by me, but I suspect BW would object
    • BW won't object, but it is rather cheeky
    • Seriously extracting the proverbial

Featured Posts

Perhaps you could stop foaming at the mouth for a second and READ the OP.

So far as I can see, it offers no opinion whatsoever.

If i thought you really believed that (and i meant the wording of the poll, not so much your rationale) then your intelligence is much lower than i give you credit for.

I believe you are a grumpy bigot who has nothing much better to do than pick a bête noire and then rattle on about it ad infinitum.

That is of course your right.

Your continuous mooring bothers me not one whit, your continuous moaning angers and disgusts me.

I think you should save your bile for people who behave in ways that actually affect you in some way.

Yes, we can all point at boats we believe should behave differently but unless their behaviour directly affects us it is non of our business.

The fact that Julian Idleness and others wheel out the same isolated examples time after time leads me to conclude that the problem outlined is really quite insignificant and inflated in your mind in some kind of way linked with your sense of self importance.

If you have aroused the ire of Jill Wrigglefingers who is one the most sensible and level headed contributors to this forum then perhaps you should sit down and think about it a little more.

If i thought you really believed that (and i meant the wording of the poll, not so much your rationale) then your intelligence is much lower than i give you credit for.

I believe you are a grumpy bigot who has nothing much better to do than pick a bête noire and then rattle on about it ad infinitum.

That is of course your right.

Your continuous mooring bothers me not one whit, your continuous moaning angers and disgusts me.

I think you should save your bile for people who behave in ways that actually affect you in some way.

Yes, we can all point at boats we believe should behave differently but unless their behaviour directly affects us it is non of our business.

The fact that Julian Idleness and others wheel out the same isolated examples time after time leads me to conclude that the problem outlined is really quite insignificant and inflated in your mind in some kind of way linked with your sense of self importance.

If you have aroused the ire of Jill Wrigglefingers who is one the most sensible and level headed contributors to this forum then perhaps you should sit down and think about it a little more.

Now, do you feel better for that little rant?

Yes, I have strong opinions on this issue. Clearly you do as well (given the vehemence with which you attack any discussion of it)

Nobody forces you to join in the discussion, you could ignore it, but instead you point to the fact that even talking about it makes some people angry, and suggest that this means it should be the subject that cannot be discussed.

I do know of real sites, close at hand, where it is near impossible for a boater who is just passing through to get a mooring. The whole site being full of overstayers, or CCers returning over and over again. It does directly affect me.

Given your desire not to answer the question, it is heartening to see your continued presence in a thread about continuous cruisers.

And I hope you are noting how seriously I'm taking it, too.

imhe there's even more need to check the door then

He's probably forgotten where he left the door............."Nurse!"

I only use the same examples because I cant prove the others 100% and have been shot at enough on here to know that unless its 100% I will be told that there is no evidence.

I am well aware of many others that appear to fit the towpath shuffler mould between Tring and London but don't mention them because I don't see them every day so cant say 100% that they are.

Isn't the nub of all this the fact that we are all affected directly financially if some boaters contribute less than they should to the communal pot. if bridge hoppers want to shift about back and forth fair enough, but it becomes unfair if the shiftyness is to avoid paying mooring fees. it is then our business.

Isn't the nub of all this the fact that we are all affected directly financially if some boaters contribute less than they should to the communal pot. if bridge hoppers want to shift about back and forth fair enough, but it becomes unfair if the shiftyness is to avoid paying mooring fees. it is then our business.

Which particular pot?

It is like BW saying the battle against licence evasion has been won.

Has anyone noticed their licence fees plummeting?

In an ideal world.

Now, do you feel better for that little rant?

Yes, I have strong opinions on this issue. Clearly you do as well (given the vehemence with which you attack any discussion of it)

Nobody forces you to join in the discussion, you could ignore it, but instead you point to the fact that even talking about it makes some people angry, and suggest that this means it should be the subject that cannot be discussed.

I do know of real sites, close at hand, where it is near impossible for a boater who is just passing through to get a mooring. The whole site being full of overstayers, or CCers returning over and over again. It does directly affect me.

We couldn't find anywhere to moor at the end of the Peak Forest, at either Whaley Bridge or the Basins, but the basins seemed to us to be full of visitors (like us) and whose bright idea was it to make so many perm. moorings at the Whaley Bridge end? There was barely any space for visitors.

We couldn't find anywhere to moor at the end of the Peak Forest, at either Whaley Bridge or the Basins, but the basins seemed to us to be full of visitors (like us) and whose bright idea was it to make so many perm. moorings at the Whaley Bridge end? There was barely any space for visitors.

If you couldn't find a space at Bugsworth, you were seriously unlucky. Other than on special events, I have never known it full.

Whaley bridge has always been tight for Visitor Moorings.

The next nearest bit of towpath that you can actually moor on downstream is one of the places that is always full of overstayers, and returners.

If you couldn't find a space at Bugsworth, you were seriously unlucky. Other than on special events, I have never known it full.

Whaley bridge has always been tight for Visitor Moorings.

The next nearest bit of towpath that you can actually moor on downstream is one of the places that is always full of overstayers, and returners.

My bad that we chose bank holiday weekend in August to visit!

From recollection, growing up in the area, they simply decided to formalise what was already happening

One thing you should note, if you think of things like the don't move very far people on the western K and A, is that the area isn't exactly awash with vacant moorings, broadmead moorings on the Avon have a waiting list that is has more boats on it than their moorings do, for example. Now, I know the old argument you shouldn't buy a boat then but a friend of ours, seperated, bought a boat because he likes the lifestyle and it was affordable, given he had to move out of the matrimonial home, but whenever he bids for a mooring he gets outbid, and the marinas are full. He isn't exactly poor, but house prices in Bath mean it's a boat or a tent.

What does get up my nose is people living a long way away, and buying a boat a long way away, and just pitching up in the Limpley Stoke Valley. I know you could say I'm prejudiced, but Job has an IT consultancy to run in Bath, he needs to be here.

I would add that there are very few people who do just pitch up on the Western K and A, I suspect most who say they'll do it decide it's not a very bright idea, or get to the top of Caen Hill and faint.