• BW won't object, but it is rather cheeky
    • Seriously extracting the proverbial
  3. 3. Whaley Bridge, Marple, Congleton, Kidsgrove, Macclesfield

• Perfectly OK
    • OK by me, but I suspect BW would object
    • BW won't object, but it is rather cheeky
    • Seriously extracting the proverbial

Featured Posts

No idea. I'm just going on how often you post on threads like these.

And you!

Interesting results so far. The majority seem to think that all are taking the p*ss. These people are obviously not posting comments however.

I think that most people don't mind genuine continuous cruisers but object to those who are breaking the rules and clogging up good mooring spaces.

I'm not sure such a poll will necessarily produce a result that represents the views of an average cross-section of boaters, because those who hold strong feelings about continuous cruisers are far more likely to respond.

I voted, I have strong feelings about continuous cruisers, would love to do it myself one day, going all round the system till I'm a skeleton at the helm.

And, shirley, there are those who vehemently support bridge hopping, who even though they are working avoid their dues, who will have cast their vote too! Democracy rules, don't grumble if the answer is not in your favour. On the other hand, if the eton spawn get in on 6th May........

I voted, I have strong feelings about continuous cruisers, would love to do it myself one day, going all round the system till I'm a skeleton at the helm.

And, shirley, there are those who vehemently support bridge hopping, who even though they are working avoid their dues, who will have cast their vote too! Democracy rules, don't grumble if the answer is not in your favour. On the other hand, if the eton spawn get in on 6th May........

Exactly, you've made my point. I said those with strong feelings about continuous cruising.will vote. I didn't say those with strong feelings against (abuse of) continuous cruising will vote.

Look at the results of the poll and you can already see the polarisation. Could it be that those with more moderate or relaxed views on the subject aren't reflected in the results?.

Edited by blackrose

As a relative newbie and having read numerous posts on this subject ,my interpretation of the situation is, BW have, out of the need to be seen to regulate canal use given those who wish not to be tied to any particular mooring a great deal of license to use the system ad hoc without the burden of mooring fees for a home base. the system seems to me to accomadate these "romantics of the waterways" with great tolerance. In conclusion continual discussions about what the hard and fast rules are is pointless as the rules are clearly stated allowing for flexibility of circumstance, and in so doing, in practice will prevent the continous chasing of individuals except in circumstances where some individuals flout the rules so badly as to make it impossible to be seen to take no action....... :lol:

Exactly, you've made my point. I said those with strong feelings about continuous cruising.will vote. I didn't say those with strong feelings against (abuse of) continuous cruising will vote.

Look at the results of the poll and you can already see the polarisation. Could it be that those with more moderate or relaxed views on the subject aren't reflected in the results?.

but those with relaxed views will still lean one way or the other, just to a lesser degree, even tho they don't vote. One can't infer which way they would have voted if they did. Unless it's the eton spawn winning on the 6th may....... then we need revolution and strife (tho no doubt strife will ensue anyway, as it did last time in the mid 80's)

Can you work out where I have left my keys then?

Is it an FS key, for the MG?

I'll send you one of mine. One key fits all.

but those with relaxed views will still lean one way or the other,

If their views are too relaxed, though, they'll presumably lean which ever way the wind blows.....or sway from one side to the other.

Responding to a similar topic in which I pointed out the fact that until BW took measures to enforce the legislation at their disposal arguments about the pros and cons of this subject were a waste of time which caused CP to respond in his usual vitriolic manner. However I think bridge hoppers are here to stay (so to speak) the real culprits are the owners of boats who have no intention of moving whatsoever. Before CP gets in his ENVY or if they're poor its OK mode I'm sure all boaters could name at least one boat that would fit in the catergory mentioned. The two boats moored at Aylestone Lock since last summer, the four boats moored outside the Cheshire Cat for years, the list is endless how can any of the pro continual moorers defend this lot?

Responding to a similar topic in which I pointed out the fact that until BW took measures to enforce the legislation at their disposal arguments about the pros and cons of this subject were a waste of time which caused CP to respond in his usual vitriolic manner. However I think bridge hoppers are here to stay (so to speak) the real culprits are the owners of boats who have no intention of moving whatsoever. Before CP gets in his ENVY or if they're poor its OK mode I'm sure all boaters could name at least one boat that would fit in the catergory mentioned. The two boats moored at Aylestone Lock since last summer, the four boats moored outside the Cheshire Cat for years, the list is endless how can any of the pro continual moorers defend this lot?

Because they are part of "that lot"?