Onwards and Upwards

mayalld

Featured Posts

All good things, they say, must come to an end.

And, in our case, the feeling that the good things had come to an end have been creeping up on us for a while.

We've been moored at Warble Wharf for almost 6 years now (since Mr Jinks was built). From the beginning, it was never the prettiest mooring, but it had everything that we needed;

• Water
  • Diesel
  • Electric (provided I would install it)
  • Gas
  • Car Parking
  • Basic Elsan disposal
  • Rubbish disposal
  • Secure

and it was only £100 a month. The fact that you ended up double moored about half the time was a pain, but bearable.

I suppose that the rot set in when Lees Narrowboats went bump. That saw an increase in our mooring fee to £120 a month, shortly followed by the loss of Diesel, Gas and Rubbish disposal, and more boats packed in such that we were all permanently double moored.

The second nail in the coffin came when the new landlord decided that he didn't want to pay any of our mooring fees to BW, and we ended up with £45 a month for a mooring permit (whilst still paying £120 to the landlord). The one saving grace at that time was that half the moorers decided to leave, and we were at least single moored.

The straw that broke the camel's back came when, just before Christmas, the landlord let out the vacant half of the building to a firm of scaffolders.

• They turn the water off every weekend "in case it freezes", leaving moorers with no water.
  • They built large rack to hold their scaffold poles that obstructs access to the elsan disposal
  • Between their lorries and the racking, there is scarcely room to park any longer
  • They habitually leave the gates open, whilst they nip out, and fairly often forget to lock them up at night
  • No rubbish bins, so there is an ever growing mountain of their rubbish (the moorers take their own to the tip) building at the front of the building, attracting rats, and their staff seem never to heard of the concept that KFC boxes go somewhere other than the floor.
  • The yard is unsurfaced, with just a thin layer of road scrapings, which have been fine until now with just light traffic, but the regular comings and goings of their lorries have turned it into a mudbath.

Looked at objectively, of all the facilities I listed that were there when we first took up the mooring, the only one that still remains is the electric that I installed myself!

So, the time has come for a change of scene. Those on the Upper PF should beware, because in two weeks, we (and another "boater of this parish") will be off up Marple Locks to a new mooring near the sweetie factory.

Perhaps our soon-to-be-ex-landlord will reflect upon the fact that 5 of his 7 moorers leaving over the course of 6 months might just be pointing to a problem in the way he manages the site?

And, in our case, the feeling that the good things had come to an end have been creeping up on us for a while.

We've been moored at Warble Wharf for almost 6 years now (since Mr Jinks was built). From the beginning, it was never the prettiest mooring, but it had everything that we needed;

• Water
  • Diesel
  • Gas
  • Car Parking
  • Basic Elsan disposal
  • Rubbish disposal
  • Secure

and it was only £100 a month. The fact that you ended up double moored about half the time was a pain, but bearable.

I suppose that the rot set in when Lees Narrowboats went bump. That saw an increase in our mooring fee to £120 a month, shortly followed by the loss of Diesel, Gas and Rubbish disposal, and more boats packed in such that we were all permanently double moored.

The second nail in the coffin came when the new landlord decided that he didn't want to pay any of our mooring fees to BW, and we ended up with £45 a month for a mooring permit (whilst still paying £120 to the landlord). The one saving grace at that time was that half the moorers decided to leave, and we were at least single moored.

The straw that broke the camel's back came when, just before Christmas, the landlord let out the vacant half of the building to a firm of scaffolders.

• They turn the water off every weekend "in case it freezes", leaving moorers with no water.
  • They built large rack to hold their scaffold poles that obstructs access to the elsan disposal
  • Between their lorries and the racking, there is scarcely room to park any longer
  • They habitually leave the gates open, whilst they nip out, and fairly often forget to lock them up at night
  • No rubbish bins, so there is an ever growing mountain of their rubbish (the moorers take their own to the tip) building at the front of the building, attracting rats, and their staff seem never to heard of the concept that KFC boxes go somewhere other than the floor.
  • The yard is unsurfaced, with just a thin layer of road scrapings, which have been fine until now with just light traffic, but the regular comings and goings of their lorries have turned it into a mudbath.

Looked at objectively, of all the facilities I listed that were there when we first took up the mooring, the only one that still remains is the electric that I installed myself!

So, the time has come for a change of scene. Those on the Upper PF should beware, because in two weeks, we (and another "boater of this parish") will be off up Marple Locks to a new mooring near the sweetie factory.

Perhaps our soon-to-be-ex-landlord will reflect upon the fact that 5 of his 7 moorers leaving over the course of 6 months might just be pointing to a problem in the way he manages the site?

That is quite an increase in charges. Is there much competition for mooring in the area?

Holiday boat owners as a matter of course do move on after a while to get access to new cruising opportunities but it seems to me (in our area anyway) that the trend for mooring prices is downward and anyone who pays the full asking price isn't negotiating correctly. Not saying that is so in your case as I imagine you did try.

Good luck and happy boating from your new mooring.

Such a shame, sounds as if you were happy there.

Still a change never harms every know and again. Good luck with the new mooring :lol:

We were happy there, and had we remained happy we would have stayed for a long time to come (even though the location was rather limiting on our cruising range).

The simple fact is that the things that made us happy had gone, and it wasn't going to be possible to get them back.

Our new mooring isn't very far away (6 hours cruising from where we are now), but it does mean that we now have a whole host of very easy destinations within 4 hours cruise, rather than just one from where we are now.

Oh, and it is part way between home and work by car, so really looking forward to a new lease of life.

We were happy there, and had we remained happy we would have stayed for a long time to come (even though the location was rather limiting on our cruising range).

The simple fact is that the things that made us happy had gone, and it wasn't going to be possible to get them back.

Our new mooring isn't very far away (6 hours cruising from where we are now), but it does mean that we now have a whole host of very easy destinations within 4 hours cruise, rather than just one from where we are now.

Oh, and it is part way between home and work by car, so really looking forward to a new lease of life.

Every cloud.....................

Just keep off those Love Hearts. They can be addictive.

Guest .mother

KIneck Dave! For a moment I thought your were, well...

So one would think eh? Sadly I reckon they won't care.

Still, I hope you find new treasures :-)

• Water
  • Diesel
  • Gas
  • Car Parking
  • Basic Elsan disposal
  • Rubbish disposal
  • Secure

and I had to buy the hose !!

I'm astounded to have found Dave has posted this news while I've been out, and despite 14 posts already, nobody has suggested he could save himself a mint, and have nearly as many facilities by "continually cruising"!

Sorry, couldn't resist - I hope new mooring goe well for you, (speaking as another who decided recently it was time for a change....)

I'm astounded to have found Dave has posted this news while I've been out, and despite 14 posts already, nobody has suggested he could save himself a mint, and have nearly as many facilities by "continually cruising"!

Well, my questions in another thread were sort of prompted by the thought that the area where we are now mooring could feasibly be used by people with 4 different moorings in rotation all handy for a train station with easy access to Manchester.

Well, my questions in another thread were sort of prompted by the thought that the area where we are now mooring could feasibly be used by people with 4 different moorings in rotation all handy for a train station with easy access to Manchester.

Oh God! I've only just got to the end of the liveaboard but no etc etc thread. How long could the next one be?

OTH, good luck with the new mooring, it's a wrench to leave somewhere with happy memories but I'm sure the new one will be better.

Your new moorings are a bit expensive. We moored there for a couple of years until we got in at Furness Vale. It might be worth your while joining the NCCC which is where we moor now. They are very friendly and have some good events. We have everything that you had at your previous place except the electricity plus a workshop that we can use. It will take some time to get a mooring ( a year for us) but it is worth it. Our mooring fee is £70 pcm. Mind you that is for 42ft. Plenty of very knowledgable people around.

Your new moorings are a bit expensive. We moored there for a couple of years until we got in at Furness Vale. It might be worth your while joining the NCCC which is where we moor now. They are very friendly and have some good events. We have everything that you had at your previous place except the electricity plus a workshop that we can use. It will take some time to get a mooring ( a year for us) but it is worth it. Our mooring fee is £70 pcm. Mind you that is for 42ft. Plenty of very knowledgable people around.

They aren't too bad on price, basically it will cost us pretty much the same as it cost at Warble when you factor in the electric.

Having a shore line is high on our list of requirements, and to be honest I really don't think we are NCCC material!