Hull Blacking

Kristian

Featured Posts

Hello all, I will be doing my own hull blacking later this year, have you lot got any recommendations about which type of 9-12" roller sleeves to use?

Will it be the foam type or the furry emulsion type? And how long do they last when using hull blacking, just trying to work out how many I may need.

Thanks Kristian.

........... have you lot got any recommendations about which type of 9-12" roller sleeves to use?

Will it be the foam type or the furry emulsion type? And how long do they last when using hull blacking, just trying to work out how many I may need.

I use a furry one, in fact a 7 inch one which is not too unwieldy to handle and fits nicely between the rubbing strakes, and follow with a 3in brush in the other hand to remove any tiny bubbles. I only use one per blacking and trap the whole thing in water (in the roller tray) between coats (shake well to remove water from inside roller before starting next coat!). It's only a cheap kit that I buy (around £1.79 - £1.99 from Wilko) then bin brush, roller and tray when finished. :lol:

Hello all, I will be doing my own hull blacking later this year, have you lot got any recommendations about which type of 9-12" roller sleeves to use?

Thanks Kristian.

I have never seen anyone using 9-12inch rollers, most people use the small 3 or 4 inch rollers.

The furry type rollers are good for the first coat as they get into any pitting on the hull. Additional coats could be done with foam rollers.

I usually a six pack of each type and have some left over. You can make them last longer by leaving them in water overnight.

Steve

The other tip is to wrap clingfilm around your rollers and brushes when you've finished for the day. If you make sure you they are well wrapped, and don't have air trapped in them, they're fine to use after a bit of dipping the following morning.

We usually go around the boat first getting into the bits and peices with a brush, such as the welds on the bands and where the side plate meets the base plate.. and then go over it all with a roller.

Thanks Kristian.

Foam every time.

Oh, and put aside any norty thoughts you have about doing the job double quick with a big roller. Mini-rollers are what is required, and you will need lots of spare sleeves, cos they disintegrate,

Depends a little on both the paint, and the substright, but we use 4inch coarse foam rollers, two people one each side, two coats. Four rollers. But have some spare because some done last as well and theres nothing worse than being on your last one and it start breaking up half way thought the last coat.

Daniel

I have never seen anyone using 9-12inch rollers, most people use the small 3 or 4 inch rollers.

The furry type rollers are good for the first coat as they get into any pitting on the hull. Additional coats could be done with foam rollers.

I usually a six pack of each type and have some left over. You can make them last longer by leaving them in water overnight.

Steve

Hi

The professionals use the 12" furry rollers. So do I, foam are no good because they are not strong enough for bitchumen.

I store the roller in the paint tin and fish it out with the handle when needed - always good to go.

Alex

Hi

The professionals use the 12" furry rollers. So do I, foam are no good because they are not strong enough for bitchumen.

I store the roller in the paint tin and fish it out with the handle when needed - always good to go.

Alex

We use 9" furry rollers. The foam are too soft and tend to disintegrate especially with tar based paints.

Keep them under water overnight, shake off the water before starting again.

Some rollers will shed hairs to start with, it's trial and error on that but I don't remember that problem recently.

Tim

I hear you gave your blacking a close inspection the other day Chris - come on, tell all........

Yep tis true Richard

Walking down the gunnels )(sic) of Baldock..foot decided to go into space and brain told hand to let go of the rail !!

FIRST full scale immersion of the year... fekkin cold.....

Didn't stay in long enough to check the blacking though.....

Chris

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ;)

Interesting - does no one else use a brush? I wouldn't attempt it with anything else.

I've only ever used the 'thinner' paints such as Key's Imperial No. 1 (now defunct) or RapidPaints Bitumen, and have both brushed and rollered them, the roller to cover the large areas and the brush for 'corners' much as one would for emulsion.

Comastic and Intertuf, I've only ever seen brushed, presumably because they are much thicker paints.

Like most things, it's down to personal choice. Having carpal tunnel syndrome, I could not even consider using those thick paints or brushing the whole boat.

Yep tis true Richard

Walking down the gunnels )(sic) of Baldock..foot decided to go into space and brain told hand to let go of the rail !!

FIRST full scale immersion of the year... fekkin cold.....

Didn't stay in long enough to check the blacking though.....

Chris

:lol: :lol: :lol:;) ;)

Funny how the brain does that. I gave up gym at school when I should have done a somersault over a horse. Head down, bum up and I let go :lol:

Sue

Interesting - does no one else use a brush? I wouldn't attempt it with anything else.

We used brushes second time round and managed to get quite a bit more on, thickness wise, than with rollers. We were at caggy's and Ralph and Gordon derided us for using a roller first time round as it went on too thin for their liking. With experience I'd agree.

Sorry for gravedigging but I'm thread hunting.