fishing persons

mikevye

Featured Posts

Or a motor and butty, a cyclist, fisherman and a kayak....

The 'angler' (fisherman risk their lives at sea, to put fish on your table... :lol: ) raises his pole to the vertical, electrocuting himself on the overhead powerlines...

The pole, no longer controled by the 'angler', falls back to the horizontal, knocking the cyclist of his bicycle...

The kayaker looks on in amazement, and fails to spot the end of the pole, now sticking out over the waters edge, and spear himself in the head...

The motor and butty put-put past the scene, shaking head and sipping tea...

:lol:

One fisher person once told me, as I walked the S. Oxford towpath with my young son, that I had no right to walk the towpath and create any risk to his rod as it wasn't a public footpath and he knew because he was a BW man. I remember suggesting politely that he could think again :lol:

Roger

Well he was right on one point probably It is not a "public" foot path, but a permissive one.

How is your ice up that end of the world?

+ a big fish on the hook....

you can't get a big fish when pole angling, the line will break.

i believe that's why some people angle in this way, because they are actually scared of big fish :lol:

and I've always assumed it was illegal to block a public right of way, but then if the towpath isn't a public right of way thats a different story of course.

Well he was right on one point probably It is not a "public" foot path, but a permissive one.

How is your ice up that end of the world?

Permissive or not he had no right to stop me walking the towpath. Just the same rights (or not) apply to him and his fishing. Cuts both ways.

We've had a lot more snow overnight. The canal is mainly frozen over with ducks and swans standing on the ice looking fed up. That's in the good bit of North Yorkshire. Other parts of the region are much worse according to the regional BBC TV news just now.

Roger

you can't get a big fish when pole angling, the line will break.

i believe that's why some people angle in this way, because they are actually scared of big fish :lol:

Not true I'm afraid

Some canals hold carp up to ten pounds or more plus other larger species like tench, bream and perch. Anglers fish for them with poles that have a strong elastic shock absorbing section between the pole and the line that goes in the water.

The majority of fish in most canals are small though so to present the bait in exactly the right place the pole gives the angler the accuracy they need

Happy New Year everyone.

Stuck in at home due to snow fall !!!!!!!!!

I have to admit I am a keen angler, keen Narrow Boater,and keen walker (not been on a bike for a while).

Im sure we have all met people from these catagories who could have an arguement in an empty room.

I say lifes to short just get on with what you enjoy and ignore the killjoys of this world they wiill always be ther dont give them the satisfaction of a confrontation.

Phew I feel better for that roll on the summer.

Had one the over day fishing on a winding hole in claverton.

While i was turning

He started ranting about boats ect and giving me the V's so i picked up my boat hook and pointed with it to the bank and said loudly

"I'm gonna moor there and come and cave you effing head in"

He legged it and left his gear with his grandad

Each and every angler is different some lift the pole at the last minute, others with plenty of time - it all depends, but most of the time if its a match the pole wont lift untill the last second!

The same goes to the towpath....I like to keep it clear at all times, I feel that it's wrong to block the tow path for whatever "traffic" (pedestrians, cyclists, dogs, magic walking sausages etc) there happens to be coming.

GE

Yep, ban all fishing poles from the towpath because a few selfish idiots are abusing the system, ideal!

OK then lets ban all boats then because of the few twits that overstay on visitor moorings, i can see that going down well!

Blimey, you took the bait there then! :lol:

Not true I'm afraid

Some canals hold carp up to ten pounds or more plus other larger species like tench, bream and perch. Anglers fish for them with poles that have a strong elastic shock absorbing section between the pole and the line that goes in the water.

The majority of fish in most canals are small though so to present the bait in exactly the right place the pole gives the angler the accuracy they need

Oh.

Ok.

I know about the big Carp, and I've noted the elastic bit too.

I thought they were fishing for roach. Must do more revision on the subject.

thanks for the correction

Why fish for Perch with a pole? Surely a spinner or worm would be better??

Seems a bit silly, a large fish struggling on the hook might pull the pole out of your hand or separate the sections. I guess they are well plugged together.

My assumption about the size was based on never actually seeing a fish bigger than about 4 inches caught on a pole.

The most ridiculous comment I ever had when asking a pole angler to move his rod out of the way when walking down the tow path was 'wait a minute mate, I've got a fish!!'

Bet he didn't expect that :lol:

Oh.

Ok.

I know about the big Carp, and I've noted the elastic bit too.

I thought they were fishing for roach. Must do more revision on the subject.

thanks for the correction

Seems a bit silly, a large fish struggling on the hook might pull the pole out of your hand or separate the sections. I guess they are well plugged together.

My assumption about the size was based on never actually seeing a fish bigger than about 4 inches caught on a pole.

The most ridiculous comment I ever had when asking a pole angler to move his rod out of the way when walking down the tow path was 'wait a minute mate, I've got a fish!!'

Bet he didn't expect that :lol:

Strength of the elastic (and line) depends on the size of fish you are after

Perch will just as happily take maggots as any other bait - and they like dark shady places so a pole gets the hookbait to exactly where the fish are. The elastic is the shock absorber so the pole sections are safe

<snip>

<snip>

You would use a Rod, not a Pole for a Perch?

Richard

I've got the measure of you...

(5.03 metres)

Proper anglers dont use poles. Theres no skill in plonking the bait exactly where you want it using a pole. Get a rod out and get casting. The old skills are going to the dogs. Poles are another european import we could well do without. My old dad would be rotating in his grave if could see all this pole fishing nonsense..........Really enjoyed this first grump of the year. :lol:

Yes, but they did help us during the war! Plus, they make very cheap labourers :lol:

Yes, but they did help us during the war! Plus, they make very cheap labourers :lol:

As far as I recall we declared war on Germany to free the Poles from Nazi oppression, some years later when the Nazis were defeated we left them under Soviet oppression instead. So, I don't mind if they want to come here as 'cheap labourers', I reckon we owe them............

Ditchdabbler