fishing persons

mikevye

Featured Posts

Haven't had a rant for ages but on sunday I saw my aspidistra at Grindley Brook. Walked under the bridge by the staircase to be met by the sight of two of them fishing between the the NO FISHING signs so positioned because of a very low power cable which their poles could easily touch. No problem let em fry so after negotiating past the rods walks on. Then between lock 1 & 2 the pathway narrows to single passing and there's FOUR of them all with poles completely taking up that section effectively blocking it off to everyone else! Makes my blood boil!! Whilst idiots like this prevail the long rod should be banned from the towpath gggrrrrrr.

For the first lot, don't worry. let Darwins theory sort them out. As for the second lot... fishing equipment is rather expensive and I usually find that if you carry on walking they will move it out of your way.

Somebody I used to work with in the evening walked home along the canal, and in complete darkness, stood on and broke one of these carbon fibre fishing poles which average out at about £2k. As you would expect the fisherman went ape sh*t and demanded that my colleague pay for repairs or replacement. He didn't get very far with that one.

Haven't had a rant for ages but on sunday I saw my aspidistra at Grindley Brook. Walked under the bridge by the staircase to be met by the sight of two of them fishing between the the NO FISHING signs so positioned because of a very low power cable which their poles could easily touch. No problem let em fry so after negotiating past the rods walks on. Then between lock 1 & 2 the pathway narrows to single passing and there's FOUR of them all with poles completely taking up that section effectively blocking it off to everyone else! Makes my blood boil!! Whilst idiots like this prevail the long rod should be banned from the towpath gggrrrrrr.

Not a bad attempt at a rant, (particularly,if, as you say, you have not practised lately)!

Seven out of ten, from me!

Could have done with a bit more of the "why are fishermen such miserable gits" stuff, though! :lol:

Yep, ban all fishing poles from the towpath because a few selfish idiots are abusing the system, ideal!

OK then lets ban all boats then because of the few twits that overstay on visitor moorings, i can see that going down well!

Did you ask them to move anything that was blocking the footpath and did they apologise to you?

Did they know you were walking along the towpath?

By the way it's not a "pole rod", it's a pole, a pole and a rod are two different things....and we're anglers not "fishing persons".

GE

Edited by garethevans1986

No the anglers apologising to you for blocking the towpath.

Generally if I'm fishing and I've shipped back my pole and not had time to move something out the way of somebody walking along the towpath Ill move it and apologise...I think it's only fair.

Most people are fine and alright with it and say "no need to rush", some try and step over the pole and bits and I've seen some anglers go nuts because somebody, in this instance some old fella and an ice towpath, stepped over this fella's expensive pole which could of ended up in disaster.

Edit: Sorry just reread what I posted and can see the confusion. I've amended my post.

Edited by garethevans1986

No they're not - they are both 16.5 feet long, as is a perch! - see this.

David

(I'll get my coat...)

My goodness - a perch that big would look good with a few chips

pass me my coat as well will you

Edited by Bazza2

Proper anglers dont use poles. Theres no skill in plonking the bait exactly where you want it using a pole. Get a rod out and get casting. The old skills are going to the dogs. Poles are another european import we could well do without. My old dad would be rotating in his grave if could see all this pole fishing nonsense..........Really enjoyed this first grump of the year. :lol:

Proper anglers dont use poles. Theres no skill in plonking the bait exactly where you want it using a pole. Get a rod out and get casting. The old skills are going to the dogs. Poles are another european import we could well do without. My old dad would be rotating in his grave if could see all this pole fishing nonsense..........Really enjoyed this first grump of the year. :lol:

Wot abart some pole dancing? :lol: :lol:

I wonder of the angler was to do a bit of a jig when holding his fishing Pole could that be classed as pole dancing? :lol:;)

Wot abart some pole dancing? :lol: :lol:

Ah yer beat me to it!!

One of my few unfulfilled ambitions, those characters that lift their 'pole' out of your way with just a few milliseconds to spare.. I always yearned that one day the hook (I assume there was a hook) would catch on the bed of the cut.. I dreamt of that very satisfying crack as the carbon fibres exceeded their tensile strength.

Not a bad attempt at a rant, (particularly,if, as you say, you have not practised lately)!

Seven out of ten, from me!

Could have done with a bit more of the "why are fishermen such miserable gits" stuff, though! :lol:

I didn't really feel you meant it in the early sections of this rant. You warmed up towards the end but didn't really lose it at any point. Six.

Richard

Len?

Did you ask them to move anything that was blocking the footpath and did they apologise to you?

Did they know you were walking along the towpath?

One fisher person once told me, as I walked the S. Oxford towpath with my young son, that I had no right to walk the towpath and create any risk to his rod as it wasn't a public footpath and he knew because he was a BW man. I remember suggesting politely that he could think again :lol:

Roger

One of my few unfulfilled ambitions, those characters that lift their 'pole' out of your way with just a few milliseconds to spare.. I always yearned that one day the hook (I assume there was a hook) would catch on the bed of the cut.. I dreamt of that very satisfying crack as the carbon fibres exceeded their tensile strength.

It makes that very satisfying crack when the hook/line gets caught in the props of a boat

I was walking the ponies down the towpath in their training gear when we met with fishermen and their long poles. The first 3 thought it was magic, showed the ponies the stuff (first time they've ever seen fishermen) and moved things over so we could fit pastl, then the 4th one thought he'd be clever, didnt move his stuff and smacked Sunday on the bum with the pole to make him go past quicker. He was suprised when Sunday tried to bolt, I shouted at him and his three companions gave him hell too. It serves him right that one of his mates stood on the pole. :lol:

I was walking the ponies down the towpath in their training gear when we met with fishermen and their long poles. The first 3 thought it was magic, showed the ponies the stuff (first time they've ever seen fishermen) and moved things over so we could fit pastl, then the 4th one thought he'd be clever, didnt move his stuff and smacked Sunday on the bum with the pole to make him go past quicker. He was suprised when Sunday tried to bolt, I shouted at him and his three companions gave him hell too. It serves him right that one of his mates stood on the pole. :lol:

Sometimes natural justice does prevail!