And the temperature outside is ...........

wirren

Featured Posts

Just seen its -3 outside our house,. :lol:

The boat is 25 miles away on the Peak Forest canal..... anyone know if the canal is frozen over yet ?

Old River Nene iced over (2 inchs), 7 inchs snow, more on the way, Overnight temp -7 C

Firesprite

Middle Levels

Just to off slightly :lol:

Having booked a week in Feb with the clear potential for ice then - a question from somebody who hasn't boated in the winter before -

How cold does it generally have to get and how thick does ice have to be before it impedes progress????

I guess some of this will be about deciding how safe it is to use locks/bridges in icy conditions.

Any experienced winter boaters care to comment?

Edited to add-

Talking steel narrow boats and canals not GRP and rivers BTW - should it make a difference.

Edited by MJG

We had about 10mm of ice round the boat on the Oxford Canal at Cropredy this morning but the canoe club are currently out (!) with their ice boat leading the convoy. It was very cold last night and this is the first time the canal here has iced up here this Winter.

Hi all

It's -2 in the West Midlands and Resolute is sitting in what I call "cat ice" thin stuff that probably may not support a cat, in truth. I'm running the heating on tick over to allay freezing problems.

The earlier winter/frozen cut boating post....yes, I've done it, many times, through ice half to inch thick, but it's hard work steering and the boat tends to follow the cracks rather than the channel. Boating thro' ice tears the blacking off very efficiently and locks are hazardous - slipping's so easy!

If I had to, I'd do it, but no longer for the hell of it as was sometimes the case in the past. If it's a hire boat you're intending to use I imagine the company will have a policy on such use - I'd ask well in advance.

Cheers

Dave

Brownsover, Rugby.

One inch of ice, two boats have been through, first one nice and slow and ice did not break except where it went through.

Second boat (Oakwood) went through at speed and forced large sheets of ice across the canal, sounded like someone was hitting the boat with a sledge hammer.

Travelling that fast, I could not have a rant at him, fancied a rant this morning. :lol:

About 10mm of ice here. Photo posted on the other snow thread

-6 deg C in my fore-cabin with 1-2mm ice in Ashwood Basin. No boat movements,

I am breasted up, crossing others' traditional decks which are iced up, traditional gunwales with no non-slip paint and traditional hand-rails you can't get fingers round.

-6 deg C in my fore-cabin with 1-2mm ice in Ashwood Basin. No boat movements,

I am breasted up, crossing others' traditional decks which are iced up, traditional gunwales with no non-slip paint and traditional hand-rails you can't get fingers round.

I tried walking along the gunwhale this morning to get a bag of wood off the roof, slid off and nearly got my first dunking :lol: Luckily I managed to hang on and got away with one cold, wet foot!

I tried walking along the gunwhale this morning to get a bag of wood off the roof, slid off and nearly got my first dunking :o Luckily I managed to hang on and got away with one cold, wet foot!

'traditional' handrail or proper ones with upstands you can really hang on to?

Hi,

!0 mm of ice this am, water in boat running but froze as soon as it hit the s.steel sink, lit and left 'Kabola' running, with 'Ecofan' - problem solved.

Cowroast - not too much snow (more at Chesham), very cold..

Leo.

Just seen its -3 outside our house,. :lol:

The boat is 25 miles away on the Peak Forest canal..... anyone know if the canal is frozen over yet ?

:lol: Hi

Bloody cold here near Oxford but wind rippling water stopped it from forming a crust. I am on an English canal in England last year we had about three inches of snow, looking at other posts apparently some people have chocolate ice called mm,s do they buy their beer by the litre in their local ? and drive by the kilometre to work !! lets hope not or else we will be in danger of becoming eoropean without even being attached to their continent....Heaven forbid :lol: