British Pathe ......... old film footage

wirren

Featured Posts

This one is (despite the naff commentary) a very good video of three of the "Idle Women" from World War 2.

"Audrey, Evelyn & Ann" are referred to in the books on the topic as having been one of the crack teams that could easily compete with the life long boaters.

It also shows towing a butty with running blocks, something I have only rarely seen on archive film, (as opposed to modern recreations).

Magic!

This one is (despite the naff commentary) a very good video of three of the "Idle Women" from World War 2.

"Audrey, Evelyn & Ann" are referred to in the books on the topic as having been one of the crack teams that could easily compete with the life long boaters.

It also shows towing a butty with running blocks, something I have only rarely seen on archive film, (as opposed to modern recreations).

Magic!

A couple of things come to mind. The first is working the butty offset from the motor. Is that usual?

Secondly, these girls apparently were nurses and a worker in a camouflage factory before joining the boats. I'm surprised that nurses could leave and work on boats in wartime.

Richard

Another gem....

LITTLE VENICE

I love it, because my family owned one of the ex BW "Water Baby" hire cruisers depicted.

The bow wave from the converted narrow boat acting as water bus towards the end looks pretty impressive too!

Thanks very much for posting those. I am intrigued by the consistent use of the terms "barge" and "bargee" throughout - was this boaters' parlance at the time or just Pathe News' perception of the right terminology?

Thanks very much for posting those. I am intrigued by the consistent use of the terms "barge" and "bargee" throughout - was this boaters' parlance at the time or just Pathe News' perception of the right terminology?

Almost certainly the latter, like some of the other anomalies there, I think, (e.g. "screw" which I don't think I have ever used for a propeller on a canal boat).

It was an age of innocence, where the repeated use of the word "queer" would presumably not even have raised an eye-brow! (It's "gay" in some other archive films I've watched, though!).

Almost certainly the latter, like some of the other anomalies there, I think, (e.g. "screw" which I don't think I have ever used for a propeller on a canal boat).

It was an age of innocence, where the repeated use of the word "queer" would presumably not even have raised an eye-brow! (It's "gay" in some other archive films I've watched, though!).

Yes, I noticed those as well. Surely on the canals, "screw" is used only for what certain boatbuilders have done to their customers, and as for "queer" - ee, there were no place for that sort on t'Grand Union, lad.

I'm not volunteering by the way, but couldn.t a modern day promo film be commissioned by a consortium to 'get' the canals over to all users and non-users?

Just a thought.

I think these films are terrific even with the dodgy commentary, but it does add to the occasion.

Martyn

Edited by Nightwatch1

You don't want to go in ruffers in that. Not much 'boat' above the waterline near the doors.

There's not many around are there? Didn't see him getting the thing out again either.

I did wonder why he had waders on at the beginning.

Smashing film once again. I'm hooked.

Martyn

I'm not volunteering by the way, but couldn.t a modern day promo film be commissioned by a consortium to 'get' the canals over to all users and non-users?

Just a thought.

There was one the other year - I can't find it on Youtube but I believe our own dearly missed Eugene had a hand in it. No idea where it was intended to be shown.

Many thank for posting the link, wirren. I'm sure I will be spending many happy hours browsing this site. :lol:

My favourite to date is Electric Canals 1931!! Just imagine what Fradley Junction would be like on a bank holiday if this form of propulsion had taken off! :lol:

Stewey