Polishing Brass

mayalld

So, just what is your attitude to polishing brassware  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Do any of the following describe your attitude?

• Polish daily for a gleaming finish
    • Polish regularly, just look at the shine
    • Lacquer - pretty shiny, and never needs doing again
    • Polish from time to time
    • Hey, tarnished brass is the look we are going for
    • Chrome, you know it makes sense
    • Paint the buggers!
    • Paint them red with white spots like a cartoon mushroom
    • Plastic
    • Mayall, you fool, you missed off an obvious answer

Featured Posts

OK, so we've done the shiny boat/non-shiny boat before.

But that is about keeping paintwork in good condition, isn't it.

Brass isn't in the same league, so what do you do?

Fool you missed the :

Only polished for holidays and gatherings option

:lol:

Fool you missed the :

Only polished for holidays and gatherings option

Yup.

You also missed off "Polished occasionally when I can really be bothered and one day I'm going to get the darned things lacquered"

As I've said before on this subject, I go down the Taoist route. I accept that the true color of brass is a dirty brown and I do not fight against its inner nature. It is also pandering to my own inner nature not to make me get on the roof with a pad of duraglit, so everyone's happy. I am the uncarved block.

As someone remarked to me this summer, as someone sat polishing their brass instead of helping the oncoiming boat through the lock - there are two types of boaters, the real boaters and the Polishers.

Since then "Polisher" is my favourite term of abuse!

As someone remarked to me this summer, as someone sat polishing their brass instead of helping the oncoiming boat through the lock - there are two types of boaters, the real boaters and the Polishers.

Since then "Polisher" is my favourite term of abuse!

When people comment on how dirty my 2 year old motorcycle is my reply is always i,m a rider not a polisher :lol: Edited by soldthehouse

INCRALAC!!!! I swear by the stuff. I spent ten whole days polishing brass, after a repaint. I tried using Vaseline on it to help stop it tarnishing, I even went out & bought some Jade oil which somebody told me worked. It was all no use. Then I discovered Incralac. Its wonderful stuff. I haven't had to touch my brass for the past eight years now & its still shiny. Ok, so it has now picked up a few odd scratches here & there, but I only have to drop the items in a container of cellulose thinners, re-polish & then give them a fresh coat of Incralac. Should see me through another eight years or so. Incralac is available in an aerosol or brush on & dries in ten minutes. Its made by Rylards & should be available in your local boat chandlers.

It sounds like I've got shares in the company, but no, I just think praise where praise is due.

Thank you Rylards.

INCRALAC!!!! I swear by the stuff. I spent ten whole days polishing brass, after a repaint. I tried using Vaseline on it to help stop it tarnishing, I even went out & bought some Jade oil which somebody told me worked. It was all no use. Then I discovered Incralac. Its wonderful stuff. I haven't had to touch my brass for the past eight years now & its still shiny. Ok, so it has now picked up a few odd scratches here & there, but I only have to drop the items in a container of cellulose thinners, re-polish & then give them a fresh coat of Incralac. Should see me through another eight years or so. Incralac is available in an aerosol or brush on & dries in ten minutes. Its made by Rylards & should be available in your local boat chandlers.

It sounds like I've got shares in the company, but no, I just think praise where praise is due.

Thank you Rylards.

Second that, coated the mushroom vents with Incralac four years ago and not touched them since - they are still gleaming.

Andy