Occasional heater

Robin2

Featured Posts

Does anyone have any suggestions for an occasional heater equivalent to an electric fire or fan heater. I would like to have something to warm the boat in the autumn evenings or mornings on days when it is not cold enough to light the morso stove - which takes at least an hour to generate any useful heat.

Running an electric heater off batteries, or even from the engine alternator via the inverter seems expensive. And I am told that catalytic gas heaters do not comply with the BSS,

This may have been covered on an earlier thread but I have not been able to find anything about it.

I had the same issue, wood stoves take far to long to warm up, so i got a diesel warm air blower from ebay.

Type in "eberspacher d2". Im really happy with it.

Blows out 3k of hot air, which is the same as a big fan hearter out a 5inch hole and if you use the ducting you can run it anywere.

Kristian

These don't comply with the BSS either as the gas cylinders have to be kept in a gas locker.

Sue

If the gas canisters are stored in the gas locker, when not in use, then it is perfectly okay to use them:

Clicky

They're rubbish, though!

We had one, for the camper van and it wouldn't even heat that small area.

If the gas canisters are stored in the gas locker, when not in use, then it is perfectly okay to use them:

Clicky

I wonder what the attitude is if it's a heater, rather than a stove, so it's on for long periods, (though I suspect not very long, and very expensively!).

Do those small portable ones have a flame failure device, and must they. I'd be nervous of them if there wasn't one.

Do those small portable ones have a flame failure device, and must they. I'd be nervous of them if there wasn't one.

Mine did have a FFD but. if it was the same build quality as the rest of the kit, I wouldn't trust it.

Presumably, if heat is required for long periods of time, you would light the burner?

We've got a Coleman Blackcat, now.

Quality build, catalytic heater (supposedly loads safer) and prettier, too.

I still wouldn't have it on the boat, though.

I lit our stove tonight, a bit cool here tonight for my aged bones.

The stove was lit and putting out good heat in less than 15 minutes – sticks and coal. Can’t think of anything better than that ????

b.t.w. Have just thrown on a little bit more coal and I know for certain that I will wake up to a nice warm boat in the morning – and, possibly/probably, a hangover (curtsey of Tesco’s red).

Clicky

They're rubbish, though!

We had one, for the camper van and it wouldn't even heat that small area.

this was what i posted,the fire not the cooker that you posted carlt.

http://www.outdoorworld.co.uk/gas-cartridg...3a0b6c2ac494720

this was what i posted,the fire not the cooker that you posted carlt.

http://www.outdoorworld.co.uk/gas-cartridg...3a0b6c2ac494720

The BSS statement I posted refers to all portable gas appliances, so is relevant.

My post was referring to the heater, not the cooker (the cookers are equally rubbish, though)..

The cookers don't have an FFD, btw, but, then again, I don't think any of my large collection of portable cookers has.

Edited by carlt

The BSS statement I posted refers to all portable gas appliances, so is relevant.

My post was referring to the heater, not the cooker (the cookers are equally rubbish, though)..

The cookers don't have an FFD, btw, but, then again, I don't think any of my large collection of portable cookers has.

fair point about the bss statement its just that the link you posted was of the cooker not the heater thats all just thought the original poster may have got confused.

Oi, Mr Carl! :lol:

The cookers work well enough - we survive on one continuously at the moment, as I've still not got my finger out and fixed the Aga-thingy.

CreamCheese can even do a respectable impression of a roast dinner, using a combination of the little gas ring and the microwave...

PC

Kristian

Two problems with an Eberspacher. First, they cost a lot more than an electric fan heater. Second, I had an Eberspacher D5L on my previous boat as the sole means of heating. The fan motor wore out twice. As it cost €600 to replace when the second one failed I replaced the whole heater with a Wallas - at least the parts are cheaper. All that was wrong with the Eberspacher fan was that the carbon brushes were worn out. But because they had stupidly designed the system with the brushes at the inaccessible end of the unit it was impossible to replace them. I got no sympathy from Eberspacher either in the UK or Germany.

My solid fuel stove is too hot for autumn even with a small fire. When I'm at my mooring on shore power I use a 2.5 kw electric oil filled radiator which has temp settings and a thermostat (also good for stopping pipes freezing if I'm away in winter - I leave it on 5 deg C). When I'm not on shore power I've got an upright parrafin heater which came from B&Q for £70.

As far as I can tell it's got all the safety features (cut out for lack of adequate air supply and cut out if it gets tipped beyond a certain angle), as the much more expensive Zibro Kamin parrafin heaters.

It puts out 2.8 kw and it smells only when you first light it and when you switch it off.

Edited by blackrose

My solid fuel stove is too hot for autumn even with a small fire. When I'm at my mooring on shore power I use a 2.5 kw electric oil filled radiator which has temp settings and a thermostat (also good for stopping pipes freezing if I'm away in winter - I leave it on 5 deg C). When I'm not on shore power I've got an upright parrafin heater which came from B&Q for £70.

As far as I can tell it's got all the safety features (cut out for lack of adequate air supply and cut out if it gets tipped beyond a certain angle), as the much more expensive Zibro Kamin parrafin heaters.

It puts out 2.8 kw and it smells only when you first light it and when you switch it off.

Don't you get a lot of condensation from it?

• 1 month later...
Does anyone have any suggestions for an occasional heater equivalent to an electric fire or fan heater. I would like to have something to warm the boat in the autumn evenings or mornings on days when it is not cold enough to light the morso stove - which takes at least an hour to generate any useful heat.

Running an electric heater off batteries, or even from the engine alternator via the inverter seems expensive. And I am told that catalytic gas heaters do not comply with the BSS,

This may have been covered on an earlier thread but I have not been able to find anything about it.

Hi,

Take a look at this 12v heater.

http://www.mailspeedmarine.com/cabin-heate...ter308597.bhtml

Hi,

I would have thought any gas or liquid fuel heater alight in the cabin without a chimney to the outside world, would result in terrible humidity problems, as LM says.

I suppose you could also put a de-humidifier on though - I actually like these, if quietness is not also too much of a requirement - the 300 or 400 watts they consume all ends up as heat and as a bonus it reduces the humidity as well, which seems to make you feel warmer too - maybe the portable gas/diesel stove and electric de-humidifier is a reasonable compromise, but only if you have shore power as even 300 watts is going to cane the batteries pretty quickly.

Nick

Hi,

these 12v heaters are as much use as a poke in the eye!!

i had one to demist an aged vauxhall astra. i had disconnected the heater as it leaked. all the 12v heater did was demist a postcard size area of the windscreen. waste of electric and plastic in my opinion!!

Edited by gazza

these 12v heaters are as much use as a poke in the eye!!

i had one to demist an aged vauxhall astra. i had disconnected the heater as it leaked. all the 12v heater did was demist a postcard size area of the windscreen. waste of electric and plastic in my opinion!!

Yes ! - You would really need at least 500 watts and nearer 1000 watts to make much of an impact, even in a small room. The cables would be very thick - all the way to / from the batteries and it would knacker them in a very short time, so a non starter from that point of view....

Nick

Trying to heat your boat from the domestic battery bank is nonsense!

If you don't have shore power then your best bet for an occasional heater that will put out about 2.5kw, is.a paraffin heater

I got one from B&Q that has all the safety features of the equivakent Zibro Kamin (Phillip Morris) heater but only cost £70. I'm not sure if B&Q are still selling them.

Some of the models shown on the Phillip Morris website are high tech lazer combustion paraffin heaters, but they're very expensive and I think you need to plug them into the mains, so you're better off with a more basic model.

Mine looks just like this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d.html/279-7...WIHW&sr=8-4

It has anti-tilt cut out and will also cut out if it detects that combustion air is limited. It smells a bit when you first start it up and when you switch it off, but other than that it's fume-free

Edit: Here's one on ebay: http://wap.ebay.co.uk/Pages/ViewItem.aspx?...253&emvcc=0

Edited by blackrose