Boat Names

mayalld

Featured Posts

We all of us name our boats for a reason (even if that reason is "it was called that when we bought it, and we don't want to repaint it"), but some of the names out there are plain silly, and some are what the owner thought was a really clever idea that he had (oh, what do you mean somebody else had the same idea before).

So, what boat names out there make you cringe?

I'll start us off with;

R SWIPE - no, it isn't clever, just gratuitously offensive and crude.

I hesitate to contribute to this because someone on the forum has the boat, but one expression that always irritates me is "whatever!", usually spoken by a sulky teenager to demonstrate lack of interest in what you have just said. Surely when it comes to naming your pride and joy you can come up with something more enthusiastic.

If Wotever's Wotever is the Wotever I shared a basin with at Bugsworth earlier this month it is a very nice boat and they were very nice people :lol:.

We all of us name our boats for a reason (even if that reason is "it was called that when we bought it, and we don't want to repaint it"), but some of the names out there are plain silly, and some are what the owner thought was a really clever idea that he had (oh, what do you mean somebody else had the same idea before).

So, what boat names out there make you cringe?

I'll start us off with;

R SWIPE - no, it isn't clever, just gratuitously offensive and crude.

Honestly, Mr D, you're so negative sometimes. Why don't you ever start a thread about something nice and uplifting you've witnessed?

Hello trees, hello sky, tra-la-la-la. I saw a VERY shiny car yesterday and it made me smile.

Honestly, Mr D, you're so negative sometimes. Why don't you ever start a thread about something nice and uplifting you've witnessed?

Hello trees, hello sky, tra-la-la-la. I saw a VERY shiny car yesterday and it made me smile.

TIHSO.

me too! :lol:

Please don't say it was red :lol:

Any name that’s spelt backwards, like Emohruo. I can’t believe 21 people (according Jim Shead’s list) find Llamedos clever and original.

Oh, THATS what Emohruo means, I never worked that one out :lol:

I saw a boat on the Thames called 'Up Yaws' - that's just offensive and I'm quite surprised the EA didn't disallow it.

I do quite like 'Cirrhosis of the River' though, something appropriate about it.

Any name that’s spelt backwards, like Emohruo.

Ah - that's why it has that odd name, then!

I must admit each time I see a boat with a wierd name, I don't play it backwards to see if it spells something, so didn't get the "joke".

Although LLamedos is, as you say, so unbelievably popular, (and naff!).

I have a personal dislike of anything in in the "Dunwerkin" mould. Do lapsed live-aboards call their retirement house "Duncrusin" ?

I do quite like 'Cirrhosis of the River' though, something appropriate about it.

It's better than that:

Sir Hosis of the River is the one I've seen.

Or , on the Macc Canal for many years:

Ferric the Red (painted red)

Years ago there was one ..... "Kinelle" belonged to a lady who regularly protested at Greenham Common Air Base, she might still be there for all I know.

Bill

"Pheonix"

If you are dyslexic, you should at least get a friend to check your spelling before painting the name on the boat! There are at least five boats with this misspelling.

"Right Choice" or "Just Right"- both with a for sale sign in the window :lol:

"Dave's Knob" ??? :lol:

I could not believe my eyes when I saw a boat called WET DREAMS, it was some time ago now and I can't remember where it was, the couple onboard were of over retirement age and I just wondered if they knew of the alternative meaning of the name ??????????

There is a boat I see around London sometimes that is a cringe turned good. It always makes me laugh when I see it now. The boat was originally called 'Wet Dream' and one day I saw a sign-writer adding a small 's' and a little 'e' so it read Sweet Dream while the lovely grey haired couple who now obviously own it supped tea from their picnic chairs on the towpath.