Renaming

Gibbo

Featured Posts

You wait until that Churchward gets here...

Richard

Arf! I know I might be expected to like GWR exlusively but I just like all UK steam but with a preference to all things GW. Yer can't expect much else I was born in Swindon to a family of railway engineers. I've got GWR stamped on me bum.

I do also have a preference for the more lowly loco too, small tanks of any kind get my interest.

Arf! I know I might be expected to like GWR exlusively but I just like all UK steam but with a preference to all things GW. Yer can't expect much else I was born in Swindon to a family of railway engineers. I've got GWR stamped on me bum.

I do also have a preference for the more lowly loco too, small tanks of any kind get my interest.

This partisanship about railway companies is a strange thing. IIRC Churchward's signature is in the Crewe Visitors book.

Richard

Someone I know could not agree with his wife between two names . The signwriter came and they still had not agreed. We will leave it up to you to decide they told the signwriter and left him to it. The name he put on the boat which it is still called to-day IN- DISPUTE :lol:

This partisanship about railway companies is a strange thing. IIRC Churchward's signature is in the Crewe Visitors book.

Richard

Actually the point I was making was that I am not that partisan I just have a preference, of course some do get very passionate ( you should have heard my Grandfather on the subject) about things one way or another either in what they like or don't like.

Most of the CMOs and engineers of the day knew each other and several were friends. That was true among the UK people and many had links and friendships abroad. Churchward was influenced by some US engineers and visa versa for instance.

Back on topic and for no reason other than thinking about railways reminded me. How about "Galloping Gertie" Bit long I suppose but could be suited to a dot and carry one kind of engine beat.

Picture of Gertie

45496466.th.jpg

A replica is intended to be built in original form. http://www.swindon-cricklade-railway.org/future.php

Edited by churchward

Someone I know could not agree with his wife between two names . The signwriter came and they still had not agreed. We will leave it up to you to decide they told the signwriter and left him to it. The name he put on the boat which it is still called to-day IN- DISPUTE :lol:

For me an electric boat would have to be "SHOCKING IGNORANCE"

Wattson

Henry - (as in the measurement of impedence)

Alex

Impedance is measured in ohms. It's inductance that you mean.

N

If I were to get some money up and purchase a boat, mine would have to be named "Beautiful Loser"

Named after the song by Bob Seger. The first lines of the song match how I feel about the narrowboating culture to a tee.

"He wants to dream like a young man

With the wisdom of an old man.

He wants his home and security,

He wants to live like a sailor at sea.

Beautiful loser, where you goona fall?

When You realize you just cant have it all."

I am also basicly a GWR man, and having been born overlooking Old Oak Common sheds, it is in my lungs, if not on me bum.

Like you I like all old steam locomotives, particularly the LNER A4's, but my overall favourite is the GWR City of Truro (which would be quite good name for a boat). I have actually been on the footplate of her, when she was still in service, and I was a small boy and the friend of the Station Master's son.

When I joined the RN in 1969 there was a class of Frigate called the Leander Class. My first ship was one of this class and I have thought of calling a boat after the name. This class was named after Greek Gods and the one I was on was Euryalus, good name I thought until I researched the name and found that Euryalus was a Gay God. Not so sure now. Well not many people would have known, would they?

We are pretty sure that EURYALUS might well of been made in barrow in furness.

Most of the streets on walney island are named after ships built at vickers.

Nige :lol: (MARRIED) :lol:

My wife and I just could not agree on a name for our new boat everytime one or the other were asked 'I don't know' was the rather predictable reply So in the end that's what it was - 'Idunhoe'

I've seen another version of that on the T&M, spelt 'Idanho'. Very subtle for a jokey name.

My favourite name is still 'Idris' - the name of the dragon who lived in Ivor the Engine's chimney.

In terms of electrical names, how about 'Pelletron'?

Impedance is measured in ohms. It's inductance that you mean.

N

Aha!

'Movin' Ohm' ?