Renaming

Gibbo

Featured Posts

Note from this months railway press that the Old Oak turntable is about to be ripped out and perhaps relocated to York as part of their expansion/redevelopment. End of an era.

Sadly, the railway era that I associate with ended in 1968 - certainly it hasn't been the same since . . .

I reckon that sentiment could lead to a name or three: 'Electra', 'Ariadne', 'Aurora', 'Diana', 'Juno', 'Minerva' and 'Pandora'

I recently discovered that my forebears were Flemish weavers and I decided that I would like that name for my boat if I were to change it. I was disappointed to see that Jim Shead already has a Flemish Weaver listed.

Most flemish weavers were Huguenots if that helps.

Euryalus was built in Greenock Glasgow, commisioned in 1964.

In 1974 I joined HMS Sheffield that was being completed in Barrow, indeed quite a few Grey Funnel line ships were built in Barrow including big submarines.

I worked on Sheffield in Barrow, I can remember there was an explosion on her during a night shift resulting in a section of the back end being replaced.

Then at the commissioning party at a local hotel the custom I beleive was for the officers to stack their hats one on top of the other berfore dinner.

These then fell over.

So all in all she was probably laden with bad luck from the start.

Thanks, yes I believe so, and they settled in Wiltshire. I guess they moved to Manchester because where there's muck there's brass. :lol: Sorry.

How about Das Wassermeister in big letters on the bow. People would get out of the way!

or Admiral Benbow

Hispaniola

Swallow

Amazon

just to get back on topic.

:lol: The Flemish weavers came from Holland, and whilst many of them were Protestant refugees, and are often associated with the Huguenots, they were not Huguenots who were Protestant refugees from France.

Thanks, yes I believe so, and they settled in Wiltshire. I guess they moved to Manchester because where there's muck there's brass. :lol: Sorry.

Whilst your ancestors may well have settled in Wiltshire, the popular belief that vast numbers of Flemish weavers settled in Wiltshire is untrue, the records show that a total of 34 settled in Wiltshire between 1657 and 1674. Trowbridge, Corsham and Bradford on Avon being then principal towns where they worked.

Sorry I know this is :lol:

Edited by David Schweizer

I worked on Sheffield in Barrow, I can remember there was an explosion on her during a night shift resulting in a section of the back end being replaced.

Then at the commissioning party at a local hotel the custom I beleive was for the officers to stack their hats one on top of the other berfore dinner.

These then fell over.

So all in all she was probably laden with bad luck from the start.

Yes I think you are right. I remember that she was late being commisioned(1975instead of 1974). We as crew didn't hear of the "SET BACK". I spent ten weeks in Barrow biding my time waiting to get onboard.

She's along way away now sadly.

Once commisioned we were being shadowed by a Russian Naval ship and we deployed the white ensign from the stern staff and this broke when we showed off our turn of speed with the two Olympus Gas Turbines and the white ensign "dangled" into the sea.

Might have been a sign, who knows.

Martyn

edited to add.

Edited by Nightwatch1

Sadly, the railway era that I associate with ended in 1968 - certainly it hasn't been the same since . . .

It's all horses for courses. I'm barely old enough to remember steam on the Western Region so the diesel hydraulics became 'my thing'. Kids that came after me wax lyrical about the class 50s. I had an extreme dislike of these interlopers that started to displaced the Westerns.

Nostalgia is a rolling thing. I believe there is even a society out there accumilating funds with the eventual aim of preserving an HST set, come the day they are withdrawn from service.

It's all horses for courses. I'm barely old enough to remember steam on the Western Region so the diesel hydraulics became 'my thing'. Kids that came after me wax lyrical about the class 50s. I had an extreme dislike of these interlopers that started to displaced the Westerns.

Nostalgia is a rolling thing. I believe there is even a society out there accumilating funds with the eventual aim of preserving an HST set, come the day they are withdrawn from service.

Standing close to the edge of the platform on Reading Station on a cold winter's evening,waiting for the London train.

Castle Class express glides past a couple of feet away amidst a cloud of hissing steam, oily smoky smells, screeching brakes and clanking machinery.

Brilliant.

Probably only experienced it 5 times, but I can still hear and smell it like it was yesterday.

Standing close to the edge of the platform on Reading Station on a cold winter's evening,waiting for the London train.

Castle Class express glides past a couple of feet away amidst a cloud of hissing steam, oily smoky smells, screeching brakes and clanking machinery.

Brilliant.

Probably only experienced it 5 times, but I can still hear and smell it like it was yesterday.

We used to rush down after school to Northolt Junction, where my friend David's Father was Station Master, to catch the 4pm London to Birmingham which came through about 4.15pm (those were the days when school finished at 4pm).

By then it had been on the long straight stretch for about 5 miles and was reaching a speed approaching 90mph. It was always headed by two Castles or a King, a magnificent sight. The regular drivers had got so used to seeing us on the platform that we usually got a blast on the whistle and a wave as they went by.

We used to rush down after school to Northolt Junction, where my friend David's Father was Station Master, to catch the 4pm London to Birmingham which came through about 4.15pm (those were the days when school finished at 4pm).

By then it had been on the long straight stretch for about 5 miles and was reaching a speed approaching 90mph. It was always headed by two Castles or a King, a magnificent sight. The regular drivers had got so used to seeing us on the platform that we usually got a blast on the whistle and a wave as they went by.

how did you catch the train at 90mph? Were you bundled into one of those Royal Mail net catcher things? :lol:

how did you catch the train at 90mph? Were you bundled into one of those Royal Mail net catcher things? :lol:

Oh very good :lol: I think you know what I meant, anway the mail catcher was at West Ruislip Station and the mail train did not come through until about 1am.