Fad names

------------------

Currently aware

Current affairs.

State of charge.

Specific Gravity.

I rather like this.

Gravitas.

Gravitas (from Latin) is a quality of substance or depth of personality.

Gravitas (specifically dignity, seriousness, and duty) is one of the several virtues that ancient Roman society expected men to possess, along with pietas, dignitas, and iustitia.

"Gravitas" should not be confused with "gravity" in the sense of importance, although they have a common etymology, coming from the Latin for weightiness.

Gravitas include: - Discipline - Strength - Loyalty - Power [Army] - Usefulness - Steadiness

After losing two ships in less than half an hour, Vice-Admiral Beatty is reported to have said "there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today," - in fact the problem was a lack of effective fire prevention traps in the ammunition supply to the main guns. Nevertheless, even though the Royal Navy suffered massive disproportionate losses, the Battle of Jutland effectively ended the war for Germany's surface fleet.

Indeed. It seems the Navy at the time were more concerned over how much polish was used and after 100 years of not really being challenged the admirals expected to "Trafalgar" the German Navy but poor strategy and ability to change tactics as the battle unfolded (Jelicoe was no Nelson and mainly the Captains no "band of brothers") could have snatched defeat from what should have been a straight forward victory. Beatty was a young (for an Admiral)daredevil but Jelicoe a stodgy fool.

Still, I guess this is off topic though.

When I joined the RN in 1969 there was a class of Frigate called the Leander Class. My first ship was one of this class and I have thought of calling a boat after the name. This class was named after Greek Gods and the one I was on was Euryalus, good name I thought until I researched the name and found that Euryalus was a Gay God. Not so sure now. Well not many people would have known, would they?

My wife and I just could not agree on a name for our new boat everytime one or the other were asked 'I don't know' was the rather predictable reply So in the end that's what it was - 'Idunhoe'

When I joined the RN in 1969 there was a class of Frigate called the Leander Class. My first ship was one of this class and I have thought of calling a boat after the name. This class was named after Greek Gods and the one I was on was Euryalus, good name I thought until I researched the name and found that Euryalus was a Gay God. Not so sure now. Well not many people would have known, would they?

"Well! Hello sailor!" as Dick emery would have said . . .

My wife and I just could not agree on a name for our new boat everytime one or the other were asked 'I don't know' was the rather predictable reply So in the end that's what it was - 'Idunhoe'

Cal was originally called "I Dunno" for a couple of months then they changed it to "Naughty Cal"

I wonder why :lol:

Is that the same Idunhoe that has been featured on Waterways World? :lol:

Or as Napoleon said on boarding the boat to exile ," to the water it is the hour" , or" A l'eau c'est l'heure ! "

On the Continent boating families often work two boats which are made into one unit with one pushing the other where locks are long enough for that, or separated out where there are short locks. Many pairings have odd names, often in English. "Elvis" and "Graceland", "Gymkhana" and "Gymtonic" come immediately to mind. VHF is used as a matter of course, and some names give us pause when we have to call them - "My Love", for instance, or "Hello" ("Hello "Hello"" does frankly sound absurd on the radio). I have always managed to avoid calling the ship named "Arcole" (really!). We used to regularly meet "Sea Bird", but it took a while to recognise who was being called when we heard on the VHF "Zay Bare, Zay Bare"

Being an ex ocean idiot I'm superstitious so although I've wanted to rename Lionheart for a while I wouldn't do it until she was properly out of the water. Full repaint this month, out for 3 weeks. But what to call her?

I thought of clever stuff like "Smart R R R's" (think of my company) and so far that's my favourite but I'm sure you lot can come up with something better.

A free "gadget" to whoever wins.

Gibbo

Edit: Someone has just PM'd me saying "What if I already have a 'gadget'?" which is a fair question so just make the suggestion anyway and don't tell me you've got one. If you win, tell me then, I'll send you your money back. Can't say fairer than that can I?

Wattson

Henry - (as in the measurement of impedence)

Alex