The pricing of boats another £150k hopefull NB Stafford

charles123

Featured Posts

I do wonder where how brokers or owners come up with these unrealistic prices. In my opinion this boat is worth between £60k and £75k. Time will prove the broker or me right on that. I cant see it appealing to the purists who would not want a bus windowed boat. Its also needs finishing particularly the back cabin and engine room. Nice external paint work though

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=105864

I do wonder where how brokers or owners come up with these unrealistic prices. In my opinion this boat is worth between £60k and £75k. Time will prove the broker or me right on that. I cant see it appealing to the purists who would not want a bus windowed boat. Its also needs finishing particularly the back cabin and engine room. Nice external paint work though

But Charles, it's a Josher! A real Josher! It's easily worth two first-borns and a bacon hog PLUS the asking price!

I'm in no way qualified to put a market valuation on this, but suspect if it were marketed in the £60K to £75K range there would be a large queue forming!

If I could afford it, (and I certainly can't), proper windows would be a selling point to me - each to their own, but I still much prefer to port holes.

I'll get savaged for the next bit, but if it had a "proper" narrow boat engine in it, I'd personally like it rather better.

(Runs for cover!.....)

I'm in no way qualified to put a market valuation on this, but suspect if it were marketed in the £60K to £75K range there would be a large queue forming!

If I could afford it, (and I certainly can't), proper windows would be a selling point to me - each to their own, but I still much prefer to port holes.

I'll get savaged for the next bit, but if it had a "proper" narrow boat engine in it, I'd personally like it rather better.

(Runs for cover!.....)

Could it be another Dover?

(Runs for cover!.....)

oooh yer a hard man! I wouldn't be concerned about the Gardner myself I like 'em. My uncle used to use a 3LW as a generator engine on his farm so have a soft spot for the beasties. Not so sold on the window layout. I would prefer all portholes on such a boat I suppose but at least not organised as they are with the picture windows in between portholes. I think if you are going to have a mixture you are better off with larger windows at the front then portholes at the rear. The back cabin is crying out to have a traditional paint finish (which at £150K you might expect it to already have) but the woodwork does look well done at least

Still, somewhat an academic subject for me as the price is at the very very outside £100K too much for my pocket. I think your right though at £60K plus you would have a queue forming.

Edited by churchward

Recent history here

clicky

This boat doesnt in my opinion command the price. the restoration is flawed, the styling of the fore end cants looks like a Tyler boat! Theres not much original boat left there in reality. The combination of rectangular and round alloy windows rather enhances the image to be that of an early 1970's conversion. I cannot understand why "rebuild" an historic craft in such a way, very odd route to go. definatly another "Dover".

I do wonder where how brokers or owners come up with these unrealistic prices. In my opinion this boat is worth between £60k and £75k.

The price has not been "come up with" by either an owner or a broker. It has been come up with by the renovator who is also a professional boat builder. Ring them and ask them how they have arrived at the price. 01827 898585. Let us know what they have to say.

Is this the one they shipped to Poland, for the resto?

An historic boat, restored (not too sympathetically, in my opinion, but that is just my opinion) to as new, with a new, quality fit out, should command the same sort of price as a top quality new hull, with quality fit out, again, in my opinion.

That would put the price about right, wouldn't it?

Is this the one they shipped to Poland, for the resto?

An historic boat, restored (not too sympathetically, in my opinion, but that is just my opinion) to as new, with a new, quality fit out, should command the same sort of price as a top quality new hull, with quality fit out, again, in my opinion.

That would put the price about right, wouldn't it?

Hmmm I think that is a very good way of putting it in to perspective. I guess you could compare it to say something like the Ian Kemp boat "Gazelle" and it's price.

http://www.narrowboatsearch.co.uk/master_framset_cost.asp

............the restoration is flawed, the styling of the fore end cants looks like a Tyler boat! .............

I thought the fore end was as per the original shape. What is different about it?

Edited by churchward

And that proper engine would be....................? :lol:

Just my personal preference, nothing more....

Ideally something that might have been found in a working boat during it's working life, even if not something authentic to this Josher. I know there were a few 3 cylinder engines in narrow boats, but it's not something I have any memory of from watching working boats in my youth, when virtually everything was two cylinder. So I always prefer "maximum of 2 cylinders" personally.

I'm sure the 3LW is a spankingly nice engine, and is not as ridiculously overpowered as many that people insist on fitting, but were ANY ever fitted to narrowboats ? If so, then very few, I'm sure.

By the way,

If this is an authentic working boat, why do the marketing shots show it trailing plastic side fenders alongside it. :lol:

I'd class myself as an "enthusiast" in old working boats and the like and I do admit that I have followed the restoration over in Poland quite closely from the joshers.info website.

There will be a lot of people stating their views and opinions for it and nearly all of the boats out there for sale at the moment. I do have my own opinions too which I won't state but I do have to say that it isn't the boat for me.

I hope Narrowcraft the best of luck in selling Stafford and I hope the new owner is pleased with their purchase and enjoys it as much as I would if I could find my perfect boat :lol:

Edited by Liam
Spelling!

I may get put against a wall and stoned ... but I don't like it.

Purely from the advert it looks sterile and lacking a bit of character.

(Puts on body armour and awaits incoming!)

I doubt it. If you have read the other posts then you will know that there are not many singing its praises.

800px-Rolls-Royce_Merlin.jpg

Make mine a Merlin, please!

Have seen a car recently with that engine in it.

Its a replica Bentley Blue Train car. Huge thing. They wouldnt fire it up though. It came to the garage in a lorry and left in the lorry.

You'd have worse fuel consumption than Phylis with that thing in.

Might be the first narrowboat anyone has ever got to plane mind you...

Fuel consumption isnt everything. Its the fun you have that counts.

Mind you im doing my bit for global warming :lol:

...but you'd have thought they'd have done something about the paint job, especially if they expect anything like that kind of money.

Like what?

I can see nothing in the photos that implies the quality of the paintwork is suspect so that just leaves the colour scheme. The boat appears to me to be painted in the corporate livery of its owner, Malcolm Burge. It is not to your taste perhaps, but if you were to offer them the asking price I would think you could probably negotiate a repaint in the colours of your choice in the price. Doubtless, it would then not be to my taste, but then it would not be my boat. :lol:

Edited by Hairy-Neil