The pricing of boats another £150k hopefull NB Stafford

charles123

Featured Posts

Problem selling it is likely to be that it's a ready-made boat at a bespoke price, the market is immediately limited as boats are so personal and people willing to pay that sort of money are likely to want some personal input. In that sense, it's already second-hand.

Tim

Like what?

I can see nothing in the photos that implies the quality of the paintwork is suspect so that just leaves the colour scheme. The boat appears to me to be painted in the corporate livery of its owner, Malcolm Burge. It is not to your taste perhaps, but if you were to offer them the asking price I would think you could probably negotiate a repaint in the colours of your choice in the price. Doubtless, it would then not be to my taste, but then it would not be my boat. :lol:

I believe spec savers are still doing 2 for 1. :lol:

Its nothing to do with taste, your lack of it, or the colour scheme, the boat appears to me to have several scrapes, rust marks and an almost matt paint finish, it also looks like it needs blacking, in reality it may not be that bad in the flesh and if thats the case they need to do something about the way the broker has presented it.

The photo's are very poor and there are no internal shots at all, there is also no mechanical description or mention of equipment - the ad is letting the boat down.

If the sellers are prepared to repaint it then they should say so in the ad, its a changing market and their going to need all the help they can get to sell that.

Its nothing to do with taste, your lack of it, or the colour scheme, the boat appears to me to have several scrapes, rust marks and an almost matt paint finish, it also looks like it needs blacking, in reality it may not be that bad in the flesh and if thats the case they need to do something about the way the broker has presented it.

I believe you are referring to Gazelle and HN is referring to Stafford.

If I was to spend that sort of money, on a narrow boat, though, I would buy Gazelle (one of my favourite metal boats) and give it to Mr Speight for the spruce up she so richly deserves.

I'd then buy a full length, full height, full width fender sock, to protect her from you lot (and myself).

Which is why I would never want to own her.

£150k and the roof and sides are lined in plywood? That a sign of a brand new 50 grand boat.

Not a chance. For that money it would have to be solid wood right through.

Though the boatman's cabin does look partcularly nice. So nice I certainly wouldn't have it scumbled.

Gibbo

.... the boat appears to me to have several scrapes, rust marks and an almost matt paint finish, it also looks like it needs blacking.

Are talking about the same boat? The one I was looking at is 110 years old, not a brand new boat. I believe it's called patina of use.

and their going to need all the help they can get to sell that.

I can't see Bargeeboy loosing any sleep over it somehow, either way and doubtless, he would treat a [word removed] like you with the contempt you deserve.

Edited by Liam

Hmmm I think that is a very good way of putting it in to perspective. I guess you could compare it to say something like the Ian Kemp boat "Gazelle" and it's price.

http://www.narrowboatsearch.co.uk/master_framset_cost.asp

I thought the fore end was as per the original shape. What is different about it?

All FMC fore end cants are plain not with sculptured ends.

"I'm sure the 3LW is a spankingly nice engine, and is not as ridiculously overpowered as many that people insist on fitting, but were ANY ever fitted to narrowboats ? If so, then very few, I'm sure."

The LW range was principally designed for stationary and rail use according to Gardners literature, they can run vertical or horizontal (as fitted under DMU trains). However the LW2 was used by Mersey Weaver & SCCCo in some of their motors, "Eileen" being one, Barlows had some too post war. The 3 cylinder ones were rare, the odd BCN tug used them.

"I'm sure the 3LW is a spankingly nice engine, and is not as ridiculously overpowered as many that people insist on fitting, but were ANY ever fitted to narrowboats ? If so, then very few, I'm sure."

The LW range was principally designed for stationary and rail use according to Gardners literature, they can run vertical or horizontal (as fitted under DMU trains). However the LW2 was used by Mersey Weaver & SCCCo in some of their motors, "Eileen" being one, Barlows had some too post war. The 3 cylinder ones were rare, the odd BCN tug used them.

Thanks for the reply one lives and learns.

As I mentioned further up my uncle used a 3LW on a generator setup on his farm (1960s70s) so matches what you have said about it's original designed usage. It didn't get used much and would be dirty, covered in all sorts of stuff but it always could be coaxed into life when needed.

I do wonder where how brokers or owners come up with these unrealistic prices. In my opinion this boat is worth between £60k and £75k. Time will prove the broker or me right on that. I cant see it appealing to the purists who would not want a bus windowed boat. Its also needs finishing particularly the back cabin and engine room. Nice external paint work though

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=105864

Ineresting ly there is another £150k boat on Harral's brokerage site.

Nice replica Northwich.

Steelwork is by Steve Priest at Brinklow (one of the elite), nice Gardner engine but I've not heard of the fitter out (Gary Shephard) before.

Look under trads over £60k. It's called Theophilus.

That's pretty close to my perfect boat.

I wonder what it will eventually fetch............

Ineresting ly there is another £150k boat on Harral's brokerage site.

Nice replica Northwich.

Steelwork is by Steve Priest at Brinklow (one of the elite), nice Gardner engine but I've not heard of the fitter out (Gary Shephard) before.

Look under trads over £60k. It's called Theophilus.

That's pretty close to my perfect boat.

I wonder what it will eventually fetch............

Ummm errr table cupboard ? and the range has no flue !

Picky moi or what

Theophilus clicky

Chris

The scupltured ends are not visible (to me) in the linked pics.

Thanks for the reply one lives and learns.

As I mentioned further up my uncle used a 3LW on a generator setup on his farm (1960s70s) so matches what you have said about it's original designed usage. It didn't get used much and would be dirty, covered in all sorts of stuff but it always could be coaxed into life when needed.

The LW range was lighter weight development of the L2, which is the same bore & stroke but more of a 'proper' marine engine with crankcase doors etc. The LW was produced by Gardners in vehicle, stationary, rail traction and marine versions but as I understand it was first developed as a vehicle engine as a market was identified after people started converting petrol vehicles to diesel in the early 1930s using the much heavier L2 engine. The Kromhout engine seems to be a hybrid between the L2 and the LW, in effect LW blocks & heads on an L2-style crankcase (the L2 had individual heads one per cylinder, the LW grouped into twos and threes).

Interesting that either the pic in the link is reversed, or the engine is a mirror image of the standard Gardner layout. Also it has originally had a vacuum brake exhauster fitted, unusual for such a relatively small horsepower engine.

Tim

Problem selling it is likely to be that it's a ready-made boat at a bespoke price, the market is immediately limited as boats are so personal and people willing to pay that sort of money are likely to want some personal input. In that sense, it's already second-hand.

Tim

Very well put. Once you get above £90k you are in a rarefied market of people who are more likely to have a boat built from scratch, if only so that they feel they have something unique and special to them.

But it only takes one person with the right money to fall in love with a boat like that.

I believe spec savers are still doing 2 for 1. :lol:

The photo's are very poor and there are no internal shots at all, there is also no mechanical description or mention of equipment - the ad is letting the boat down.

If the sellers are prepared to repaint it then they should say so in the ad, its a changing market and their going to need all the help they can get to sell that.

Just to say that the seller, the boat fitter and the broker are, in this case, one and the same person. With many years' experience :lol: .

Just to say that the seller, the boat fitter and the broker are, in this case, one and the same person. With many years' experience :lol: .

Dominic you quote me but I haven't said anything whatsoever derogatory about the boat or the builder. Churchward clearly mentioned and linked "Gazelle" in post 13 and I then replied about that boat in post 14. Carl also quite rightly noticed this and pointed it out too. Go back and read it again yourself, it just couldn't be clearer what churchward or myself were writing about.

Hairy Neil then came out with a totally uncalled for and offensive remark, just because he never took the bother to read the thread properly.

Don't know about narrowboats but didn't one or two L&L shortboats have 2LW's with Gardner marine gearboxes ? Seem to recall an article in WW years ago about someone rebuilding one that came out of a shortboat .

That photo of Theophilus's back cabin must be reversed , the table cupboard and stove are both on the 'wrong' side surely .

Duncan

Ummm errr table cupboard ? and the range has no flue !

Picky moi or what

Theophilus clicky

Chris

If I can be picky too.... from your link.....

60ft Replica Little Northwich, accurate in every detail (including the genuine rivets in the aft cabin)

If it was accurate in every detail, surely it would have a fully riveted hull not just the back cabin, an elm bottom and be 71' 6" long.....

I like your thinking!

Better boat, by far, and you can have three of them, and £15k change:

Clicky

I like that - if iI had seen it when Jane and I were searching for a boat, I would have been well tempted and could have had just about enough to buy it together with a butty to match . . .

On the subject of boat prices in general, pricing is all about what the buyer is prepared to pay. Nothing is overpriced if it sells!

Don't know about narrowboats but didn't one or two L&L shortboats have 2LW's with Gardner marine gearboxes ? Seem to recall an article in WW years ago about someone rebuilding one that came out of a shortboat .

Duncan

Some certainly had 2L2 engines, not sure about 2LWs.

I had a call a couple of years ago from an American guy who was in Scandinavia sorting out a problem with a Gardner gearbox in a yacht there. Turns out (from another source) that the engine/gearbox had originally come from a L&L Short Boat, and the box had been troublesome then. I sorted him some parts out & didn't hear anything more, so hopefully he got it fixed.

Tim

And I suppose it's not offensive to suggest I need two pairs of glasses from a budget opticians? :lol:

No I don't think it offensive to suggest someone go to spec-savers, your clearly having trouble reading plain English so obviously you can't see properly.

You thought I was passing comment about the paint finish on Stafford and I wasn't doing any such thing. You were in the wrong by what you said, I know it,you know it and everybody else does too.

Now just forget it, it happens, we all misread things, don't make an issue out of it. :lol:

Dominic you quote me but I haven't said anything whatsoever derogatory about the boat or the builder. Churchward clearly mentioned and linked "Gazelle" in post 13 and I then replied about that boat in post 14.

Sorry - we were at cross purposes. I thought you were referring to the boat that this topic was supposed to be about. I didn't see Churchward's post as I am an atheist and he is on my block list with a name like that :lol: .

Sorry - we were at cross purposes. I thought you were referring to the boat that this topic was supposed to be about. I didn't see Churchward's post as I am an atheist and he is on my block list with a name like that :lol: .

Since Domninic won't see my post 1213_mooning.gif :lol::lol:

No I don't think it offensive to suggest someone go to spec-savers, your clearly having trouble reading plain English so obviously you can't see properly.

I reacted your personal insults, not to your comments on Stafford, Gazelle or whatever. Play nicely and I will too. :lol:

Yes, it was clear as Elsecar mud to me too....