Christmas dinner

billyb

Featured Posts

OK, I'm weird, I know, but for years I have much preferred to bite into crunchy raw ones than to eat them cooked, (however well done).

If I'm given the job of preparing them OH always puts out about twice the final requirement, because she knows I'll munch my way through a stack of uncooked ones.

Oh! A fellow weirdo! I much prefer them raw, served lightly chilled and in a bowl of iced water. Yummy!

I picked up this habit due to my late Mother being (sorry if you're reading this up there, Mum!) bloody awful at cooking veg and usually boiling it for waaaayyy to long (ok, this was also partly due to not knowing exactly what time Dad would get back from work) and I just couldn't eat it. Took me two years of living on my own and cooking on my own to realize that most veg is actually quite nice if they have not had to suffer the indignity of over cooking.

Teehee! My Dad can't get his head around the concept of NOT peeling spuds prior to mashing them, either.

Get your revenge here

Tim

Excellent! :lol:

Aaah - to cross or not to cross, that is the question.

Personally I think if you want your sprouts mushy then cross

If you like a little delicous firmness don't cross

Chris Evans held a major debate on this on his radio show last night. The vast majority of listeners said "do not cross".

Personally I love sprouts, crossed or uncrossed (if they're crossed they just need a bit less cooking-time).

But don't bother making sprout wine. It's truly awful!

You're strange.

Richard

Ah, but if you scrub them well and remove eyes and pits, then the skin in the mash gives it a lovely texture. If you want smooth mash, then mash and put through a sieve, add loads of butter and olive oil, then serve via an icing bag. That's just as lovely. My Dad's method is to peel (at least 1/3inch thick), boil till near distruction, drain and beat the spuds to death - his old National Service training. Tastes terrible to me.

They are misunderstood and just need looking after properly!

Remove the outer leaves which taste bitter.

Cut a cross though the base so that the dense part of the sprout cooks properly.

Place in the microwave in a pyrex or microwaveable dish with an inch of near boiling water in the bottom.

Cook on full power for 4 minutes.

Stir them up so that the same ones don't stay on the top or outside.

Cook on full power for a further 4 minutes.

Empty sprouts into bin

Eat pyrex dish

I love sprouts - raw or cooked, but best chilled from the fridge as leftovers the next day - or even better, late at night when you raid the fridge feeling peckish

That means you are both weird - you will be telling us next that you dip them in black chocolate and eat them while sipping a Creme-de-Menth. :lol:

I love to make home made chocolate truffles at Christmas, and for good measure dip a few cold cooked sprouts in melted chocolate and roll in cocoa powder. Mix in among the real truffles, near the bottom, and hand round. By the second or third choccy each, SOMEONE gets the cold chocolate sprout! It makes me laugh 'til I cry, every time!

Stickleback

The other silly trick I like is to carefully open a couple of walnuts (knife blade under ridged bit of shell and twist), remove nut, take condom out of wrapper, put in shell halves and glue halves together. Mix the doctored nuts with genuine nuts in bowl and wait..... faces can be a real picture!

I love to make home made chocolate truffles at Christmas, and for good measure dip a few cold cooked sprouts in melted chocolate and roll in cocoa powder. Mix in among the real truffles, near the bottom, and hand round. By the second or third choccy each, SOMEONE gets the cold chocolate sprout! It makes me laugh 'til I cry, every time!

Stickleback

I really shouldn't read this kind of stuff in the lunch hour at work! If any of the pupils see me now with my tear stained face I doubt they'll understand that I've been laughing 'til I cried.

Incidentally, our sons HATE sprouts.

Cheers

Cath

When I used to go line dancing (yes, honestly, I did!), we used to take chocolates to place on our table to nibble at. One of the other members was prone to nicking them, so we decided to teach him a lesson. In amongst our box of Maltesers, we placed several chocolate dipped silverskin onions.

We were inundated with requests to make more! They were delicious....

Janet