Christmas dinner

billyb

Featured Posts

Forget the rows over CC or CM, battery management, alternator configuration or gas system isolation ... those are but petty disagreements ... because there is no other right thinking view to be held other than that of ...

SPROUTS

ARE

EVIL!!!

[edit to enhance full horror]

Edited by Chris J W

They are misunderstood and just need looking after properly!

Remove the outer leaves which taste bitter.

Cut a cross though the base so that the dense part of the sprout cooks properly.

Place in the microwave in a pyrex or microwaveable dish with an inch of near boiling water in the bottom.

Cook on full power for 4 minutes.

Stir them up so that the same ones don't stay on the top or outside.

Cook on full power for a further 4 minutes.

Yum.

Cut a cross though the base so that the dense part of the sprout cooks properly.

Place in the microwave in a pyrex or microwaveable dish with an inch of near boiling water in the bottom.

Yum.

And then pour content of pan into the compost heap, and eat some lightly olive-oil sautéed celery, instead.

But .. EIGHT MINUTES??? That'd be sprout mush! If you must eat them ... remove outer leaves, yes. Cross cut - if you like, then put into to VERY salted boiling water (erm, about 1 tablespoon per pint) for no more than one minute. At least that way you've some inkling of taste with a texture that's less like wallpaper paste.

(Or, shred the little buggers and then a quick sauté - that's not too bad in small amounts)

And then pour content of pan into the compost heap, and eat some lightly olive-oil sautéed celery, instead.

But .. EIGHT MINUTES??? That'd be sprout mush! If you must eat them ... remove outer leaves, yes. Cross cut - if you like, then put into to VERY salted boiling water (erm, about 1 tablespoon per pint) for no more than one minute. At least that way you've some inkling of taste with a texture that's less like wallpaper paste.

(Or, shred the little buggers and then a quick sauté - that's not too bad in small amounts)

See, you've been giving this some thought, haven't you? You might come round to the things yet...

Sprouts that haven't been mulched are yum, but I don't think I've ever cooked one myself.

This year I am in charge of giving two Turkish friends their first ever English Christmas dinner experience. Sprouts are top of the list of specialities they have to try. I'm quite fond of the friends and so don't want to scare em away from the UK for good. So I'd better get practicing now. How many days, did you say?

Part cook them then saute (don't know how to put the thingy on the e) with chestnuts and garlic butter..........My mum does them this way at Christmas and it is the ONLY time I ever eat sprouts.........it's surprisingly delicious.......

Lemon

YES !!

however I had to suffer well-cooked sprouts served in a cold vegetable mix in India. A regular in the office dining room (only serving traditional Indian food). Who would have thought of that? I can only conclude that the bl**dy British Raj must have introduced their least favourite vegetable to India as a penance for the people to have to suffer.

Yukk!

I think they are much maligned little things. A lot of the problem, i think, is that they are often far too old when bought so they smell and taste elderly. New ones, from a garden, allotment or a good market, are fresh, sweet and lovely.

And I shall certainly try them with garlic butter!

Stickleback

OK, I'm weird, I know, but for years I have much preferred to bite into crunchy raw ones than to eat them cooked, (however well done).

If I'm given the job of preparing them OH always puts out about twice the final requirement, because she knows I'll munch my way through a stack of uncooked ones.

Then throw them straight down the toilet, cutting out the middle man.

Remove outer leaves. Cut in half longitudinally (not around the equator!). Saute in olive oil with garlic and pine nuts for 2-3 minutes so still al dente. Delicious!

In general, agreed they should be fresh and minimally cooked - but I really don't understand why folk have such an aversion to them. The Memsahib loves 'em, so no chance we'll be going without.

I'm also partial to cabbage, spring greens, broccoli and spinach, so perhaps my views should be disregarded?.

A couple of years ago we were out on Christmas day and were truning at Barbridge Junction, about 11:00. The smell of sprouts coming from the pub opposite was overwhelming! I reckon they must have put them on about 7am that morning.

And then there was the posh pub in Tarporley that, before Christmas, was serving sprout soup as their soup of the day.

And then there was the posh pub in Tarporley that, before Christmas, was serving sprout soup as their soup of the day.

That is just disgusting and the moderators should remove this filth, immediately.

I'm also partial to cabbage, spring greens, broccoli and spinach, so perhaps my views should be disregarded?.

Nothing wrong with any of the above, at all.

Isn't "sprout soup" simply what you end up with if you put them on as much in advance of Christmas lunch as many people do?

Yum.

Aaah - to cross or not to cross, that is the question.

Personally I think if you want your sprouts mushy then cross

If you like a little delicous firmness don't cross

Me? Its too much hassle - can't be arsed, life's too short

Oh and I steam them

Fry some finely chopped garlic with a little fresh red chilli in olive oil. Add some shredded Brussell sprouts and cook at a high temperature for just a couple of minutes, moving them all the time. Serve with a little salt, fresh ground black pepper and a knob of fresh butter.

Ohh my God -Brussell heaven!!!!! :lol:

Forget the rows over CC or CM, battery management, alternator configuration or gas system isolation ... those are but petty disagreements ... because there is no other right thinking view to be held other than that of ...

SPROUTS

ARE

EVIL!!!

[edit to enhance full horror]

Get your revenge here

Tim