Christmas dinner

billyb

Featured Posts

I love to make home made chocolate truffles at Christmas, and for good measure dip a few cold cooked sprouts in melted chocolate and roll in cocoa powder. Mix in among the real truffles, near the bottom, and hand round. By the second or third choccy each, SOMEONE gets the cold chocolate sprout! It makes me laugh 'til I cry, every time!

Stickleback

The other silly trick I like is to carefully open a couple of walnuts (knife blade under ridged bit of shell and twist), remove nut, take condom out of wrapper, put in shell halves and glue halves together. Mix the doctored nuts with genuine nuts in bowl and wait..... faces can be a real picture!

Owwww! You're making my stomach hurt I've been laughing so much!

I made some 'joke' curried fudge once when I was at school (because I couldn't get the chilli boiled sweets to work). One of my friends loved it so much she asked me to make more. Still feeling poorly at the thought of chocolate onions though....

Yup. I freely admit I need to get out more. Now which of you f***** is going to take me to the pub?

You were invited out last Friday to the Prince of Wales. But you were home with a bottle of Chardonnay, a bowl of pureed sprouts and some children, I believe?

We did the walnut thing some years ago when I spent Christmas with my sister in Derbyshire. The vicar called unexpectedly and he was cracking nuts while he had a sherry - I sat there in breathless anticipation, while Clare was rigid with embarrassment! In the event, the vicar left unscathed, but later my Aunty Marjorie got one - she thought it was such a lovely Christmassy idea to have balloons in the nuts!

Stickleback

Edited by stickleback

Fry some finely chopped garlic with a little fresh red chilli in olive oil. Add some shredded Brussell sprouts and cook at a high temperature for just a couple of minutes, moving them all the time. Serve with a little salt, fresh ground black pepper and a knob of fresh butter.

Thanks for adding another way of cooking sprouts to my repertoire. I've now started frying sprouts - OH hasn't cottoned on to what these are yet! I suspect he may do tonight when he gets them with his Risotto Verdi. (Serves him right for spending all his time doing work on the boat when he could have had the delights of Christmas shopping to deal with.)

For the sprout lovers amongst you:

http://www.retrofoodrecipes.com/brussel_sprout_omelet.html

Merry Yule

Cath

Forget the rows over CC or CM, battery management, alternator configuration or gas system isolation ... those are but petty disagreements ... because there is no other right thinking view to be held other than that of ...

SPROUTS

ARE

EVIL!!!

[edit to enhance full horror]

You must have taste buds, people with a higher density of taste buds tend not to like sprouts, green tea, coffee, broccoli. People with a lower density of taste buds tend to like sprouts and the like. I'm destroying my taste buds by cooking for myself, so I don't mind sprouts!

You must have taste buds, people with a higher density of taste buds tend not to like sprouts, green tea, coffee, broccoli. People with a lower density of taste buds tend to like sprouts and the like.

I didn't know that - I don't like green tea, but I like sprouts and broccoli and I drink far too much coffee. I thought that most of these things were just a matter of what you were used to.

Is it right that you tend to lose taste buds as you age? Mine have probably been destroyed by too much coffee.

I have heard the argument that in the past children were given the same foods as the adults and just got to like them eventually, the average number of tastings of a new food before acceptance being 11 (I seem to remember). Of course, now, children often eat a very different type of meal to adults, which means that they aren't being exposed to the more strongly flavoured foods, and may never develop a liking for them.

Cheers

Cath

Missed the sprout thing but I can tell you that I steam mine and serve them with double cream etc. No nasty sulphur bitterness that way of cooking.

Isn't it simpler to just not eat things that taste bad, rather than come up with cunning ways of getting the bad taste out?