Boat security on the towpath..

GypsyBird

Featured Posts

I am seeking to buy my first narrowboat.

I will have a mooring but am also going to try and cruise her during the winter months on my days off.

But that means she may get left for a week or two at a time without me around until i get next get to move her.

Obviously this raises the question of security and I realise it can never be guaranteed but how can I make her as secure as she can possibly be.

I am leaning towards portholes and steel doors but have recently found a boat I like which has normal caravan styles windows. Do portholes really increase security in peoples experience?

Many thanks:)

Sara

Hi Sara,

We have all ports, and steel doors, and feel they have greatly increased our security.

Even in a marina where we moored a couple of years ago, the boat next to us was broken into.....via the "caravan" windows, ours didn't get touched, likewise the boat on the other side, which was also all ports. Thankfully, we caught the *******, but he still managed to cause a lot of damage and upheavel to the said boat first!

We find ports also afford us more privacy on the towpath.........people don't look in so much as they walk past, and therefore, security is increased because they can't look to see what's onboard (not that there's much worth breaking in for!!!! :lol: )

I wouldn't have big windows, but.....horses for courses! :lol:

If you make the port holes really small, so people cant fit through them, and then make everything else equally secure, The ofcause it will be less easy for people to get into the boat without your wish.

However you will then be holidaying in a metal tube with 6inch peep holes. And if they dont like yoour boat, they can just break a porthole torch it.

Personaly i would say that large windows are an important part of the enjoyment of the boat and that enjoying the boat is more important than it being secure.

We have several large windows, and some big glass roof hatches. Although all the doors to the inside are steel and well padlocked and pretty secure looking.

People dont like breaking windows. And we have found no problems so far. We leave Emilyanne moored up all over the system for 1/2/3weeks at a time and have yet to have any security problems with her (touch wood) so as long as your not stupid about it i would suggest that you would be fine with windows.

The only other thing i would add is that we have very little value on board, no tv, no money, laptop, big inverter, no deisal even. So if you where living on and did have some valuables that where leaving on board just to make sure there not on show. Which is ofcause only common sence.

Daniel

If you make the port holes really small, so people cant fit through them, and then make everything else equally secure, The ofcause it will be less easy for people to get into the boat without your wish.

However you will then be holidaying in a metal tube with 6inch peep holes. And if they dont like yoour boat, they can just break a porthole torch it.

Personaly i would say that large windows are an important part of the enjoyment of the boat and that enjoying the boat is more important than it being secure.

We have several large windows, and some big glass roof hatches. Although all the doors to the inside are steel and well padlocked and pretty secure looking.

People dont like breaking windows. And we have found no problems so far. We leave Emilyanne moored up all over the system for 1/2/3weeks at a time and have yet to have any security problems with her (touch wood) so as long as your not stupid about it i would suggest that you would be fine with windows.

The only other thing i would add is that we have very little value on board, no tv, no money, laptop, big inverter, no deisal even. So if you where living on and did have some valuables that where leaving on board just to make sure there not on show. Which is ofcause only common sence.

Daniel

DITTO

Alex

Of course there's a middle way here: I have 15" portholes and steel doors. The portholes let in plenty of light and the views are good, but only a specially trained monkey would want to get their body through them.

A well tooled-up thief can break into anything, but most boat break-ins are done by opportunists. As far as vandals go - irrespective of the type of windows, any boat, car or even house can be attacked by a vandal, so I don't really see the relevance or logic of that argument. You're not more likely to get your boat torched by vandals because you've got portholes! :lol:

At the end of the day, most thieves don't want to crawl through broken glass, so kicking in any window isn't usually the point of entry. However, if like me all your worldly posessions are onboard, then providing your door and hatch security is good, portholes do give one a greater sense of security. As such, they may also give the thief a reduced sense of opportunity.

Edited by blackrose

The important thing is not to allow this security issue dominate your life I have known so many people who have been influenced to such a degree that it put a brake on all kinds of activities.. Just make sure that there are no valuables on view in your boat and generally make the 'next boat' more attractive than yours, 'be streetwise'..

I always had a theory that is is better to leave all curtains wide open when you leave the boat, most felons are so stupid that they imagine bottles of booze, expensive saleable electronics and wads of cash lying around.

I always had a theory that is is better to leave all curtains wide open when you leave the boat, most felons are so stupid that they imagine bottles of booze, expensive saleable electronics and wads of cash lying around.

Personally I keep them shut on the towpath side, but I suppose the reverse psychology could work just as well. Depends what the interior of your boat looks like to some extent.

15 inch portholes one side and windows on the other. Moor up with the porthole windows on the towpath side and enjoy the views of the cut on the other. Most thieves will not want to risk falling in the cold canal :lol:

Excellent idea. You need to make sure of your winding holes to get the portholes on the towpath side, though. :-)

N

Excellent idea. You need to make sure of your winding holes to get the portholes on the towpath side, though. :-)

N

You can have the portholes whichever side you want by merely turning the boat upside down.

Richard

You gotta fink latterally...

Well, I never thought about it like this because I prefer portholes anyway, but yes, I do have personal experience.

My previous boat was broken into on the towpath, window smashed with a handy lump of stone, and person or persons unknown gained entry that way, and exited likewise with a couple of trophies. They couldn't have done that through a porthole.

BUT despite that experience, I wouldn't let the issue of security dictate choice of windows - or in the OP's case, choice of boat.

I leave the curtains open a good gap, but not totally open. Any toe rags would have to risk squinting in to check on contents - people or belongings. Obviously leave nothing on show! :lol:

Having said that, we were broken into by a careful intruder who slept the night and ate some food and used up all the electricity...... :lol: Twisted off the padlock... Improved the locking up since then!

I have laminated glass in the bow doors. I also have it in ground floor windows at home. They can't get through it! :lol:

Edited by Mary P

Having said that, we were broken into by a careful intruder who slept the night and ate some food and used up all the electricity...... :lol: Twisted off the padlock... Improved the locking up since then!

Aha, I think you have been visited by Mr Finch! We had exactly this happen when we left Tawny Owl at Kingswood last winter. There was a major discrepancy though, apparently Mr Finch tidies up and our visitor left the washing up for us!

Richard

• 3 weeks later...
Personally I keep them shut on the towpath side, but I suppose the reverse psychology could work just as well. Depends what the interior of your boat looks like to some extent.

If the interior of my boat (when I get it ) looks anything like my house, then the thieves will think it's already been trashed and not worth bothering with. :lol:

Maybe there's a product to be developed there, blinds with pictures of a trashed boat/empty boat on the outside.

15 inch portholes one side and windows on the other. Moor up with the porthole windows on the towpath side and enjoy the views of the cut on the other. Most thieves will not want to risk falling in the cold canal :lol:

I met a lady "live aboard" who only had windows on one side, the other was plane steel. Being inquisitive I had a word with her. On her home mooring the steel is against the towing path and windows look out over the cut. She also had one wall where she could mount anything she liked without the Windows getting in the way. I got the impression the boat only moved for holidays.

If the interior of my boat (when I get it ) looks anything like my house, then the thieves will think it's already been trashed and not worth bothering with. :lol:

Maybe there's a product to be developed there, blinds with pictures of a trashed boat/empty boat on the outside.

My flat was burgled last week, luckily very little damage was caused, Bit silly I know but I did have a bit of a tidy before the police came so that they wouldn't see the mess I normally live in!

Tim

PS Should you see a toerag walking round East London with a Laptop, Digital SLR and a TomTom please inform Ilford Police station :lol:

Edited by Tim Lewis

My flat was burgled last week, luckily very little damage was caused, Bit silly I know but I did have a bit of a tidy before the police came so that they wouldn't see the mess I normally live in!

Tim

PS Should you see a toerag walking round East London with a Laptop, Digital SLR and a TomTom please inform Ilford Police station :lol:

Sorry to hear this. Have you lost a lot of photos?

Sue

I was researching sources of windows for my wheelhouse and came across Worcester's S-type windows (not a Jaguar or a Mercedes) which allow a sheet of steel to be inserted in place of the glass. Interesting concept - has anyone had any experience of them?

I was researching sources of windows for my wheelhouse and came across Worcester's S-type windows (not a Jaguar or a Mercedes) which allow a sheet of steel to be inserted in place of the glass. Interesting concept - has anyone had any experience of them?

yes brother has them and inserts blue perspex behind the glass when he leaves the boat

Ive got them. Yes you could put a sheet of steel in place of the glass but I can assure you one kick and whoever will be in, so probably safer for the villain than glass. On the plus side it will obviously save the glass from the stone throwers and also stop anyone peering in. The only advantage I can see of these windows is that you can clean all of the windows without turning the boat round.

Edited to say I've just come back from the boat and looking at them again there is a small locking pin, should anyone try and kick the steel plate in you could end up having to replace the entire window not just the glass.

Edited by jeb

The only experience I have of them was at a show, was not impressed, after pushing the metal infill with my hand, it would be very easy just to push them out.

It seems that jeb's experience confirms this.

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry to hear this. Have you lost a lot of photos?

Sue

Thankfully no, I have all my digital photos backed up on three other devices, one of which I keep at work. Did lose a Digital SLR but this was rapidly replaced by the nice people at direct line insurance!

Tim

Hi all.

We couldn't decide for the new toy, but the issue was settled when I was offered a complete set of brand new ports at a substantial saving by someone abandoning a project. Last boat had 'caravan' windows, so the contrast is complete. Biggest single difference we've noticed is the increased privacy which I don't think I would now want to trade for the better view out afforded by windows. We do have windows at the front, so we're not depriving would be burglars of their human rights to pursue their calling.

I agree entirely with the previous comments on paranoia about security; if someone really wants in to your boat, they will get in regardless, so there is really not much point in meithering. I appreciate it is a much more serious issue if it is your home as well --- I'd be inclined to have a proper strong box welded in the bow area with top notch fastenings, so any unwelcome visitor would have to perform strenuously and noisily in full view.

Always thought myself that cratch covers are the biggest invitation to ne'er do wells, affording them shelter from view while they have a pop at your door or front window.

Mike.