LOCKING FILLER CAP

wotnot

Featured Posts

That one wouldn't work on my boat as the tank is integral and the deck comprises the top of the tank, so I can't drill into it. I need a direct replacement such as the one ary showed and have to hope that the screwholes are in the right places.

Why does that preclude drilling?

Tim

Hi

These don't look as pretty as the others on here but they won't fit on my raised fuel tank pipe.

They start at 2" bsp, are made of cast aluminium and could have a cable crimped to them or a padlock and chain.

Definitely not 'bomb' proof but may act as a deterrent if there are people about.

LockingFuelCap.jpg

NarrowCraft have been testing one for 6 months now and the lock seems to work and has not seized yet.

This was our main concern but I expect to be placing an order shortly.

They are now standard fitment on all our new boats.

Well I don't want swarf in my tank. Although the drill bit will lift most swarf upwards and away from the hole being drilled, when you actually go through some drops down into the hole.

Put some thick grease on the drill bit when you do the last bit and it will hold the swarf. The tiny amount that may drop in won't do any harm as it will sit on the bottom of the tank along with all the other swarf and rubbish left in there when the tank was built. The fuel filters will trap any in the unlikely event that it is lifted into the fuel pipe, which will be an inch or so above the bottom of the tank.

Hi

These don't look as pretty as the others on here but they won't fit on my raised fuel tank pipe.

They start at 2" bsp, are made of cast aluminium and could have a cable crimped to them or a padlock and chain.

Definitely not 'bomb' proof but may act as a deterrent if there are people about.

LockingFuelCap.jpg

Hi Greybeard,

Sounds like I have the same set up as you. An threaded pipe sticking up out of the deck with a screw on cap ?

Can you point me at the supplier of the ones pictured please ?

Cheers

Les

Well I don't want swarf in my tank. Although the drill bit will lift most swarf upwards and away from the hole being drilled, when you actually go through some drops down into the hole.

Purchase a kiddies umbrella. Remove old filler cap and poke umbrella through and open it as far as you can, while still keeping hold of the handle. (Some wire from coat-hangers may be useful here to push/pull etc. - in fact they're very useful for many things) then drill/tap your new holes. Close umbrella and remove it with swarf safely collected and contained.

That locking aero style filler cap is just like the one on my Honda Deauville.

Mike

Hi Greybeard,

Sounds like I have the same set up as you. An threaded pipe sticking up out of the deck with a screw on cap ?

Can you point me at the supplier of the ones pictured please ?

Cheers

Les

Waiting for link to be sent but the guy has told me they're about £17.00 + 17.5% & delivery.

Somewhere in Birmingham apparently.

I'm down that way in next few days and I can see me picking up 1/2 dozen for some of the motley crew if I can get details!

As soon as I get link I'll pass it on.

Purchase a kiddies umbrella. Remove old filler cap and poke umbrella through and open it as far as you can, while still keeping hold of the handle. (Some wire from coat-hangers may be useful here to push/pull etc. - in fact they're very useful for many things) then drill/tap your new holes. Close umbrella and remove it with swarf safely collected and contained

Mike

Spot on advice... I will have to remember that one!

This is turning into a right saga!

After two weeks of trying to find the ideal solution I aren't terribly further on the results seem to be there are only two sources of true marine locking fuel caps one is an American cheap plastic offering that is probably two insecure for our needs the other is a British made very secure and good quality offering that is priced like a Rolls Royce! (More of that later.)

I also explored the aviation world and found some possibles that were a bit cheaper but the downfall of these was that most of them left the fixings exposed so that they would be rather easy to remove.

Next came the motor racing market and that had similar fixing issues plus they all tended to very light weight construction that would be easy to pry open.

The most realistic options but yet again not that cheap were some of the classic car reproduction caps these are quite well constructed but very non standard sizes so would require quite a lot of work to make fit, also the profiles of them meant that using a big screwdriver etc you could probably force them open or break them off.

So the only really viable one was the Rolls Royce option from the super yacht world this is in the form of a standard sized deckfiller with a bayonet action "pop up" cap that when locked down obscures the fixings and would be very difficult to remove without serious power tools, the version I showed a picture of before with the opening flap is still to go into production and I am awaiting prices.

D11621.jpg

So now we come to the bad news!

The price is going to be a bit of a blow :lol: , direct from the manufacturer the best price is £193.88 inc VAT :lol:

The only thing I can say in their defence is that it is made out of 316 Stainless Steel to a quality that is far higher than the usual made in China ditch crawling offerings we are used too.

Anyway I intend to keep searching but if anyone is tempted I can get these. :lol:

I don't know if these will fit an older boat but would they fit a new build?

No idea of the price either.

http://www.truckprotect.com/capit.htm

You could probably fit one on a new build or make it fit with some work on an existing boat, the problem is that lots of people just want a simple straight swap without having to do a lot of alterations.

You could probably fit one on a new build or make it fit with some work on an existing boat, the problem is that lots of people just want a simple straight swap without having to do a lot of alterations.

What do you think of these anti-siphon devices Gary? I've yet to measure my filler neck diameter and height, but even if they're not right as sold here they shouldn't be to hard to fabricate?

Julian

What do you think of these anti-siphon devices Gary? I've yet to measure my filler neck diameter and height, but even if they're not right as sold here they shouldn't be to hard to fabricate?

Julian

I think it would be fairly easy to fabricate a DIY solution to prevent a pipe being passed into the tank, we could do it fairly easily by simply blanking the end of the tube that passes through the deck into the tank and grinding a few slots into it to allow the fuel into the tank.

A lot of narrowboats could still be a very easy target even with a decent locking or obstructed filler to anyone with a bit of knowhow and a cordless drill.

After two weeks of trying to find the ideal solution I aren't terribly further on the results seem to be there are only two sources of true marine locking fuel caps one is an American cheap plastic offering that is probably two insecure for our needs the other is a British made very secure and good quality offering that is priced like a Rolls Royce! (More of that later.)

I also explored the aviation world and found some possibles that were a bit cheaper but the downfall of these was that most of them left the fixings exposed so that they would be rather easy to remove.

Next came the motor racing market and that had similar fixing issues plus they all tended to very light weight construction that would be easy to pry open.

The most realistic options but yet again not that cheap were some of the classic car reproduction caps these are quite well constructed but very non standard sizes so would require quite a lot of work to make fit, also the profiles of them meant that using a big screwdriver etc you could probably force them open or break them off.

So the only really viable one was the Rolls Royce option from the super yacht world this is in the form of a standard sized deckfiller with a bayonet action "pop up" cap that when locked down obscures the fixings and would be very difficult to remove without serious power tools, the version I showed a picture of before with the opening flap is still to go into production and I am awaiting prices.

D11621.jpg

So now we come to the bad news!

The price is going to be a bit of a blow :lol: , direct from the manufacturer the best price is £193.88 inc VAT :lol:

The only thing I can say in their defence is that it is made out of 316 Stainless Steel to a quality that is far higher than the usual made in China ditch crawling offerings we are used too.

Anyway I intend to keep searching but if anyone is tempted I can get these. :lol:

Hello

I would be interested in one of these as long as it would be a direct replacement without any alterations (as Im crap at things like that!) It is expensive but soon it will be the cost of one tank full and it would remove one more worry give me peace of mind.

Regards

Geoff

S. G. Gray & son. 5, Market Street, Wisbech. PE13 1EX. 01945 581555 (YachtChandlery@aol.com)

Import a very nice for only £16.95 +P&P (Pics to be posted on Monday). It is well made from chomed brass.

Our local fuel thief hates it :lol: .

Comes with two keys. The hole in the tank needs to be enlarged a bit to fit. The lock is in the base of the cap and prevents the cap from unscrewing when locked.

Anyone passing Foxes this weekend is welcome to stop and have a closer look.

Grays are due to place another order next week (Three weeks)

Firesprite

Here's yet another to put into the mix: http://www.wesselhoeft.net/Faekalientank/h...ings%5B1%5D.pdf

It may be possible for Gary to buy these at a good rate (bulk supply) and if they are appropriate, I'm sure there are many interested parties on the forum = "Everyone's a Winner" :lol:

Is your link correct? These all look like standard pumpout fittings to me.