LOCKING FILLER CAP

wotnot

Featured Posts

I've seen vans with a label saying 'no tools are left in this vehicle overnight', I assume this has an effect even though there might be stuff in the vehicle. Maybe a sticker saying "no diesel is left in this vessel's fuel tanks" would work??

I've seen vans with a label saying 'no tools are left in this vehicle overnight', I assume this has an effect even though there might be stuff in the vehicle. Maybe a sticker saying "no diesel is left in this vessel's fuel tanks" would work??

Or maybe just putting a sticker on the window supporting Hamas?

I can't see a locking filler cap either. In any case I don't think Gary deals with LeeSan because he thinks they are sh*t dealers.

Now I'm not sure if the "locking cap" is actually a security type lock or not. Reading the information in the link, LeeSan would appear to be manufacturers and if that was the case it wouldn't be beyond their capabilities to come up with a fuel cap that both fitted and was secure (at an affordable price to all) !

Text taken from the link:

DECK FILLERS - Diesel, Fuel, Petrol, Water

• Matches LEESAN Pump-out & Rinse-out fittings

• Cap & flange seal on "O" ring prevents water ingress

Slotted key for cap release

• Accepts 38mm (1 1/2") 50mm (2") or 63mm (21/2")

hose or ISO G1 1/2 (1 1/2'BSP) pipe can be directly

connected

• Marine quality chrome or traditional polished brass

• Hose tail material has a V2 fire rating, tested to UN94

and suitable for U.K. boat safety scheme compliance

• Cap release key & identification plate included

Hole Dia. 65mm Flange Dia. 99mm

Hi,

Have been looking at this one with interest, and I have a flush deck fitting. After some thought and checking the fittings, I made a 3 stage security fitting for £15 + labour.

It could easly be upgraded to a 4 stage unit. One of the stages incorporates a Yale lock, which is weather protected. It's probably better than the expensive one listed and involves no alterations to the original fitting.

Time will tell how secure it is!!.

ALBI

Time will tell how secure it is!!.

ALBI

When they stole the diesel from my mate's lorries they simply drilled through the tanks. No lock is ever going to stop that .....

Ok, a narrowboat's tank is perhaps 5 times thicker, so it will take a minute rather than 10 seconds to holesaw a big enough hole to suck it out......

Integral tanks, the cheap option, might not be such a good idea after all..... :lol:

There is a very smart Russell Newbery powered tug cruising around called 'Kyle' - it has a large notice on the front stating that it runs on used engine oil - I bet the fuel thieves will leave that one alone!

There is a very smart Russell Newbery powered tug cruising around called 'Kyle' - it has a large notice on the front stating that it runs on used engine oil - I bet the fuel thieves will leave that one alone!

If they can read

Although its not a locking unit how about this one... Would at least tell you when your diesel has been nicked!

http://www.osukl.com/3210.htm

2210-D_HiRes.jpg

One a more serious note, wonder if these would fit a standard canal boat filler?

3211_HiRes.jpg

Edited by stuart

Although its not a locking unit how about this one... Would at least tell you when your diesel has been nicked!

2210-D_HiRes.jpg

One a more serious note, wonder if these would fit a standard canal boat filler?

3211_HiRes.jpg

You can get the locking version of it but it's even more pricey £204.00 plus VAT

Plus without security screws to fix it you can simply unscrew it!

The other one I found is at least very secure and hard to tamper with when fitted it's just a shame it isn't a bit cheaper.

I have now looked at a few car type ones and I am afraid they are all very much of the looks good at first but a small pry bar or large screwdriver would defeat them quickly without much fuss.

We have taken the route of now blanking the filler tube a couple of inches below the maximum fuel level and cutting slots in the tube to allow fuel to flow out during filling but making it very difficult to get even a very thin tube into the tank.

The problem with doing this would be if you have to dip the tank, we use tank senders and gauges so it isn't a problem.

Hi,

Have been thinking and playing around with the prototype and it is possible at virtually no extra cost to add another security feature. I am fortunate in having dedicated tanks for heating and engine fuel.

I agree if people want to hammer their way into tanks it will be difficult to stop them.

But a 5 stage locking device using 3 different tools and 'Yale' key would deter opportunists.

Albi

S. G. Gray & son. 5, Market Street, Wisbech. PE13 1EX. 01945 581555 (YachtChandlery@aol.com)

Import a very nice for only £16.95 +P&P (Pics to be posted on Monday). It is well made from chomed brass.

Our local fuel thief hates it :lol: .

Comes with two keys. The hole in the tank needs to be enlarged a bit to fit. The lock is in the base of the cap and prevents the cap from unscrewing when locked.

Anyone passing Foxes this weekend is welcome to stop and have a closer look.

Grays are due to place another order next week (Three weeks)

Firesprite

picture0300ug6.jpg

picture0297os9.jpg

picture0300ug6.jpg

picture0297os9.jpg

At last! Something that looks like the right sort of thing at a sensible price.

Does the cap part fit a standard diesel filler fitting? It looks about right, with the two holes for the 'key' as well.

Edited by dor

At last! Something that looks like the right sort of thing at a sensible price.

Does the cap part fit a standard diesel filler fitting? It looks about right, with the two holes for the 'key' as well.

Yes, I like that too. Perhaps we should get a CWF bulk order (and discount!) organised?

Yes, I like that too. Perhaps we should get a CWF bulk order (and discount!) organised?

Me too - but I dread the thought of having to enlarge the hole "a bit". How much is a bit?

It would be just great if the cap fitted the existing filler - but that's possibly hoping for too much, has anybody tried it (or asked the dealer)? It looks as if it would be easy to drill out the rivets and remove the whole thing from the tank, that would have to be thought through a bit more I reckon.

I see the one from Beeston which Gypsy Rover identified (posts 26/27) also needs the hole to be enlarged "a bit", from 4cm to between 5 & 6 cm. That's a lot of filing! I wonder how the two units would compare? That one has no visible rivets or screws, I wonder how it attaches?

Edited: I wonder about the possibility of a sort of DIY equivalent? How about making an oval hole in the centre of the filler cap, to accommodate a cam lock (something like this perhaps, although possibly a more weatherproof version could be found, I remember my old GT6 used to have one as a bonnet lock). The cam could engage into a slot that had been hacksawed into the side of the filler.

It would use the existing fittings, and all the metalwork could be done away from the tank so you'd not get any problems with swarf. Then you'd just need to re-fit the fitting with security screws (eg cross-head screws with the crosses drilled out after fitting). Also it's cheap.

Comments anyone?

Edited by Keeping Up

Hi,

The cam lock principle is the best.

I was concerned about 'enlarging the hole a bit' and now the chrome appearance, any new lock had to match in with the original, Thus one had to incorprate a 'cam' lock type within the fitting.

Not too worried about swarf - it sinks the bottom, well below the bottom level of 'usable' diesel in the tank and the contents are filtered well before use. Any swarf will be removed with the annual bottom of the tank 'crud' removal, either by draining (one tank) or suction the other tank.

It's also worth considering a locking device for the water tank as it's only a matter of time before some 'happy hero' introduces something into this tank as a prank or some other reason.

Albi

Comments anyone?

The problem I can see with the cam lock is that it is just a lever that turns. As the lock would have to be fitted fairly centrally in the filler cap, the lever would probably have to be shortened, then would there be enough to lock it. The photoed one seems to operate a sliding flat bolt rather than rotating one which would get round this problem.

The problem I can see with the cam lock is that it is just a lever that turns. As the lock would have to be fitted fairly centrally in the filler cap, the lever would probably have to be shortened, then would there be enough to lock it. The photoed one seems to operate a sliding flat bolt rather than rotating one which would get round this problem.

A good point, it would certainly have to be mounted off-centre to work. But it does rotate by 180 degrees, so I would have thought there would be sufficient movemement to engage securely. A few measurements and a bit of modelling are called for.

Someone on uk.rec.waterways reports that a company called TISS are about to launch a narrow-boat oriented version of their anti-syphon device. They say: "I have just spoken to someone at this company and it seems the designer lives on a narrowboat and has already done the development. Product launch this week. We will be discussing further tomorrow and I willl be trying to persuade him to exhibit at the IWA festival at Wolverhampton. Watch this space!"

Does the cap part fit a standard diesel filler fitting?

The cap is wider and deeper to allow the lock to fit.

I dread the thought of having to enlarge the hole "a bit". How much is a bit?

For me two mins with the file

It looks as if it would be easy to drill out the rivets and remove the whole thing from the tank?

I used rivets as it was what i had to hand, The task is to make the crook have think twice. (5 mins is a long time for a crook).

and try someone elses. Taking the lid off and putting a hose in takes seconds and move off and can be done from the bank.

With just using rivets that I used it takes 10 mins with a cordless drill out all three rivets, About the same time it would take me to cut a 1 inch hole in the tank with a hole saw. You can punch a hole in a standard lorry tank with a screwdriver.

The other two caps I seen being used by sunseeker are fitted the same way as a skin fitting ie a large nut screwed onto the base.

Firesprite

I think a certain chandlery in penkridge have them, for the right money, pukka quality too.

:lol:

1.5" bsp (label needed)

2" bsp ('DIESEL' cast into it)

just chrome at the moment, brass may be coming soon

Which one is it? And how much money? It's not on their web site yet