Right hand driving on the canals

tullemor1

Featured Posts

It is always worth noting the begginning of the colregs

(a) These Rules shall apply to all vessels upon the high seas and in all waters connected therewith navigable by seagoing vessels.

(:lol: Nothing in these Rules shall interfere in the operation of special rules made by an appropriate authority for roadsteads, harbors, rivers, lakes or inland waterways connected with the high seas and navigable by seagoing vessels. Such special rules shall conform as closely as possible to these Rules.

Now correct me if I am wrong (as usual) but I see nothing to say that these apply to large parts of the UK canal network and as yet in CEVNI

http://www.unece.org/trans/doc/finaldocs/s...-SC3-115r2e.pdf

Or on the BW site that gives any indication of that they have adopted the colregs or for that matter what the rules of the road are.

Am I missing something again :)

Or on the BW site that gives any indication of that they have adopted the colregs or for that matter what the rules of the road are.

Interesting. on Waterscape it says

"navigation and mooring rules

British Waterways' navigation and mooring rules are listed in their mooring conditions booklet."

The mooring booklet is here: http://www.waterscape.com/media/documents/1861.pdf

Can't see any navigation rules though....

Richard

Edited by RLWP

It is always worth noting the begginning of the colregs

Now correct me if I am wrong (as usual) but I see nothing to say that these apply to large parts of the UK canal network and as yet in CEVNI

http://www.unece.org/trans/doc/finaldocs/s...-SC3-115r2e.pdf

Am I missing something again :)

As usual, nothing is simple, Tidal! If you look at the BW Bye Laws they don't actually say that they are following the col regs. However, the wording which relates to steering and sailing rules, lights etc bears close similarities to the pre 1973 col regs ( the ones I was brought up on!) with obvious additions where necessary to include such things as dropping towropes when two towed boats approach each other in a canal for instance.

No mention of CEVNI.

The only copy of the Bye Laws I can lay my hands on is the one on the web site as follows

http://www.hnboc.org.uk/

Look in downloads for the Bye Laws - they appear to be an old copy but I understand that they are still current.

HTH

Howard

Thanks Howard

That does solve the "giving way to commercial vessels" bit anyway.

You are right they are 70s in style aren't they?

*wanders off remembering those halcyon days*

:)

Halcyon - happy memories! The name of the first vessel I went to sea on - seasick for a week!

Howard

It is a kayak - no c - Inuit word.

I keep saying, dont pay any attention to canoes, kayaks, sailboats or rowing shells. Their maneuverability combined with an overpowering sense of self preservation means they will always get out of the way. What may seems like a dangerously close call to you is nothing to the steerer of one of these agile little boats. Ignore them please - I speak as one who lives on both sides of this particular fence, there is nothing worse than a faffing motorboater who swerves around and slams on reverse. Causes more trouble than steering a straight course. Has anyone actually hit one?!

The only thing motorboaters could do is to slow down when they pass a noticeably novice group so their wash does not cause a few capsizes.

I keep saying, dont pay any attention to canoes, kayaks, sailboats or rowing shells. Their maneuverability combined with an overpowering sense of self preservation means they will always get out of the way. What may seems like a dangerously close call to you is nothing to the steerer of one of these agile little boats. Ignore them please - I speak as one who lives on both sides of this particular fence, there is nothing worse than a faffing motorboater who swerves around and slams on reverse. Causes more trouble than steering a straight course. Has anyone actually hit one?!

The only thing motorboaters could do is to slow down when they pass a noticeably novice group so their wash does not cause a few capsizes.

So just steer straight for them then? Ramming speed? Watch them scramble out of the way... :)

Reminds me of an 8-second conversation I had with a passing boat in a stretch of canoe-infestation. I said 'Did you get any, then?' and the reply was 'No, they move too bl**dy quick!' - which was interesting, since neither of us had mentioned the word 'canoe' at all!

(I know there's a difference between canoes and kayaks, but I can't remember what it is. Presumably it's just as annoying to the kayaking fraternity as when my narrowboat is called a 'barge'.)

Ian

Kayaks were invented by the Inuit (Eskimos). You sit on the hull, propel the boat with a double ended paddle, and generally they can be rolled up after a capsize - swimming in Artic water was not an option!

Canoes were invented by the native north Americans (Indians) You kneel or sit high up and the boat is propelled with a single bladed paddle.

Just to add to the confusion - Kayaks are generally called canoes in England, a misnomer started by John MacGregor in his Adventures of the Rob Roy Canoe series of books - the Rob Roy was not a canoe, but a kayak!

So can i ask another one of my newbie questions that I'm sure you've dealt with hundreds of time before, but I can't find. I was out on The Gloucester and Sharpness yesterday, and was waiting for one of the bridges to be opened. When it was, there was another cruiser, probably about the same size as 'Kestrel' waiting the other side to come through as well...we sorted out the order through a series of 'is he moving?' conversations at our end and got through OK, but it made me realise I have no idea what the 'pecking order' is in that kind of situation. Could some kind soul take pity on me and enlighten accordingly please? Upsteam priority? Downstream? Whoever makes the first move?

Thanks for the assistance that you all provide as we pick this stuff up, it really is appreciated!

Tim

So can i ask another one of my newbie questions that I'm sure you've dealt with hundreds of time before, but I can't find. I was out on The Gloucester and Sharpness yesterday, and was waiting for one of the bridges to be opened. When it was, there was another cruiser, probably about the same size as 'Kestrel' waiting the other side to come through as well...we sorted out the order through a series of 'is he moving?' conversations at our end and got through OK, but it made me realise I have no idea what the 'pecking order' is in that kind of situation. Could some kind soul take pity on me and enlighten accordingly please? Upsteam priority? Downstream? Whoever makes the first move?

Thanks for the assistance that you all provide as we pick this stuff up, it really is appreciated!

Tim

If there's a traffic light - obey it

If there's a bridge keeper - obey him/her

If not - it's called "chicken"

I should have a trophy!

I, along with the boat, managed to make one "set of eight" into "two lots of four" :P

How did you manage that? We hit a rowing boat amidships and it shot across the water like a cork out of a bottle, with on damage at all. Since then I've ignored them as I thought they were indestructable.

Sue

Tim

All depends which way the bridge is swinging,...away from you go ahead....towards you blow 3 blasts on your horn and stop and wait. Now everyone will ask why blow 3..it means my engine is going astern..! But then how many canal boat skippers even know the simple whistle signals..?

All depends which way the bridge is swinging,...away from you go ahead....towards you blow 3 blasts on your horn and stop and wait. Now everyone will ask why blow 3..it means my engine is going astern..! But then how many canal boat skippers even know the simple whistle signals..?

Sorry but this is incorrect.

All G&S bridges are under control of a bridge keeper and you are required to obey their instructions how ever given, if you start sounding your horn at bridges I can assure you, you will be going second!

Sorry but this is incorrect.

All G&S bridges are under control of a bridge keeper and you are required to obey their instructions how ever given, if you start sounding your horn at bridges I can assure you, you will be going second!

That may well be so..but what about all the other bridges on the canals..lift..swing..or fixed..Who gives way to who..?

That may well be so..but what about all the other bridges on the canals..lift..swing..or fixed..Who gives way to who..?

At fixed bridges on canals, whoever gets there first has right of way, although, if you are in a position to wait safely and can see that the other boat will have difficulty, it would be a good idea to waive your right of way and wave him through.

At movable bridges, politeness should dictate that whoever has their crew operating the bridge has right of way and it would be wise to obey any signals given by the operators regarding passage. They may be able to see something you cannot.

Arthur

We came across kayackers twice along the canals, both times in heavy wind, and as we turned over to the right, so did the kayack, which made it a very dangerous situation. It turned out fine, after a lot of swearing from both sides, specially from the kayacker although he was very much in the wrong. Not only for going to the wrong side, but also because in companison to a canal boat, a kayack has no rights in hell, and he should get into the side (chose whichever) as soon as humanly possible, as soon as one appears in the distance, specially since, if you are chosing to kayack on the canals, you should be aware of how difficult it is to maneuver a canal boat in strong winds.

There does appear to be different rules circulated by the various bodies - canoes, kayaks, skiffs, rowing boats!

Many are told to head for the towpath when seeing approaching traffic - does this explain it?

There does appear to be different rules circulated by the various bodies - canoes, kayaks, skiffs, rowing boats!

Many are told to head for the towpath when seeing approaching traffic - does this explain it?

Sensible rules are:-

Give way to bigger traffic

Whoever is closer to a bridge, owns it

Don't steal water

Lock and bridge work should be shared

Obey official signals

and (Always moor up on the rowing jetty)

I'm sure most of what has been written about kayaks and similar has been meant in fun but, to be serious for a moment, would you be happy having somebody's death on your conscience ? Kayaks cannot harm us boaters but we can easily harm them. If I run down a child in a kayak it's hard to imagine what would happen but nothing good - that's for sure. Most of the kayakers I have met have had very little control of their craft. There is not much that can be done to actually give way but sense dictates slowing down to give them time to disperse or so you can stop if one gets into difficulties.

For the "right of way" minded you cannot claim right of way over a "vessel that is maneuvering with difficulty".

Arthur

Kayaks cannot harm us boaters but we can easily harm them.

This is where you are wrong, you cant hurt them that easily as your boat will push them away. The only workaround I have found is to wait for them with a big knife as they get out of the water. And even then... the little bastards can run like hell.

I should have a trophy!

I, along with the boat, managed to make one "set of eight" into "two lots of four" :P

Congratulations! I would guess this was between Altrincham and Stretford; those university scullers and rowers are a menace on a Sunday morning!