Right hand driving on the canals

tullemor1

Featured Posts

Someone else has noticed that the same two universities always get to the Boat Race final!

Ian

I was content to idle along through Altrincham, Broadheath, Timperley and Sale whilst they sorted themselves out with varying degrees of success, but my patience was tried by one eight which came up behind me as I approached the Kings Ransom and started nudging my counter. I smilingly reminded them that there was a 4 mph speed limit (although I was going slowly past all the moored craft there) and one of them told me it didn't apply to them. Then the guy on the bike on the towpath started shouting instructions and they shipped the oars on the starboard side and started to overtake me! Once past me they started to f**k about catching crabs and I had to idle along again until they eventually pulled into the bank at the Stretford boundary. I hope that was the lot that Liam sank!

Congratulations! I would guess this was between Altrincham and Stretford; those university scullers and rowers are a menace on a Sunday morning!

Hehe, yup, I'm not sure which one it was as there's two there, one operating from Walton Park in Sale and t'other, just next to the winding hole at Dane road.

The amount of times I've seen them go pair shaped down our moorings, only for them to then use their oars to push off from the boats... they did it to mine once and scratched the fresh paint on the "top bend"... wasn't pleased!

When 8 of them are rowing your boat doesn't go forwards and backwards as such, it goes up and down and as we're on the offside, it's very shallow and with the amount of water they move you don't have drop down onto the mud and crap at the side with a big "bang". Even springs don't stop this, and so they are now limited to 4 rowers past the moorings.

I get sick of reminding them "four, please!"...