What is a reasonable time

cotswoldsman

Featured Posts

It takes us a little longer to get going, but quarter to seven is about boiler lighting time.

- Average pin pulling time is about eight maybe. But it can be as early as about seven if the boiler lighting insomniac is on full chatt.

Daniel

Hi, I found this pic. of my trip into London on 21st June 2004. I always stop the night at Bulls Bridge ( Tesco ) This shot was taken at 04.39 in Southall and as all of us who travel in the early morning it was cold !

Regards Patrick.

s3d9go.jpg

iyps84.jpg

Southall??

Its Northolt Kensington Road

- ends -

Hi, I have found the image that confused me !

118oapf.jpg

This I took at 03.38 in what you might call Southall. It was just after the railway bridge 1/3rd mile from Bulls Bridge. I then stopped for breakfast .

After breakfast I got to Kensinghton Rd where I took the other picture.

3160p39.jpg

Happy summer cruising. Patrick.

ps. If you look carefully you can see the pipe bridge that is in front of the road bridge.

Edited by bargiepat

Nice photo - are you really that tall?

Chuckle :stop:

back on topic, On the salty wet bits getting up and going at very odd times is a must if your intending to catch certain tides etc. At busy moorings 'Rafting up' is a regular occurance and one which you all to cope with. You just try and make sure the boat intending to leave first gets on the outside and being woken up by footsteps on the deck above your head is just one of those sea going pleasures you have to put up with.

On the fresh water bits, Apart from hire boats which i believe have their cruising resricted between sunrise and sunset due to insurance, early morning departures, late evening cruises and night time travel can be some of the best times to be out and about.

Its just common curtesy to keep your noise levels as low as you can when passing boats, and your speed but you should be doing that in anycase

it is acceptable to cuise at any time as long as you go slowly past boats so their pins don't come out. What is not acceptable is really loud obnoxious engines that vibrate your own boat when they are TWO boats away. This is particularly unacceptable behaviour when it is a glorious sunday afternoon and you are trying to relax on your sofa with a lovely cup of tea. The endless rattles and drones induce headaches in the fairer sex and unleashes all sorts of demons.

There, I think that about sums it up. Were this boat to go whizzing past my boat at any time of day and pull out my pins I would find it 100000millions times preferrable to having my teeth rattled.

There is a tendancy these days for a lot of people on boats moored up to resent anyone going past at any time of the day and at any speed. It's as if you're taking a short cut through their back garden and spoiling their privacy. I'm sure this is what a lot of the moronic "slow down" calls are about as their frequency never bears any relation to the speed you're actually going.

These people seem to forget that they are moored on a navigation - the passing boat is not navigating through a mooring. If they don't like to see boats going past and bob about a bit then they'd be better off in a marina or a quiet side arm. You wouldn't park your car at the side of a main road and then complain about being buffeted by passing traffic.

Personally I like early starts when there are less people about and the others who are boating at the same time tend to be people who know what they're doing and don't hold you up dithering around at locks. Also with early starts come early finishes when you can actually get a mooring at a popular location - ie near a pub.

As the canals get more congested boating "in shifts" would seem to make more and more sense.

And I agree with Bones - better an early-bird engine passing quickly by than someone moored next to you with a whizzy "gas free" boat who has to start his engine to boil a kettle in the morning.

Paul H

it is acceptable to cuise at any time as long as you go slowly past boats so their pins don't come out. What is not acceptable is really loud obnoxious engines that vibrate your own boat when they are TWO boats away. This is particularly unacceptable behaviour when it is a glorious sunday afternoon and you are trying to relax on your sofa with a lovely cup of tea. The endless rattles and drones induce headaches in the fairer sex and unleashes all sorts of demons.

There, I think that about sums it up. Were this boat to go whizzing past my boat at any time of day and pull out my pins I would find it 100000millions times preferrable to having my teeth rattled.

I think you should stop telling people to go slow for your own selfish reasons. The reasons to go slow on the canals is NOT because the people who live there shoulden't get storms in they're tea cups or that they're pins might come out. Both really stupid reasons if you ask me. If you live on a boat you should expect waves and know how to tie up your boat properly.

The REAL reason for going slowly on the canals, and a very good one it is, is because the waves you might make at higher speed will wash out the edges of the canals! We were taught by a man from the marina in Churk to go so slowly at any given time that we didn't make a ripple, to protect the canals!

I have learned something too! :stop:

Perhaps the question should be "Is it reasonable to object to people using a transport thoroughfare for the purpose of transport?"

I live under the flight path into Heathrow and every time I am disturbed by an aircraft I think this is the price of enjoying the economic benefits of living near a world transport hub, and I remind myself that I am welcome to f*** off and live in the quiet of the north of Scotland, if I could survive in the tiny economy up there!

Edited by WJM

Perhaps the question should be "Is it reasonable to object to people using a transport thoroughfare for the purpose of transport?"

I live under the flight path into Heathrow and every time I am disturbed by an aircraft I think this is the price of enjoying the economic benefits of living near a world transport hub, and I remind myself that I am welcome to f*** off and live in the quiet of the north of Scotland, if I could survive in the tiny economy up there!

WJM, you are being (perhaps deliberatley) obtuse. people moving their own narrow boat does not compare with the flight path for heathrow, the comparison isn't favourable, or unfavourable, just invalid.

Cotswold Man et al. I think you are (and should be) allowed to cruise at any time, but it's how you do it. Slip past with scarcely a Ripple (pardon the pun) at peace with world, or belt past at maximum blatt because it's your in Natnwich at 5 am and the boat is due back in Wrenbury at 9... Val and I have started at 7 and before, and also sometimes not got up for coffee until ten: live and let live, but those cruising before, say 8, should be especially considerate

Magpie

That is your perception - call me old fashioned but I still see the canals as a 24 hour waterway, and I see LHR as a 6am to 23.30 airport. That is the deal I signed up to when I put my roots down here.

the occasional early morning boat disturbs hardly anyone

many early am planes disturbs a lot of people

ps- i think the locals around Heathrow would prefer a new waterway linking the Slough Arm to the Thames rather than suffer another damn runway!

Edited by fender

Each year I camp in a field right next to Birmingham airport for a charity bikers "do" each of the Sunday mornings I camp there I cringe as the first light taking off wakes me up after a good night on the ale the night before. My flight to Tunisia a couple of weeks ago took off on a Sunday morning from that airport at 6am. I was hoping no one was camping on THAT particular Sunday Morning! The return flight came in over the field. I have sat there watching the planes land on so many occasions!

Many a morning I have been lucky enough to be slumbering in a narrow boat following a social evening enjoying a few drinks. If I am woken by a boat with a vintage engine passing then I can think of nothing better. It is like music to my ears and I am certain to jump out of bed with a smile. If its a bog standard diesel passing then it does not have the same effect but so long as they are being considerate it really does not matter.

Ok .......so I have experience both and I know which I prefer but then I guess I am a bit odd.

Edited by cheshire~rose

Aren't you supposed to switch your engine off between 8pm and 8am? So early starts are okay if you row...?

I think you will find that that refers to static charging etc... We travel Early mornings/Late Evenings, and take "reasonable" precautions to not upset/disturb other people BUT if you have your 20ft Fiberglass cruiser tied on two damp bits of soggy string and it moves when we come past then TOUGH, accept it or learn to tie you boat up properly.

My "pet" hatred is those people who deem it necessary to boat with their "Ghetto Blaster" on the cabin slide @ full volume playing whatever crap they like so everybody else can share it !!

Check your insurance policy to make sure you are allowed to cruise in the dark. I think most of you will be but one or two, like a guy I know, can't as he's not covered. The same applies when locking in the dark too.

I don't mind what time you start out or pull up,as long as you are considerate. I don't see why you need to shout at 10pm, or 6am, or have a radio blasting out either as its just rude and there is really no need, plus if you are out enjoying the early morning peace, why spoil it with music. Don't see the point myself, but that's just me. I just think if you love it, enjoy it, just be careful and don't go too fast or make too much noise.