Any London Water Gypsies out there?

Lady_Why

Featured Posts

Anyone out there who has recent experience of moving about without mooring in central London? I am considering purchasing a boat without mooring (because I've fallen in love with it!) but already been told on the forum here this is risky ~ so what I need now is someone with hands on and up to date experience of it.

I hear BW is cracking down on it. Is this correct and how much is known about it?

Anyone out there who has recent experience of moving about without mooring in central London? I am considering purchasing a boat without mooring (because I've fallen in love with it!) but already been told on the forum here this is risky ~ so what I need now is someone with hands on and up to date experience of it.

I hear BW is cracking down on it. Is this correct and how much is known about it?

London water gypsy? Bit of an oxymoron isn't it? Like "Nomad resident". Why not cut the romanticisations and go straight to "I am considering awarding myself a free mooring will I get away with it".

London water gypsy? Bit of an oxymoron isn't it? Like "Nomad resident". Why not cut the romanticisations and go straight to "I am considering awarding myself a free mooring will I get away with it".

You assume to much - and being new to the forum I am sorry not to know the exact terminology but I thought clarity of query was more important. I was actually looking for boat with mooring and happy to spend the money on it; fate just happened to have me come across (and fall in love) with one without = hence my query of what it entails as mooring on it's own (for purchase) appears non-existant.

Should you however know of anyone selling mooring anywhere zone 1-3 in London, by all means, let me know. I am not here to chit chat or volley opinion; I am here in hope of receiving lucid and informative responses from friendly people.

Is the boat you're interested in Peggoty?

74683_1.jpg

15966187__1203704883__0__1-c43297f0c9efe13d1e4b316a205691b2.__big__.jpg

15966187__1203704883__0__2-05d869643180920463d5740b1ad9a814.__big__.jpg

10mm steel all over? Sounds heavy! Perhaps you can get something much newer for your £50k...? :D Someone on this forum might recognise the boat and know something about it?

Alternatively you can always go for something like this and if you can secure the mooring, perhaps flog the boat and buy something else to go on the mooring? Assuming regulation allows that...?

Boat and Yeading Mooring

Boat and Uxbridge Mooring

or there's just moorings, of course:

London Moorings

More London Moorings

Ouch on the wallet, I don't doubt.

I wouldn't like to Cc in London, I wouldn't expect to come home and find my boat still where I left it, or still with glass in the windows.

Edited by BlueStringPudding

I agree with Blue String Pudding you can get a lot of boat for 50K and the one in the photie wouldn't do that for me.

As to your question, this forum as you may have gathered is the place to garner the negative opinions.

If you want the positive side then you are best off asking the people who do it by wandering the towpaths. I know people who have and do live around London without permanent moorings but an expensive boat is not one I'd choose for this.

Is the boat you're interested in Peggoty?

74683_1.jpg

15966187__1203704883__0__1-c43297f0c9efe13d1e4b316a205691b2.__big__.jpg

15966187__1203704883__0__2-05d869643180920463d5740b1ad9a814.__big__.jpg

10mm steel all over? Sounds heavy! Perhaps you can get something much newer for your £50k...? :D Someone on this forum might recognise the boat and know something about it?

Alternatively you can always go for something like this and if you can secure the mooring, perhaps flog the boat and buy something else to go on the mooring? Assuming regulation allows that...?

Boat and Yeading Mooring

Boat and Uxbridge Mooring

or there's just moorings, of course:

London Moorings

More London Moorings

Ouch on the wallet, I don't doubt.

I wouldn't like to Cc in London, I wouldn't expect to come home and find my boat still where I left it, or still with glass in the windows.

It is ~ and your response is really really helpful! Thank you very much!!

I actually like the fact that it is old (as long as condition is good) since I have a soft spot for history and the feel of age in craftmansship.

Your mooring links will be checked out tomorrow - my eyes are threatening to go square-shaped now from all the staring at PC, searching web.

Thanks again for taking time to give me all this info. :wacko:

I agree with Blue String Pudding you can get a lot of boat for 50K and the one in the photie wouldn't do that for me.

As to your question, this forum as you may have gathered is the place to garner the negative opinions.

If you want the positive side then you are best off asking the people who do it by wandering the towpaths. I know people who have and do live around London without permanent moorings but an expensive boat is not one I'd choose for this.

I did feel it was far more negative opinions, even with good intentions behind it. Forums tend to be that way ~ and I can understand people not wanting to give a rose-tinted view to me. Thanks though for pointing this out. :D

I shall indeed take time to talk to people along the canals. Do any of the people that you mentioned knowing move their boats in inner London - or do they stay in the outskirts?

PS. Pics of boat don't do it justice - the real boat (interior wise that is) is far more elegant than you would expect.

Although it's tempting, my advice is to try not to fall in love with a boat straight away, because this may cause you to make a mistake with your life savings.

Although it's just a cursory view, the boat in that picture looks like £35- £40K perhaps, but not £50K. Look at plenty of others before you buy.

Edited by blackrose

Although it's tempting, my advice is to try not to fall in love with a boat straight away, because this may cause you to make a mistake with your life savings.

Although it's just a cursory view, the boat in that picture looks like £35- £40K perhaps, but not £50K. Look at plenty of others before you buy.

DITTO :)

The only one I know is Honey Rider, but she isn't quite in london. Gypsy Rover have also been CCing in London over some of the winter, so you may get some information from them too.

It sounds as though you need to do a lot more research before jumping aboard, but you have come to one of the right places for it!

If you look at Apollo Duck and other websites you'll see that a lot of secondhand boats seem to be hanging around at the moment -- there is really no need to rush into it. You could also try one or two of the better brokers for advice -- the likes of ABNB and Virginia Currer are pretty helpful and Whilton Marina always has a stack of boats you can browse at will (without any pestering salesman at your shoulder). For £50k cash you should be able to haggle a good deal on a really nice, characterful boat.

Ask yourself whether you really need that RN vintage engine -- sure, it's lovely but it will jack the price of the boat up quite significantly and if something goes wrong it could be expensive. Also, if you're living on the boat an engine room takes up 8 - 10 ft of valuable living space.

But, I agree with most other views -- the moorings issue is the most important to get sorted.

I think you will find that the person who's name is on the side fitted it out not Ward. It is the boat sold to allegedly fund 'The Place in Greece' of the tv programme. It has been refitted since the original build which was also by the owner.

Sue

I would suggest that given the large number of people already on the system in London trying to do the same that it would be extremely risky and yes BW are cracking down on it. There aren't really enough visitor moorings in central london to accomodate everyone and the situation seems to be getting worse not better in the short term as there are limited places where new visitor moorings can safely be created.

Find a mooring first and then get the boat.

Best of luck,

D

The only one I know is Honey Rider, but she isn't quite in london. Gypsy Rover have also been CCing in London over some of the winter, so you may get some information from them too.

It sounds as though you need to do a lot more research before jumping aboard, but you have come to one of the right places for it!

To read Honey Ryder's blog click here?. There's some useful information from someone who's still (almost) in London.

To read Honey Ryder's blog click here?. There's some useful information from someone who's still (almost) in London.

Just read a few days of Honey Ryders blog. I haven't even fitted out my boat yet and I have a mooring and work nearby - but I was still tempted to sink my boat and slit my throat!!!

Hope it gets better when the sun is out:)

• 3 weeks later...
Just read a few days of Honey Ryders blog. I haven't even fitted out my boat yet and I have a mooring and work nearby - but I was still tempted to sink my boat and slit my throat!!!

Hope it gets better when the sun is out:)

Yeah - a cheery little read............

We are a bit confused.

What are BW cracking down on?

If you have a license and move on within 2 weeks and do not return to that area then you have complied.

If visitor moorings are 24 hours then move on after 24 hours so on and so forth.

Surely you can do this until you find a suitable mooring?

BW are cracking down on boaters who do not follow the guidelines. If you have a job in a particular place it can be pretty difficult sticking to the guidelines. Boating is time consuming. These guidelines have not really been enforced in the past, meaning that quite alot of boaters will hang around in one place until they get ticketed. TBH, I don't know who is to blame the most - the overstayers or BW who tolerated it in the first place.

In London there are very few visitor moorings (compared to the number of ccing boats in the area), meaning theres not really anywhere that easy to move to if you want to stick to the rules (unless you are prepared to move out of town and commute long distances). As Honey Rider is reporting in her blog, this can be a right pain in the backside and you can see how some will say 'oh sod it' and decide to stay put.

What we don't know is how far this crackdown will go. A boater was taken to court last year for non compliance and forced to remove his boat from the canal. Perhaps he was made an example of, perhaps it was a one off - who knows? He certainly wasn't the longest overstayer I've ever heard of!

What I do know is that when we travel through London, we usually find it difficult to find a mooring because they are mostly full.

Edited by Lady Muck