Cobalt blue

STIG

Featured Posts

Colour rendition will depend on the characteristics of the camera used to take the photo and the screen used to view it. You can get an idea of the colour by looking at colour swatches on a paint manufacturers website, but to get an idea of how it will look on a boat there is no substitute for actually viewing the boat in the flesh.

12 minutes ago, STIG said:

Does anyone have cobalt blue, ral 5013, on their boat. If so could you please post a photo, I would like to see what the colour looks like 

Mine is RAL5022 Night Blue which is a bit lighter/bluer than cobalt. Don't rely on photos, get a RAL colour fan, preferably the big gloss one so you can fan out your colour choices together, and look at then in daylight and sunlight. Small patches are useless to see what the result is going to look like...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/RAL-K5-Semi-Matte-Gloss/dp/B002M9DYQ4

3 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Colour rendition will depend on the characteristics of the camera used to take the photo and the screen used to view it. You can get an idea of the colour by looking at colour swatches on a paint manufacturers website, but to get an idea of how it will look on a boat there is no substitute for actually viewing the boat in the flesh.

True if you can find a boat in the exact colour you want, and it's been relatively newly painted.

If not a decent RAL colour fan is the best alternative, you can then also compare different colours -- you might well change your mind, I did... 😉 

P.S. @STIG  Where are you? You can borrow mine if you're anywhere near London... 😉 

Edited by IanD

37 minutes ago, IanD said:

True if you can find a boat in the exact colour you want, and it's been relatively newly painted.

Well the OP was asking for a photo of a boat in Cobalt Blue. If someone here has a boat painted that colour, the OP would be better viewing it for real than looking at a photo. As to being newly painted, surely that depends on whether the OP is interested in how his boat will look shortly after painting or a few years down the line!

8 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Well the OP was asking for a photo of a boat in Cobalt Blue. If someone here has a boat painted that colour, the OP would be better viewing it for real than looking at a photo. As to being newly painted, surely that depends on whether the OP is interested in how his boat will look shortly after painting or a few years down the line!

Since he'll be looking at it just after it's painted to decide whether he likes the result or not, looking at an old faded boat isn't going to be helpful... 😉 

Either way photos and anything viewed on-screen really can't be relied on, it depends too much on the camera/screen -- on my monitor right now the photos I posted look pretty close to real life (because I have the RAL swatches here to compare with), but that may not be true on a different monitor, or even if different lighting. Lighting conditions make a big difference, as I found out with reds -- the one I chose (Signal Red) was much more orange in real life and bright sunlight than I was expecting, given that I looked at the swatches in dull winter light... 😞 

If he can't find a boat in the right colour @STIG is welcome to borrow my RAL swatch book if he's anywhere nearby, otherwise I'd suggest lashing out £50 or so on one of his own. It sounds expensive but it's much cheaper than having to get a colour changed afterwards... 😉 

Edited by IanD

Take photo of the boat you want ti see.

Process it with Photoshop- there are free versions on line, albeit superseded.  There are other freeware image manipulators too.

It is remarkably easy to change colours and all the Pantone /RAL/BS381C shades are available.

N

2 minutes ago, BEngo said:

Take photo of the boat you want ti see.

Process it with Photoshop- there are free versions on line, albeit superseded.  There are other freeware image manipulators too.

It is remarkably easy to change colours and all the Pantone /RAL/BS381C shades are available.

N

But the colour rendering onscreen will be different to real life unless he calibrates hi screen and printer if he wants to print the image off.

He needs to see the colours by reflected light from the surface, rather than by relatively filtered light from LEDS or florescent tubes.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, STIG said:

Does anyone have cobalt blue, ral 5013, on their boat. If so could you please post a photo, I would like to see what the colour looks like 

We have just started a boat that will be cobalt blue predominantly, after the last 3 were midnight blue.

Gas locker and sides in CB, other in thundercoat and pearl white

20240425_083901.jpg

Edited by matty40s

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

We have just started a boat that will be cobalt blue predominantly, after the last 3 were midnight blue.

Gas locker and sides in CB, other in thundercoat and pearl white

20240425_083901.jpg

Where abouts is this matty